Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an 08 nismo 6mt. Recently for no obvious reason I've got abs/slip lights. Wires ok, fluid full, etc... I've been reading possibilities.

What I really want to know, is has anyone ever said enough with these sensors and just hot wired the 4x4?

Hypothetically you could drive way back in BFE, Then a sensor becomes irreparably damaged. 4wd is required to get out, now what?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Might be able to pull and then jump some fuses to make it work, but I'm not sure there wouldn't be damage caused by doing so. Also might be stuck in 4x4 once you get out of the woods. I think the real issue is that the ABS, traction control and 4x4 systems are all linked. At least in 4 high. Might be doable to force 4 lo.

I'm sure someone with more electrical brains than I will have a better answer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Could be abs control, wheel sensor or even the differential breather clogged,

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
The problem with trying to bypass the abs sensors is the wheel sensors are used for the speedo.
The ecm/tcm pick speed at transmission output and wheel.
If you have a Bullydog and you are in low range you will see your reported speed double of your actual speed (because BD grabs trans output)
So the fix for your scenario is either carry spare sensors or learn how the transfer case shifter works and enginerd a bypass there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I recall many years ago, I had an F-150 with an electric shift transfer case and it would not shift into 4WD when I was in BFE. I managed to remove the shift motor and turn the shaft with pliers to shift into 4H. Of course I also had to pull and cap the vacuum lines to the hubs in order to engage them.

I'm not sure who makes the transfer case for the Frontier. There are/were products out there to replace the shift motor with a manual control. The Shiftster is one. But as @Skinny06 you'll probably run into other issues since the systems are tied. I know my 2016 disables traction control in 4L and I think it also changes the shift points and/or slips the clutch packs longer.

Reactions: Skinny06
1 - 5 of 5 Posts