Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
2,177 Posts
Was it worth more than the price of paying 27 years of membership?

Roadside service companies don't offer their services out of the goodness of their hearts.

They're in it to make a profit - and the only way they can turn a profit is by taking in more money in subscription sales than they pay out in roadside assistance.
When I drove hoopties having AAA Plus coverage was cheaper than paying for private towing. I never really needed the service for roadside assistance.

Of late it hasn't been quite as useful for me but my wife was able to use it for a dead battery when I wasn't able to quickly respond to help her.

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
456 Posts
When I drove hoopties having AAA Plus coverage was cheaper than paying for private towing. I never really needed the service for roadside assistance.

Of late it hasn't been quite as useful for me but my wife was able to use it for a dead battery when I wasn't able to quickly respond to help her.
And that is priceless!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've had AAA for a long time, fortunately haven't needed them too much since I started buying newer vehicles, but it's a "peace of mind" thing knowing my wife can get help if I'm at work and can't get away. Do NOT have them install a battery, though - we were thoroughly bent over, no lube - not even a kiss. Unfortunately it was a situation where I wasn't able to get away from work and she needed to pick up our daughter from preschool, so we just had to take it....😳 They did warranty the battery about 18 months later and I didn't pay a dime, but I could have bought two batteries for the initial price.

I have one of the small jump starters from Costco and it has saved me a few times...as long as you remember to keep it charged. It's nice to have when out wheeling or when traveling to give me the ability to make it somewhere that I can replace the battery myself.

·
Super Moderator
20,385 Posts
I have one in each of my two vehicles. Never failed me yet when I jumped other people off that had problems. Even a Duramax diesel.
Sleeve Grey Font Wood Tool

·
Registered
532 Posts
This is my favorite thing I own. (I dont have this brand just a flex 10mm ratchet)
Tool Font Bicycle part Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Reactions: Bronwynson

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
I read this as I'm searching for my 10mm wrench and thinking I ought to just buy a bunch of them
Look online they sell multi packs.

Clint

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I have one in each of my two vehicles. Never failed me yet when I jumped other people off that had problems. Even a Duramax diesel. View attachment 349222
Same one I have. Unbelievable. It sat untouched in the back of my wife's RAV for about a year, pulled it the other day thinking it's starting to get colder out and I should check it's condition, just in case. 98% remaining charge, according to the on-board diag system. Just WOW. Yes, it's Chinese for certain, but some of their stuff really is pretty good. May have been engineered elsewhere. Who knows.

• Love
Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
This is my favorite thing I own. (I dont have this brand just a flex 10mm ratchet)
View attachment 349376
Oh, that's nice. I don't wrench for a living so I have a lesser knock-off brand set ( not articulated ) but they sure are nice. Used it just the other day.

·
Registered
701 Posts
While I do not travel alone or go off roading much... I do carry a set of jumpers, sturdy gloves, blanket, basic first aid kit, and some basic tools anywhere I go. Over the years I have expanded to a portable air compressor, four way tire iron, some wood blocks, and more tools specific to the vehicle at hand. There are not too many places I have gone that are not close to civilization. If I do plan on a more remote area, I pack accordingly. It all depends. Life's traveling lessons WILL burn a reminder into those that experienced it 😁 Nice to hear some of these stories and ideas that I would not have thought of myself. (y)

·
Registered
54 Posts
This hits home. Any 10 mm wrench should really be sold as a 6 pack at the very least.

I also got stranded by a dead battery and locked-in key in the middle of nowhere while early ice fishing (4 to 5", yes, the truck remained on shore).

I ended up breaking glass to gain entry, but the truck was dead, about 40 km off the highway. I ended up walking through an ever increasing snow storm for most of the day. Thankfully I was prepared with clothes, food and water. Finally found a cabin that was still inhabited in late fall/early winter. The owner drove me back through the snow, and as we were starting out he asked me if I had a dog along? "No, why?" There was a large set of wolf prints following my tracks for a few km, before the snow covered up the evidence 😳

I now have extra keys, a jump pack and a handful of 10 mm sockets scattered about. Also bailing wire, zip ties and Gorilla tape (TM).

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
424 Posts
They sell entire tool kits like this at Costco for around $120 (Canadian). I've got one always in the truck. Used to help out numerous people too...(have never needed it for myself yet).

That and good old jumper cables. I do mean to pick up a booster pack though...

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Musical instrument Yellow Automotive parking light

·
Registered
516 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts