Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck stranded me in the middle of nowhere. It would not start. There was some juice but not enough to crank. I recognized this as either a bad battery or bad connection. So I jiggled the connections with no results.

I have AAA and they came out quickly and found I had a bad connection (red). They had a wrench and quickly fixed the problem. AAA has really improved their service as getting service is now by text. It used to be by phone. Very fast and accurate service. But of course they tried to upsell me on a new battery.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Could buy a lot of these with an AAA membership...

Temperature Bicycle part Tool Font Metal

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,624 Posts
Vice grips, pliers, duct tape, zap straps, and a multi bit screwdriver are kept in the truck. I keep a lot more on my Harley. lol

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Any manufacturer that uses small units to make their numbers sound big sets off my BS detector.

Woo, it's got 20,000 mAh!!!

Wowee!!!

That's 20 amp-hours. :sleep:

Reactions: 20009

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Any manufacturer that uses small units to make their numbers sound big sets off my BS detector.

Woo, it's got 20,000 mAh!!!

Wowee!!!

That's 20 amp-hours. :sleep:
Totally different tech between the old packs and new. I have for over 3 decades carried some type of jump starter pack. The very old ones I first have experience with was just a car battery that was housed in a plastic case with 2 jumper leads attached. This is what the OP linked. They were big and heavy and essentially the same as just carrying a spare car battery. 15 years or so ago, they started coming out with these small jump packs. I was of course suspicious of these. How could something so small jump a car with a dead battery. After reading a few reviews I bought one (harbor freight). About the size of 4 decks of cards and weigh 5ish pounds. The secret is the capacitor bank. The battery itself is relatively small. It stores up juice in the capacitor and sends it to the engine/battery in one punch starting the car. I have jump started dozen of cars with my packs.

One thing to note is that these jump packs do not have as much juice as a similarly sized battery charge pack (like for your cell phone). The batteries in these type of jump packs are relatively small compared to the size of the case. The rest of the space is for the electronics.

As for the ratings, I am not sure my H8.5 can start a 8.5L with a completely dead battery. But I can tell you it will start a 4.0 Frontier and Tacoma fine, and several times before needing a recharge. THe mAh rating is how they rate USB battery charge packs so they are simply keeping with convention.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could buy a lot of these with an AAA membership...

View attachment 348685
I've had a AAA subscription for 27 years. Once while driving on lonely Highway 5 in central California on a labor day weekend, my fuel pump died. Called AAA at 10pm. The driver showed up and told me if he dropped me off at a nearby garage, they'd charge me an arm and a leg on a holiday weekend.
BUT, my AAA membership would cover a free tow all the way back home where I could take my car to my mechanic on Monday Morning. The one way distance back to my house in Los Angeles was 186 miles! No Charge!

That was worth the price of membership.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
THe mAh rating is how they rate USB battery charge packs so they are simply keeping with convention.
The batteries in the vehicles they will be used to jump are rated in amp-hours.

If they were interested in honest specifications, that would be the convention they would adhere to.

That was worth the price of membership.
Was it worth more than the price of paying 27 years of membership?

Roadside service companies don't offer their services out of the goodness of their hearts.

They're in it to make a profit - and the only way they can turn a profit is by taking in more money in subscription sales than they pay out in roadside assistance.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I use the Halo Bolt since it has an AC port and wireless charging and it fits great in top glove box. Got the wifey one first and liked it so much I got one JIC. I think the neighbors have used it more than me though. Lol.

Reactions: 20009

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
456 Posts
Having a basic set of tools is a wise idea. So is a basic survival kit. I keep various items under my back seat just for day to day stuff. If I'm going on a long trip or up in the hills I toss in my go-bin. It only takes one long cold night to make a believer out of you.

Last fall my wife and I came across a couple of young ladies walking down a rough forest spur road. Seems they high centered their Subaru on the oil pan (cracked it open) late in the afternoon and spent the night shivering in their car. Shorts, halter tops, and flip-flops were all they had on. Honestly couldn't believe the Subaru got as far as it did. We took them home and it wasn't a pretty sight. It was mom's new Subaru and the girls were supposed to be going up to the family cabin but took a little detour. We beat a hasty retreat. The girls thanked us profusely. Mom.....well.....no.

They would have been a lot warmer had they had at least a blanket. No cell coverage either which was a shock to them.

It snowed the next day and I think the Subaru may still be up there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have this jump starter https://smile.amazon.com/Starter-20...36&sprefix=lithium+jump++audew,aps,197&sr=8-4

It's fits under the driver seat. I've jumped my Frontier, Titan XD, a chevy truck, a tundra, a subaru, and a couple boats with 200hp motors. It does its job perfectly. I charge it once a quarter or so after having it discharge by charging something through USB. I still carry jumper cables but honestly I don't know why when I have this around

·
Registered
532 Posts
This one advertises double the starting power o_O Amazon.com

Looks like project farm tested it.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Actually they would use CCA.
If that was the case, they would be using CCmA right now.

(Wow - it's got 720,000 Cold Cranking milliamps!)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This one advertises double the starting power o_O Amazon.com

Looks like project farm tested it.
PROJECT FARM FTW!!!! I bought the Gooloo 4000 after watching this!!! Can do up to like 10L diesel... used it a few times already

Reactions: ssundet
1 - 20 of 41 Posts