Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to use my fog lights as daytime running lights since we seem to have so many people in my area that just pull out in front of you from stop signs as if they can't see you coming. I wanted my fogs to automatically come on ANYTIME the ignition was on. I know they will also be on anytime the headlights and especially the high beams are on but I can't remember the last time I was able to use the high beams anyway with all the traffic these days so I figured that was not going to be a problem.

I did not want to screw with the factory wiring for the fogs so I just bought two H11 plugs with wiring pigtails on them. I unplugged the factory fogs plugs and plugged in my own wiring harness. I filled the factory plugs with dielectric grease to waterproof them and just zip tied them up out of the way.

I used a mini fuse add-a-line fuse adapter in the reverse lights fuse spot in the under hood fuse block to tap off my new circuit. This circuit is only hot when the ignition is on and supplies power to a relay that I just zip tied to the wiring bundle above the fuse block. I did cut a small notch in the side of the fuse block cover for the wire to exit from. The relay is wired directly to the battery and then down to the new fog plugs. All wires are zip tied and inserted into plastic wiring conduit. Everything works great - anytime the ignition is on, the relay is energized and turns on the fogs for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Perfect....that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,189 Posts
My only concern is that those add-a-fuse things are only rated to 10A (at least the one I bought is) and you have a 20A fuse in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 4x4 LE Crew Cab that I wanted to install DTRL on. At first I thought I would just install some type of separate lighting, but pricing different options I decided it was more money than I wanted to spend ($100.00 or more). So I decided to use the fog lights instead. I apologize up front for the length of this post and it may sound technical, but the process is quite simple.

I bought a SPDT automotive relay and a 20amp inline fuse holder off of Amazon, total cost $24.00. For those who may not know, a SPDT relay is a Single Pole Double Throw relay. This means it has a single common contact that connects to either a NC (normally closed) or a NO (normally open) contact depending on its energized state. So if the relay is in the OFF state the NC contact passes current. If the relay is in the ON state the NO contact passes current. This setup allows the fog lights to operate using the trucks standard controls and to function as DTRL , as I explain below. All the wiring is done under the hood.

The relay requires 12vdc power to turn it on. I used the power from the marker lights for turning the relay ON or OFF. When the marker lights are ON the relay will be ON, if they are OFF the relay will be OFF. For power to the fog lights we will use the NC contact on the relay. In the fuse box under the hood you will need to check and find a wire that is only hot when the ignition switch is in the ON/START position. On my truck it was a white wire with a green stripe on it (reference the wiring diagram in the service manual). I connected it to the Common contact on the relay. I then connected the NC contact to the orginal positive wire that feeds the fog lights, it was a purple wire on my truck, (again check the service manual).

After wiring I double checked everything and tested the operation and it works perfectly. I can now start the truck and the fog lights come on. If I turn the headlights on the fog lights go off, unless they are turned on at the lighting stalk.
I hope write up this helps someone.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I wanted to use my fog lights as daytime running lights since we seem to have so many people in my area that just pull out in front of you from stop signs as if they can't see you coming.
My comment about the original post above:
Those drivers see you, there's just rude, incompetent, or F-Tards.

Try driving an old VW, even mine that has a large 1835cc engine faster than their modern car; driver will pull out and I'll have to slam my brakes to avoid a collision. Once I actually broke the horn ring in such situation !

Reactions: Gdubz

·
Registered
894 Posts
OP You devised a very simple solution for DRL. I bought stip lights that I squeezed in the gap between the bumper and the painted plastic part just below the grill on both sides. These LEDs were amber and white. The white operated as a DRL and the yellow as turn signals. The lights worked perfectly but after about 6 months one led strip light died and I had to take those off.
RON531. Do you have a circuit diagram for what you did?

·
Registered
2018 Arctic Blue SV KC 2WD V6 AT.
24 Posts
I have a 2006 4x4 LE Crew Cab that I wanted to install DTRL on. At first I thought I would just install some type of separate lighting, but pricing different options I decided it was more money than I wanted to spend ($100.00 or more). So I decided to use the fog lights instead. I apologize up front for the length of this post and it may sound technical, but the process is quite simple.

I bought a SPDT automotive relay and a 20amp inline fuse holder off of Amazon, total cost $24.00. For those who may not know, a SPDT relay is a Single Pole Double Throw relay. This means it has a single common contact that connects to either a NC (normally closed) or a NO (normally open) contact depending on its energized state. So if the relay is in the OFF state the NC contact passes current. If the relay is in the ON state the NO contact passes current. This setup allows the fog lights to operate using the trucks standard controls and to function as DTRL , as I explain below. All the wiring is done under the hood.

The relay requires 12vdc power to turn it on. I used the power from the marker lights for turning the relay ON or OFF. When the marker lights are ON the relay will be ON, if they are OFF the relay will be OFF. For power to the fog lights we will use the NC contact on the relay. In the fuse box under the hood you will need to check and find a wire that is only hot when the ignition switch is in the ON/START position. On my truck it was a white wire with a green stripe on it (reference the wiring diagram in the service manual). I connected it to the Common contact on the relay. I then connected the NC contact to the orginal positive wire that feeds the fog lights, it was a purple wire on my truck, (again check the service manual).

After wiring I double checked everything and tested the operation and it works perfectly. I can now start the truck and the fog lights come on. If I turn the headlights on the fog lights go off, unless they are turned on at the lighting stalk.
RON531, great job and write-up! I re-wired my fog lights as DRLs, too. I also changed out the fog lights to LEDs. So instead of 55 watts for each light, I used DRL LEDs that are equivalent to a 50 watt bulb but only use 5 watts each. The fog light lens, which used to almost immediately become too hot to touch, now stays much cooler. The lights aren't as bright as fog lights, which is exactly what I wanted for DRLs.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Ron, I recently bought a brand new '21 Frontier with an old design. Obviously, no DTRLs. Your DTRL solution sounds just perfect. I'm up for duplicating it on my truck, but would really appreciate a diagram of what you've done. Do you have one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts