Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw the other thread where people just taped the fuse. I was never a fan of that. So i decided to do this with a SPDT relay. I don't know if anyone as written this up yet, but here it is

you pins on the relay are as follows

30= fused 12 volt
85= ground
86= trigger (or the parking light wire)
87= to the fog lights
87a= not used

you can grap 12volt and ground from the battery, the parking light wire is the top harness of the head light assemble (3 wire plug, gray wire is the one you want) and the fog light is in the fuse box (use the pin facing towards the ground)

Also, there is a great place to mount the relay. It is as it was meant to go there. see pics below

standard relay wired on the bench

relay mounting, right behind the negative battery post

relay mounted

wires ran to the parking light

fog light wire in the fuse box (you should run the wires into the box through the factory grommet, it is like a door that lifts up)

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Could you please clarify?

Does this do the exact same thing as the other "mod" just wiring a different way and to a different location? or Does this make the fogs come on when parking lights are turned on? or Can one have parking lights on without fog lights with this method?

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, it works like the other mod. But i did hid fogs, and didn't like the idea of jumping a fuse. If you did want to be able to turn the lights on whenever, you could just use pin 86 to an 12v ACC, and then connect 87 to the turn on wire of both fog lights

Actually, even without hid's it is much safer to use a relay than jumping the fuse like that

· Registered
5,941 Posts
no, it works like the other mod. But i did hid fogs, and didn't like the idea of jumping a fuse. If you did want to be able to turn the lights on whenever, you could just use pin 86 to an 12v ACC, and then connect 87 to the turn on wire of both fog lights

Actually, even without hid's it is much safer to use a relay than jumping the fuse like that
your adding an extra relay that isnt needed. both the parking lights and the fog lights have there own relays that are activated via the fuse panel. the writeup i did using the fuse tap is as simple and as safe as it gets. everything is protected via there stock relays. NOW, that being said, you could use a relay with a trigger wire from a switch inside so you can turn the lights on and off by themselves instead of having to turn the parking lights off as well. but i did my mod because i ride with my parking lights on and wanted my fogs on whenever i have the parking lights on.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
..you could use a relay with a trigger wire from a switch inside so you can turn the lights on and off by themselves instead of having to turn the parking lights off as well..
^or being able to use just the parking lamps w/trigger ground switched(my set-up).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.