Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a fog light kit for my 02. None at the junk yard. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
There's not much to it. All you need is a headlight switch for a 2002 Frontier "with fog lamps," the fog lamp relay, two plastic snap clips and the two fog lamps. The wiring is already installed; the connectors are lying on the engine side of the radiator support (I had to clean out a bunch of dirt and pine needles to find mine).

Go to Rockauto.com and get the economy headlamp switch for fog lamps for $23 and the fog lamp relay for $13.

Here's a link to a $35 fog lamp kit that will fit your Frontier; you won't need the switch nor electrical harness:

You'll also need four of Nissan P/N 26399-40U00, about $10 for the set of 4 from your Nissan dealer. These plastic grommets push into the holes in the bumper cover and the metal pins on the back of the fog lamp housing will lock into them when you push the lamp into the bumper.

So, it'll cost you about $100 including shipping, give or take, for everything. If you got the genuine Nissan parts, you'd probably be looking at around $400-ish.

Reactions: Spyke438

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,204 Posts
The combo switch w/ integrated fog lamp switch can be pulled from the 1st Gen Xterra as well.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,099 Posts
or, a 20" led light bar with harness and switch from amazon is 20 bucks.

my truck had the warn fog lights, in addition to the stock ones. someone stupidly stole the lights and cut the harness just between the lights and the plug, instead of just unplugging them. anyways, I bought the 20 dollar led bar and mounted it to the factory brush guard right where the fog lights were mounted and then used that warn harness to power it. works great but the harness that came with the light bar would have worked just as well. its long enough to reach everywhere to mount into our trucks. whoever installed the warn stuff put the switch just below the two black blanks on the left side of the steering wheel, right above your knee. works out great

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Everything shipped. Unfortunately it looks like my truck was not pre-wires for fog light. I cannot locate the connector to use with the factory stalk.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Ok. Everything shipped. Unfortunately it looks like my truck was not pre-wires for fog light. I cannot locate the connector to use with the factory stalk.
Check your relay box and look for the connector for the fog lamp relay. When you find it, see if there are 4 metal terminals in the connector. If there are, there's wiring for your fog lamps and you just haven't looked hard enough! If it stops raining here, I'll see if I can get a picture of where mine are on my 2003. Mine came without fog lamps from the factory.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
My 04 also didn't have the fog light wiring. I had to add a relay and run wire out to the fogs.
Does your stalk look like this? If yes I can tell you exactly what you need to do.
They'll only turn on and off when the low beams are on and will turn off when hi beams are on. Same as oem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the stalk I purchased. It has the white connector with foam but there is nothing to plug into it.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
That is the stalk I purchased. It has the white connector with foam but there is nothing to plug into it.
Well that sucks but not a problem. You're going to have to cut the white connector off and splice directly to those 2 wires or get the missing connector from a JY.
Hopefully you're familiar with adding relays. If not...no worries. Adding the fog light wiring and relay is not complicated. I'm assuming your kit came with wiring and relay socket but I just ran wire and spliced to a relay socket I had laying around. So this is how I did it without a wiring kit.

Let's start with the plug you're missing. It has two wires. Red/black and red/green.
20200425_222150-1.jpg

The red/black wire will have to connect to relay terminal 86.

The red/green wire will have to be spliced to the red/black wire (low beam) on the lower brown harness that plugs into the stalk. I used the despised 3M T-tap. It actually doesn't matter which wire you tap into the low beam. Either one will work as long as the other goes to relay terminal 86.
20200425_222705-1-1.jpg

The rest of the relay wiring terminals -

30 - Constant 12v fused. I used a add-a-circuit into the interior fuse panel Room Lamp.
2020-04-26 00.07.38.jpg

85 - Ground

86 - Red/black wire from fog light switch.

87 - Out to the fog lights.

2020-04-27 18.49.59.png

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Hopefully I didn't botch the explanation. And there are other ways to tap into wires. As much as I dislike T-taps...I do occasionally use them on my vehicles.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Check your relay box and look for the connector for the fog lamp relay. When you find it, see if there are 4 metal terminals in the connector. If there are, there's wiring for your fog lamps and you just haven't looked hard enough! If it stops raining here, I'll see if I can get a picture of where mine are on my 2003. Mine came without fog lamps from the factory.
It looks like the KA24DE models don't even have a location in the relay box for fogs. I searched for the fog connectors multiple times before I decided to run the wiring. I even looked again when this thread was posted.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Well, you def know you don't have it pre-wired, now! Too bad, but not the end of the world!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stopped by the jy today and picked up the white plug I am missing.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The power wire going out to the fogs from relay terminal 87 is branched off so each light has their own power feed. Wired in parallel....not in series.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I was out I forgot to pick up a T-tap. I’ll pick one up tomorrow and finish the job

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Just fyi....t-taps not only cut thru the insulation but also cut some of the wire. But I felt comfortable using one in this application because I knew I would not have to touch it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm kinda late to this thread, but my 2003 Frontier XE crew Cab is prewired for fog lights. I bought everything I need:
  1. new stalk
  2. OEM lights
  3. H3 halogen bulbs (55w)
  4. Relay (Rockauto)
I'm halfway into the job and found out the relay doesn't fit. I went to the dealer and they said they no long sell that relay, that I'd need to by a whole new relay block (~$200) and all new relays for everything??? I'll give Rockauto a call on Monday, just wondering if anyone else ran into this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts