Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done that? How was it? I search here and xterranation and could not find anything on the subject.

I am looking for a part time use of a CB radio for the 3 times a year I am going off road. There is a problem somewhere in my FM antenna and/or wire as if I turn the headlight on, I got no reception. I am still using the OEM rockford fosgate radio with CD (i know, i know, the '90s want it back :p) I dont want to swap radio as it is fine for my use. I was thinking of swapping the FM antenna for a CB one and then someday, add a AM/FM/CB splitter to get FM radio back.

The stock FM antenna is 2' 6''. I was thinking of a 4' fiberglass antenna with spring.

I am a total noob on CB. I read a bit and understand that the antenna makes the setup. So... There I am wondering what the heck I am doing XD. There is no shop nearby that are knowledgeable to help me. All they know is what sells...

Anyway, I am looking for help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Question, No Idea, I'm Sure the Jeep Forums have all these answers.
I search there and the issue is, jeeps and frontier are not the same trucks. They usualy suggest to install it on the rear bumper. I cant do that. For installing in the stock location, they also need a way shorter antenna. I have seen 2' on jeeps that were enough.

Bringing it back to the Frontier, I went to a local electronics shop and the guy there suggest me to use a metal whip instead. I am unsure of that but I am looking around now on jeep forum to see.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My folks were total CB nerds back in the 70s. Cobra used to be the best brand of radios, and yes a good antenna is paramount. a 4'-6' whip mounted to the rear bumper works, or a 2'-3' can be mounted on the roof if you aren't using a rack up there. If you go with a long whip, resist the urge to to mount the top somewhere to keep it still, that can ruin the reception. Another thing to be aware of is your microphone. Most good radios come with decent ones, but you can buy aftermarket mics that are way better. Check truck stops and ask around there, those guys know their stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My folks were total CB nerds back in the 70s. Cobra used to be the best brand of radios, and yes a good antenna is paramount. a 4'-6' whip mounted to the rear bumper works, or a 2'-3' can be mounted on the roof if you aren't using a rack up there. If you go with a long whip, resist the urge to to mount the top somewhere to keep it still, that can ruin the reception. Another thing to be aware of is your microphone. Most good radios come with decent ones, but you can buy aftermarket mics that are way better. Check truck stops and ask around there, those guys know their stuff.
Also, not sure if it's changed or not, but in the late 70s, CBs had become so popular that the FCC decided they needed regulation and they required licenses.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You are not going to want to run a 4' fiberglass antenna all day every day.

I have mine mounted to the bed rail and almost always have the antenna behind my rear seat as I use it only randomly. got tired of smacking it on things.
agreed there, if you only plan to use it occasionally, you definitely want to mount it so that it's easy to remove and store when not in use. Bed rail behind the cab is a good spot. You can also consider running dual antennas if you want more range and less directionality.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got the factory roof rack that I plan to use for kayaks from time to time. I would like to run the antenna all day everyday just because I can and I don't want to have to go out and install it every time there is an highway trip in view. I will use it for traffic info as well as offroad. Guest I should have said that before. Would I be better to mount it center on the truck? Let's say in the middle of the bed by the back window? It will go in front of the brake light but it is not a big deal here.

You are not going to want to run a 4' fiberglass antenna all day every day.

I have mine mounted to the bed rail and almost always have the antenna behind my rear seat as I use it only randomly. got tired of smacking it on things.
Why would I not want to? I am asking to understand as I have no experience in that stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mostly because an antenna that big is going to sway a lot and bang into the cab and such. You can mitigate that some by putting a tennis ball on it where it hits, but it will still bounce around a lot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulling in and out of your garage, parking garages, etc....
I dont have a garage and dont plan to keep my truck in one. My miss would take the spot in an heartbeat ;)

I never went into a parking garage in 10 years of driving. They are just that uncommon here. So beside that, what could make ne not want a 4' fiberglass antenna?

mostly because an antenna that big is going to sway a lot and bang into the cab and such. You can mitigate that some by putting a tennis ball on it where it hits, but it will still bounce around a lot.
Should I worry about any bounce at all whit a tennis ball? I mean it will hit at every stop so would it make it prone to failures? Otherwise, I could just come back to my original plan to install it where the FM antenna is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ultimately it's up to you depending on how and where you drive. A longer heavier antenna is going to sway and bang into things more. Even putting a damper (tennis ball) on it will only mute it some.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Best spot is on the roof. That way the signal goes out rather evenly from the truck. If you put a 102" whip on the driver's side of the rear bumper, almost all of the signal will be sent out in the direction of the passenger side front corner.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best spot is on the roof. That way the signal goes out rather evenly from the truck. If you put a 102" whip on the driver's side of the rear bumper, almost all of the signal will be sent out in the direction of the passenger side front corner.
I know the best spot is on the roof, for highway use. If you get offroad with an antenna on the roof, you will hit it and loose it. That is why I am making to choice to put it down on the hood. Yes, I will loose range but I will be able to keep an eye on it for low hanging branches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts