Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up and wasn't thinking.. I have my transmission out right now and I was putting my harmonic balancer on and i had a stupid moment and put a punch thru the flywheel bolt hole for the torque converter to tighten the harmonic balancer.... Needless to say it bent the hole.. I turned the engine over by hand and there's no noticeable wobble.. should I chance it? Or should I replace it while I have the transmission out. BC pulling the transmission is a P.I.T.A.. any advice is welcome

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I attached pictures of it... I'm really scared to put transmission back in just to have problems.. do you think tightening will straighten this out good enough?

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I went to mechanic school, the rule of thumb was to replace anything questionable unless you are just scabbing parts to get to a safe location (pulling a vehicle off of the freeway when you can't get a tow). Go with your gut and replace it now while it is convenient enough, spend a little more now and save HUGE down the road!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I should have known when he said torque converter... flex plate right.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
It doesn't look "too bad," but I agree with the others. It's not worth chancing have to pull the trans out again. 4-cyl. flexplates can be tough to find. The usual options are either a Nissan dealer or a salvage yard. You can try Ebay and Car-part.com if you can't find one locally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put the one I bent back in.. it was just around the bolt hole and didn't warp it.. it straightened out when I tightened down ( I know BC I've had it back out already lol) it doesn't vibrate or anything.. thanks for the replies

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Unless you used a dial indicator to check run out of the flex plate, I would not trust this. Even a small amount of run out can cause issues with the torque converter, front pump seal and pump. For the cost of a new flex plate, I would not risk it. Things might bolt up and slide together, but, expect issues down the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a dial indicator but haven't checked it but it's not wobbling or anything.. and I would have replaced it but figuring since it's my way to work and I was strapped for time I couldn't wait for part so I put it back together.. buying a dependable way to go this weekend and then I'll have time to go thru this thing and make it about brand new. Already this deep in it might as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts