Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched but haven't quite found the answer I am looking for.

It is my understanding that doing a flush on an vehicle with high mileage is not recommended.

However, I have a 07 SE CC w/36k I just grabbed and I have no clue as to what the maintenance history is. The dealer changed the oil and "inspected and certified" it but nothing else (tranny, front/rear diff) wasn't done by the dealer. As a good measure on sanity and great feed from the forum, I am replacing all fluids with Amsoil.

My first question is, do I do a full flush or just multiple drain and fills as some have suggested?

Second, if doing the full flush (14qts?), do I drop the transmission pan and replace the filter as well?

Lastly, is it recommended to add an additive to the tranny? The Auto shop I would have do the full flush, highly recommended a BG additive in addition to the Amsoil. Not sure about that as I have not read anything on here about that as well as the owners manual.

All advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bryan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wrong section?

did I post this in the wrong section? Do I need to upgrade in order to post this in the appropriate section or get a response?

Mods any suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just my 2 cents...

I will never do a Flush, new or used. After speaking to mechanic friends/reading & being screwed from GM after spending almost 70,000 on a truck, always dealer serviced and just 800 miles out of warranty did the dealer suggest a trans flush and 1 day after that the trans died...NO help from GM for the cost.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
X2

I've never paid to have flushes done on any vehicle we've owned and have gotten over 230,000 Miles on all of them. If fluids are changed per the schedule, I think flushes are a waste of money. With only 36,000 Miles on your "new" '07, simply changing the fluids and filters should suffice. I can't address your automatic tranny query, as I've never owned one. Good luck to you and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
no "additive" needed. there just trying to make more money off you. i would, disconnect the trans lines from the cooler and drain out 4-5 qts, fill the trans, drain again, 3-4qts, fill, drain again 3-4 qts, fill. do that till the fluid being pumped out is nice and red as it should be and your GTG. no filter to replace on the trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the advise.

Drain and fill it is. I understand this process from all of the write-ups.

What about dropping the pan and replacing the filter. How does this work in conjunction with the drain and fill? I feel like I should change the filter as well?

·
Registered
102 Posts

What about dropping the pan and replacing the filter. How does this work in conjunction with the drain and fill? I feel like I should change the filter as well?

Me, I change filters, as for this truck I haven't had it long enough to do it as of yet but I will when the time comes.

:goodjob:

·
Registered
90 Posts

There is no filter, there is a mesh screen that can be cleaned and reinstalled or replaced. But from what I gather, most people are leaving them be.

Maybe clean it out every few drain and fills? That's my plan anyway...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"no filter" ugh! I just ordered one last night from Amsoil. I thought that there was an internal filter, not just the screen. i guess i will have to see if Amsoil will take it back. Or if it's just a replacment for the actual screen, maybe I will just put it in anyway.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Oh...is there a write-up with pics on how to hook up everything for the D/F process mentioned above?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Grabbed a service reccomendation shreadsheet from a local dealership while I was getting it serviced the other day these are their flushing reccomendations (in kilometres):

Oil Change & Inspection 6000k
Oil Desludge/Engine flush 24 000k

Brake service 30 000 K
Brake Flush 54 000K

Coolant Conditioner 24 000 K
Coolant Flush 48 000 K

Power Steering Flush 54 000 K

Transmission Flush 48 000 K

4x4 Service 54 000 K

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Before you drain anything, make sure you check the fluid level to see if it is in the okay range. There is no point using the same amount of fluid as drained to fill if it is too much.

Since you are going Amsoil, I would suggest that you do the 2 bucket trick. You disconnect the lines from the trans cooler. Put the Send (from the trans) into an empty bucket. Put the other side (suck) into a full bucket of trans fluid. Then turn the truck on and run thru the gears manually without moving. Just make sure you shut it down before the new fluid container is empty. Then re-connect everything and top off the fluid if needed. This is the only style of flushing that should be done. Any outside pressure or reverse flushing could cause issues with seals and solenoids and etc...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice....appreciate all the input. I will take the advice and just do it myself. It sounds safer than taking the risk of flushing the system.

Thanks again fella's for the advice.

:goodjob:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the two bucket is the only way your going to get all of the old fluid out at one time instead of just diluting the old in new fluid. drain and fill after drain and fill. its what i do on every vehicle with the occasional dropping of the pan to clean the screen and magnets. its the way to go

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The two questions I have about the 2 bucket trick is: How fast does the fluid exit the transmission? Also, do you have to manually switch thru the gears at all or just keep it in park or neutral?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i haven't done it with this truck yet but i did on my z (same auto tranny) and it had a good flow to it but it wasn't like a fire hose or anything. as far as shifting while doing it, i have everytime, couldn't tell ya if doing it is going to make any difference at all but i do it. when ever i do the flush i always have one other person with me, one keeps an eye on the levels in the buckets and one in the truck shifting and ready to shut it off

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Thanks for the info sir. When I am due for my next trans service I may do this instead of the standard D/F.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It won't hurt a low mileage vehicle to flush the tranny. Doing it on a high mileage tranny that hasn't been serviced regularly can be really bad news but flushing a tranny that has been serviced often is also OK.

It's all about the contaminents, where they are hiding in the tranny, how much is in there and where it ends up during a flush. A tranny that has been serviced often has little or no contaminents lurking in the nooks and crannies that will be dislodged to end up who knows where. A tranny that has not been serviced is likely being held together by the very contaminents you think need to be removed. It is a documented fact that unserviced auto trannies that get flushed fail more often than if just left alone and the fluid changed through the pan. On other vehicles (Fords for one) the radiator tranny cooler is a fine mesh material inside. Very often flushing the tranny (which also flushes the torque converter) flushes normal wear and tear clutch material into the inlet of the cooler, partially plugging it, and causing a tranny failure due to overheat or restricted fluid flow. How do I know that? Lets just say I definately know that to be true :-O

I'm in the same boat with you except that I KNOW the tranny was flushed when it was required to be throughout the 78K on the truck and at 76K just before I bought it. It even said so on the CarFax report and what dealer did it. But, I can't find documentation about the other fluids so I'm changing them all out to new synthetic. The dealer who did the tranny flushes (also listed on the CarFax) told me the transfer case and diffs were not serviced when they recently flushed the tranny.

At least when I'm done I'll have a starting point.

Question: While under the truck I noticed some sort of blue sealant around the fill plugs on the front, rear differentials and transfer case. It that factory sealant? I don't have any other Nissan Frontiers to compare to what I see there. I do know that the transfer case fill plug is barely seeping fluid a bit (enough so I get some on my finger when I touch the bottom edge of the plug) so that is just another good reason to just change out my fluids and be done with it.

Larry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since you are going Amsoil, I would suggest that you do the 2 bucket trick. You disconnect the lines from the trans cooler. Put the Send (from the trans) into an empty bucket. Put the other side (suck) into a full bucket of trans fluid. .
Which line is the "Send", and which line is the "Suck"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which line is the "Send", and which line is the "Suck"?
What I was wondering as well?

I really think I'm going to go with this process. Seems safer and a better alternative. too many potenetial issues with the flush from what I have gathered. I don't mind trying, but would feel a bit more comfortable with any additional info I can get with this.

Does anyone have any pics for actually doing this process or where and what the actual "suck" and "drain" lines look like & location???

If I can get some of the additional details needed to do this, I can try and take and post additional pics I take as well. Maybe have someone (with experience) take my pics and do a full detailed right up!

·
Registered
90 Posts
What I was wondering as well?

I really think I'm going to go with this process. Seems safer and a better alternative. too many potenetial issues with the flush from what I have gathered. I don't mind trying, but would feel a bit more comfortable with any additional info I can get with this.

Does anyone have any pics for actually doing this process or where and what the actual "suck" and "drain" lines look like & location???

If I can get some of the additional details needed to do this, I can try and take and post additional pics I take as well. Maybe have someone (with experience) take my pics and do a full detailed right up!
I'd love some pics or better as well...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts