Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local exhaust shop install a Flowmaster on my Nismo CC. I told them I didn't want anything too loud so they recommended a 50 Series SUV muffler. They had a cool idea to get rid of the Y-pipe totally. They installed a dual 2.25 inch inlet with a single 3 inch outlet muffler. I wanted it to look like stock coming out the back behind the wheel still. Well my question is... it seems like my gas mileage went down. I looked at Flowmasters website and they say this muffler can be used on the Titans. Do you think it is too freeflowing? See this link for the muffler.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3301

Sorry for being long winded.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nope, your gas mileage went down b/c you are just enjoying the sound of your new muffler thus making you step on the throttle a tad harder lol.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I installed a dual in dual out Flo-Pro exhaust on my truck using the stock size tailpipe that
exits in the same area as the stock tailpipe. I too have had a decrease in mpg. I
have had mine on long enough that I don't have to hear it all of the time and the gasoline
mileage is still lower than what it used to be by 3 or 4 mpg.

I hope to have my Volant CAI this week and I hope that that will help me to gain back
part of what I lost to the duals.

If you have not seen my exhaust you can see it at www.picturetrail.com.okiescot.

OkieScot

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gas Mileage Loss

Well after about two tanks of gas I figured I lost about 1 mpg at most so it wasn't a big loss. I'll try to get my truck on the dyno after I get my Volant Intake also. If I see some numbers that match the Rev's website then I'll feel better.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I like that idea of the dual in/single out! Do you have any pics of your set-up? I wouldn't think your set up would be too free flowing as it uses the stock inlet size combined and feeding a 3" outlet. Most of the aftermarket systems have 3" pipes joined at the "Y" and a 3" single inlet/outlet on the muffler. I don't see where it would be much different having the pipes join within the muffler instead of in a "Y" pipe! Plus, your inlets are stock!

·
Registered
39 Posts
NISMO Exhaust

Any idea if NISMO will come-out with a S-Tune Exhaust for the Frontier?

Major

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2005 Nismo and my first exhaust was a flowmaster with the 2 inlet, single out 3" pipe. It too was the 50 series SUV because I did not want it too loud. After the shop installed it I noticed the idle speed decreased to 500 and idle rough. I waited a week to see if it would get better, but it did not.

So, I called Flowmaster and the shop that installed the exhaust, and they both told me that it was probably caused to the decrease of back presure. I just had the shop remove the exhaust and replace it with a single in/single out 50 series. They also reduced the tailpipe back down to 2.5". Since the change I noticed my gas mileage has increase. I use to average 16.2 and now average 17.2 mpg. I only use my truck to go to work and live about 10 mi. away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts