Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work today and I noticed the set light for the cruise control flashing for about 15 seconds at a time. Cruise control is also disabled.

I was reading that inactive cruise control can mean a blown fuse on another circuit, but no one mentioned the light flashing. I have to try and find some time tomorrow to look into it. Has anyone had it flash before. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,765 Posts
I don't think it's user serviceable and needs to be taken in to the dealership. I believe the ECM controls the cruise control.

Clint

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well damn. I can get a discount on parts from the dealer but I can't download software. I guess I will be making a phone call tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Flashing set light means that the speed control is in fail safe mode.
Fail safe is entered when a malfunction is detected.
One of the first things to look at is the VSS. Does the speedometer work OK?
Also try pressing the brake pedal a few times to see if there is a problem with the cancel switch on the pedal mechanisim. Maybe look up under the dash for the switch and see if anything abnormal is noticable.
The switches on the steering wheel can sometimes stick. Actuate them a few times and turn the wheel back and forth a few times.
Take a look at fuse #5 (10A). Make sure it is good.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedo works fine. The buttons aren't stuck. I have to check the fuse. I remember one of the techs telling me about a bushing on the switch by the brake pedal that deteriorates and falls out. That might be it. I will have to check.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, but what I did find is that the light only flashes when the headlights are on. The cruise wont engage. If the lights are off it works fine. When the cruise is on and you use the turn signals it will cancell the set speed. That leads me to believe that there is a short in the light switch.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have no brake lights, switched the relays around and pulled out a few fuses to check and the set light went off, still no brake lights, there is no brake light fuse where it says there should be, no fuse holder

wee

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, but what I did find is that the light only flashes when the headlights are on. The cruise wont engage. If the lights are off it works fine. When the cruise is on and you use the turn signals it will cancell the set speed. That leads me to believe that there is a short in the light switch.
Hate to revive an ancient thread but I'm having the same issue @handb94 described. My cruise works fine during the day, the brake pedal cutoff and brake light switch and buttons work. At night with the lights on and speeds over 30 mph the set light flashes and wont engage. With the cruise set, turn the lights on and the cruise disengages, I didn't test the signal lights though. I installed aftermarket fogs a few months ago but it hasn't flashed until last night and disconnecting the fog wiring didn't help. Has anyone confirmed if this was a short in the light switch/signal stalk? Wanted to ask before I throw money at it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine honestly just fixed itself. I would make sure the switch is good. You can use an ohmeter for that and make sure the bushings are good on the brake pedal that the switch contacts. Other than that you would need a scan tool that can read the codes for the cruise module.

·
Super Moderator
3,057 Posts
I think I recall a truck going into limp mode somewhere on this forum, with the lights on because of a shorted taillight/brake-light bulb or socket.

That caused the ECU to believe the brakes were depressed "limping" the truck.

It sounds like when you turn your lights on, the computer believes the brakes are depressed and cuts the cruise. Again, just a guess from previous reading but maybe something else to check/test.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I recall a truck going into limp mode somewhere on this forum, with the lights on because of a shorted taillight/brake-light bulb or socket.

That caused the ECU to believe the brakes were depressed "limping" the truck.

It sounds like when you turn your lights on, the computer believes the brakes are depressed and cuts the cruise. Again, just a guess from previous reading but maybe something else to check/test.
I guess that's something to check but if the brake light switch is separate from the cruise cutoff switch on the pedal I would think the feedback from a brake light problem would be on a different circuit. All the lights, signal and brakes, function properly. One weird thing I noticed is when i press the brake when the door is open (in the drive, engine not running), the reminder chime for headlights or keys in ignition goes off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just had this happen in the parking lot leaving work. I did not attempt to engage cruise, just turned on the main as I was pulling out and buried the SET light continually flashing. Tried all cruise buttons, brake, park, and burning changed. Turned the truck off and started it back up, and the cruise is working normally again (with headlights on). Not sure if this is the same problem, since I didn't try to actually set the cruise. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it to reoccur.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I turn my headlights on, SET flashes on my dash.

I broke my clock spring while lifting my truck years ago. I replaced it with an ebay clockspring and this is what I got. At least it turned off my airbag light!!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts