Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I just came back from Flagpole Knob run in Dayton Va. Being my second trail run, I couldn't have picked a better day. The Fall air was nice and crisp, and no rain. I started the run from State Route 85 but didn't air down until 85 split into 85A, a gravel road. The first part of the run to Flagpole Knob was extremely easy. After a short break on the Knob, I continued on the Forest Service Road 85A/Union Springs Trail and that's when the road conditions changed from a gravel road to a narrow rocky trail. There are about 8 - 10 water crossings and about half a dozen rocky areas including rock steps. The water crossings were not deep about midway up my tires at the deepest point. The rocky steps gave me a little issue but I overcame the obstacle on my second try. I kept my speed slow with momentum. The trail eventually turned into Union Springs Trail/State Route 933. I stopped at Union Springs Hollow Lake to air up. Overall my 2011 SV 4x4 with open diffs did well as expected and got me through. My truck does have a minor 2.5 lift from ReadyLift and that clearance came in handy. Please take note that trail is narrow and expect scratches due to the undergrowth.

I did have cell coverage along most of the trail and used Google maps to guide me through. I think I need to look into Gaia for my future runs. I also need to examine my comms equipment in the form of a CB or shortwave radio. I do have my Technician's License. Another thing that concerned me was having large branches or trees blocking the trail. I did skirt around a few downed trees partially blocking the road. Does anyone here travel with a chainsaw for blocked trails? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In the wayback, me and a friend of mine had a old Topo map that showed all the old abandoned roads. Some were still in partial use, maybe a house or two then trailed off into nothing more than faint resemblance of a road.

We carried an ax, beer, chainsaw, shovel or two, beer, comealong, chains, beer, a couple of .22's to shoot, smokes of various kind, and beer. Oh, and a spare tire.

Fallen trees, branches, washouts etc.. There was much trepidation when coming across a snowmobile bridge! It would depend on the age, length, and construction if we would pass. Sometimes a stream would have formed across, and occationally, the beavers had flooded the the trail. If it was a easy fix, we would pull it down and shoot at stuff waiting for the water to receed. Other times, turn around.

Remains of old houses, small groups of houses, above ground graveyards. All very awe inspiring given the fact everything was made by hand back then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts