Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the sticky's here and many of the posts, including Greg's travel numbers, and have probably confused myself.

So, I have a 2011 SV CC 4x4 with about 50K miles, which according to my ruler has sagged about 3/4 inch all around, and the back hits the bump stops often with anything resembling a load. So I want to fix the suspension. I don't want a bunch of lift, but I don't mind a little.

So the simplest way to fix the back and also stop hitting the bump stops so regularly seems to be AAL? I presume with my 3/4 inch sag and a 2 inch lift AAL will put me at about 1.25 inches over stock on the rear - or is there some fancier math I need to know?

Presuming I then want to get the front to approximately 1.25 inches over stock to match, my options are?

a) 2 Inch PRG Spacer + Bump stops. Again is it correct with 3/4 inch of current sag this will put me back to about 1.25 inches over stock? Supposedly I can run this without coil bucket contact? I guess this would be the cheapest, but what are the downsides?

b) OME springs and shocks? Not much writeen about these here. Nisstec claims they would be 1.5 inches of lift, so that would be pretty close? I would need to find somewhere around here that would assemble them for me, so by the time I paid labor I might as well go with option C which is...

c) Radflo or Nisstec adjustable coil overs. These would seem to be best, but also most expensive. I can't really figure out the difference between them? Anyone know?

So, of the three front options I have, any suggestions based on I really just want to get this thing back to a reasonable height?

I could buy all new OEM springs front and back, but then I am back to this same problem shortly, so I don't think thats worth it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Unless you want to go through the trouble of finding out your corner weights,minus the unsprung weight. Do a lot of calculations to figure out what spring rate you actually need, you are just guessing.
I would install air bags in the rear, see where you want the rear to sit, then determine what you need in the front.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I say air bags for the rear also. They are adjustable for load. If they are set up with 2 separate loops, you have an additional anti sway feature to compliment the front anti-sway bar. Timbren makes an overload bump stop that works well for many. Neither of these options is designed to give lift.

Air bags can raise the truck, but they are primarily for load support. They are designed to bring the rear up to level under load, so you have weight transferred back to the front axle. Anyone who has carried significant weight in their bed will tell you that the front gets 'floaty' when it is unloaded.

With the spacer you may dodge coil bucket contact for the most part. Initially I had a 2" spacer with stock UCA's. I only noticed contact coming off of speed bumps and the like.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going from Wheel Arch heigth - HR - as outlined in the service manual - my 2011 manual FSU-26. It shows measuring from the ground to the top of the lip of the fender. I realize its not possible to be bang on (I don't have a calibrated yard stick, although I probably could get one). However I know the rears are bottoming far more often than when this thing was new, and its 6 years old so it must have settled some.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say air bags for the rear also. They are adjustable for load. If they are set up with 2 separate loops, you have an additional anti sway feature to compliment the front anti-sway bar. Timbren makes an overload bump stop that works well for many. Neither of these options is designed to give lift.

Air bags can raise the truck, but they are primarily for load support. They are designed to bring the rear up to level under load, so you have weight transferred back to the front axle. Anyone who has carried significant weight in their bed will tell you that the front gets 'floaty' when it is unloaded.

With the spacer you may dodge coil bucket contact for the most part. Initially I had a 2" spacer with stock UCA's. I only noticed contact coming off of speed bumps and the like.
I know a lot of guys love air bags - but I am not one of those guys. Murphy dictates mine would leak air way too soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts