Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else has run into this issue with their truck, but I have been getting annoying rattle noises from my front left/right windows in my truck.

It's the kind of rattle that requires a certain frequency of vibration from the tires on the road for it to make noise, lately they have done a lot of tar jobs on our streets in my home town, hitting all of those lines of tar in the road at 25mph seems to set off that creaking noise from my windows. some bass tones REALLY set the noise off and it's very obnoxious.

If I push "Up" on the left/right windows on the window controls for a couple seconds, when the motors put upward pressure on the windows the vibration is GONE... after about 30 seconds of driving or listening to music, they will start to rattle again. The noise is coming from the top of the doors where the window seats into the seals. I can't think of what to do here, it just seems like the window has play when it's rolled up all of the way instead of being tightly pushed up into the seals. They don't leak air or water at all, they just have play so they vibrate and make noise. Dumb, how can I fix this?.. are they just not fastened tightly to the cable lift inside the door you think?

Thanks for suggestions!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Im not sure how they work on a Frontier, but some cars it's the arms that move in the tracks for the window guide. If you can take your panel off and have a look, you could probably move the window and see some play or jiggle a few parts and see if they have play. On my past vehicles its usually been some sort of roller wheel or a slide bushing made of plastic that wears out against a metal window guide track. I don't know if this helps ,but maybe it will give you a starting point?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time to invest in some in-channel vent visors.
Ooooo good idea, those look good, I have the "outer-channel" window visors that I never installed that I scored for cheap but that really is a good suggestion, I just hate listening to the crunch of dirt scrapage noise when rolling up/down the window with those installed but its better than rattles and squeaks coming from my window constantly.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have vent visors and my driver window rattles. It's like the glass is loose in the channel, I can fix it by pushing the glass forwards and that will stop it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have vent visors and my driver window rattles. It's like the glass is loose in the channel, I can fix it by pushing the glass forwards and that will stop it.
+1
I'v had the vents for nearly 50,000 miles and am just starting to hear the window rattle.. and yes, when the windows get realy dirty/dusty they make a scraping sound when the window is rolled up or down - minor issue vs the benefit of the vent.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got that too if I roll it down partially. It stops completely though if I roll it up just slightly and doesn't come back. Doesn't do it at all if I roll all the way down. It's not annoyed me enough to take a look at it yet though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got that too if I roll it down partially. It stops completely though if I roll it up just slightly and doesn't come back. Doesn't do it at all if I roll all the way down. It's not annoyed me enough to take a look at it yet though.
My truck does the same thing, no noise when its all the way up or all the way down, but if it's anywhere between it does. It's like a strange creaking sound. I forgot all about it till I saw the title of this thread. I was hoping someone knew what it was. I haven't bothered to look at it yet either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2010 has been squeaking/rattling my passenger window since the day I drove it off the lot, have had it back to the dealer 3 times for it, they've replaced everything in the door from the tracks, guides, channels, weather stripping, motor, to the glass. And after all that, still rattles/squeaks when the window is part way down. When all the way down its fine, when all the way up its fine. *Sigh*

·
Registered
503 Posts
man ^^^ this sucks because mine is starting to get just annoying enough that i was going to take it in. i would prefer to not have them completely tear it apart for nothing though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe you'll have better luck with some more creative mechanics, but the ones down here weren't able to figure it out and make it stop. I even looked at it myself and it's almost like its just a poor design :mad: The glass is held in place in the center and is balanced in the two tracks, so there's quite a bit of free play in the glass, which to me is what is causing all the noise, but there doesn't seem to be a way to take enough of that free play out of the glass and mounts to keep it from rattling and not binding. Everything else in the door is solidly mounted/secured.

If you do take it in and they manage to fix it, find out exactly what they did and let me know!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I just ordered a new regulator for the drivers side door..when I replace the malfunctioning one, I am going to have to roll the window up and down to ensure it moves freely.....maybe I will see something then...if I do, I will report.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Try using ArmorAll or something similar to lube up the rubber seals. You may also want to do the ones around the doors themselves.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Havent taken off the door panel yet, but my passenger side front glass does it only (again, part way down). Have not tried the partial 'roll up' to fix it when rattling or creaking but if I push down on it just a nudge the glass becomes supported by the mechanism better again and does not creak- so something in the door must be too loose when pulling down on the glass in tension.

How many 2nd gens have their windows go out anyway? would like to know if it could be a 1 part / fastener adjustment:confused: fix. :confused:

·
Registered
503 Posts
this has finally been bugging me enough to take it in to the dealer. with the nice weather we have been getting i have had my windows down alot and the rattle seems to be getting worse. truck went in at 10:30 i will let you guys know what i find out.

just a heads up to any new trucks out there i figured this would fall under the 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty... it does not, 12 months 12k miles for rattles and squeaks so if it's doing it get record at the dealer of it before then. luckily i'm only 4,700 miles and 7-8 months

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I recently had the driver door panel off to replace a window lift motor. The window only has 2 bolts that hold it onto the regulator. If you drop your windows half way, and just grab them and move back and forth you will notice that all 4 have play (CC). Other than that, I am really not sure why yours rattles unless yours is being caused by weather stripping or a channel that was not constructed right, it's going to rattle. I think they could have designed it to where there is at least 3 bolts and not 2 about 6 inches apart.

·
Registered
503 Posts
just got back from the dealer... two new regulators are on order. they seemed pretty confident that would fix the problem. we'll see

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
hmmm...keep us posted. I have my doubts about the regulators being the problem unless they were bent wrong or the openings for the 2 bolts had cracks...but with both of them? Lucky your under warranty...if you were not...roughly 400.00 per side which is what I was quoted from my stealership.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts