Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

While backing into a parking spot, I grazed someone's car and put this substantial dent in my front bumper. I'm planning to visit Maaco to get a quote ln a repair. I'd rather get some work done myself first. Any thoughts on some quick and dirty repairs. I'm thinking take off splashguards and the wheel well cover and see if I can press bump from behind to reshape it. Then move on to cleaning up paint scratches. Black is much easier to touch up then most colors in my experience. I'm not super concerned about restoring to like new appearance, just want to get the dent out and significantly reduce the appearance of the scratches.

-Alvie

Attachments

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,358 Posts
Oh yeah - hammer time! Get out the block of wood, and influence it to move it on over. Perhaps add a little heat first. I use black semi-gloss Tremclad (Canadian Rustoleum) as my 'touch up' paint. Embrace the scratches.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I agree, a heat gun and a baseball bat so you can push it out slowly and use the rounded end of the bat to push it back into shape from the back side. If it doesn't have a tear you should be able to get it fairly close. If need be sand when done and get a pint of the right paint and one of these. Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 - The Home Depot I have used this type of thing on cars back when I was a student in the rust belt where you got to rebuild the fenders each spring and it comes out pretty good.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I did a repair on my Dodge a few months ago.
They sell spray can kits that will match your paint. Tell them what year of your truck and color or send them the color code. It takes awhile because it is not off the shelf.
Comes with primer,your vehicle's color and clear coat.
I will get the name of the company, it's in the garage. It's not a perfect match as for the metallic but the color matches pretty well.
I have good spray guns but it's a pain to mix and clean guns. Still need to rub out or polish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Park it in the sun, get in from behind with your hands. I had a similar thing happen to my last truck and I was able to simply push the bumper cover right back out. Almost all of the paint stayed in place and I never bothered painting anything. As long as the cover isn't cracked, you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Heat it and work from the edges to the center or your really going to fight it. Look at any pentless dent repair. Ideo and they always start from the side and finesse it into shape. Good luck and post up after pictures.
So, how do you dent the front backing into a space?

Clint

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thanks to everyone who responded with the advice and encouragement. I'll over time try and touch up the paint a bit more but it's looking substantially better compared to before.

-Alvie

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Good work! I've folded in the corners of my bumper cover several times on rocks & trees (can't wait for my HF bumper to arrive) All I've ever had to do is use a rounded large piece of wood to push it back in shape. This last time I put a hard crease that doesn't want to re-form to original lines and it cracked the paint... I'll likely just get a new front upper fascia as its above the cut line for the plate bumper and I'd like for it to look at least 1/2 way good (offroad in NewEngland means pinstripes... looking into wraps for 'paint correction' )

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Did some DIY work today. Had some help getting bumper dent fixed. And used some toothpaste to reduce appearance of scratches. Plus touchup paint to work on it a bit.

Alvie
Very nice job you did.

Clint

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
The name of the company I mentioned, is "Automotive Touch Up". They sell paint for spray guns also.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You're lucky, mine split too. It just pops back out but still have a split/crack or whaever you want to call it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts