Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, iv been on CF for awhile and have recieved great advice everytime something on my fronty has gone wrong. But now i need advice on my dad's fx4 f150...(iv already posted this problem on a f150 forum but nobody has really said anything helpful...)

Ok here it goes,
His 4wd is no longer functional. When you turn the selector button into 4hi or 4lo the light on the dash illuminates and you can here a click. This click comes from the transmittion. After that the driveshaft to the front axle does turn but the front wheels dont pull. The problem has something to do with the front axle i think...

I have heard comments like "sounds like a problem with your hubs", "solonids", "vaccum lines" or "gear problems." But no idea where to start, how do i check the hubs? can i fix any of this or am i gonna have to go back to the stealership?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like the same problem my friend had with his Exploder, I mean explorer. He had to have it taken to the dealership :(. Sorry I can't help you more, good luck!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Either just take it to the shop, sounds like it would be really hard to fix yourself. Or go buy a chevy because they don't have that problem :)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Have you tried draining the transfer case to see if there are metal shavings? that would eliminate the gears part. Take the crappy auto hubs apart and see if there is anything broken... OR go buy some manual hubs and swap them out. Also you may want to find a book on it, or an online manual. find out where those solenoids are and test them...

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
It sounds to me like one of your hubs is not engaging. Common problem with ford (final overhaul requires dynamite) hubs. If memory serves, they are attached by an allen or torx head bolt(6x). You can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined, but if not unfortunately as afore stated manuals or dealer would be your best option.

this may be of use to you...
4WD Locking Hubs for Truck Axles

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts