Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first truck - 2016 Frontier SV Crew Cab LB 4x4 (Arctic Blue Metallic w/Value package)

Audi is buying back my 2011 A3 (You may or may not be aware of the VW diesel emissions cheating court settlement), so I won't actually take delivery of my truck until December 14th, when I take back my car to Audi, and Uber over to the Nissan dealership the same day. Forced to do it this way since my wife is too busy that week and I can't drive two vehicles at the same time.

Anyway, I decided that I could use a truck more than a fun little turbo diesel hatchback. Hopefully I picked the right one. Anything I need to know about these vehicles?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just bought my first truck - 2016 Frontier SV Crew Cab LB 4x4 (Arctic Blue Metallic w/Value package)

Audi is buying back my 2011 A3 (You may or may not be aware of the VW diesel emissions cheating court settlement), so I won't actually take delivery of my truck until December 14th, when I take back my car to Audi, and Uber over to the Nissan dealership the same day. Forced to do it this way since my wife is too busy that week and I can't drive two vehicles at the same time.

Anyway, I decided that I could use a truck more than a fun little turbo diesel hatchback. Hopefully I picked the right one. Anything I need to know about these vehicles?
You did! I just bought the same in Gun Metallic a little over a month ago and I'm quite pleased with the value and list of goodies the VTP option gets you... As to what you need to know about these vehicles? Well it is not going to be getting the fuel mileage you were getting with A3 that's for sure... Mine has thus far given an average of 18.25 MPG while on the interstate...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I find it kind of ironic that the EPA settlement is forcing so many TDI owners to return their vehicles, and as a result I decide to buy a vehicle that burns twice the fuel. I will miss a few things on the A3, but for the most part the luxury features I bought it for have trickled down to the 5-year newer vehicles. (Other than leather seats which I never really cared about anyway) I might miss the mileage and pulling away from every other car at a traffic light while never pushing past 2500 RPMs. I'll probably also miss the Xenon headlights, which were awesome on the A3, but weren't available on the Frontier.

On the other hand, I'll have a 4x4, the ability to actually take more things home without shipping costs that I might buy at Lowes or an appliance store, and a backup camera (vs. beeping sensors). Oh, and it's $8K cheaper than the A3 was in 2011. (And $5-6K cheaper than the Tacoma would have been to get comparable features)

·
Registered
48 Posts
You did well. I am on my 3rd Nissan truck, and would not drive any other truck brand. You also did well by coming to this forum. There is a wealth of information here, whether you plan on modding your truck, or just decide to keep it stock.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,807 Posts
My daily driver is a VW TDI and I need its mileage to afford to be able to live where I do and work where I do, I simply drive too much to be able to daily drive my truck. I love my diesel car.

That being said, the Frontier has been great to me over the years. Welcome to the Club.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...(And $5-6K cheaper than the Tacoma would have been to get comparable features)
My short list of vehicles was the F-150 (2.7T), Taco TRD sport (didn't want a first year engine and didn't think the higher price was worth the equipment (mainly in dash NAVI)) or the Frontier...went with the Fronty for the price and the manual transmission and very happy so far!

·
Registered
85 Posts
You'll be disappointed with the headlights, they're not great & a pain to replace. It's the only dark mark on an otherwise fantastic truck

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
You'll be disappointed with the headlights, they're not great & a pain to replace. It's the only dark mark on an otherwise fantastic truck
This... and you can't fit "Supercow" on the license plate. heh ::laugh::

·
Registered
544 Posts
Are there any replacement bulbs that make a reasonable & worthwhile improvement?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure about a worthwhile improvement, I can't even fit my hand in there to swap them.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
SUPRCRO or SUPCROW ... I like the latter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally took delivery of my new Frontier on Wednesday. Audi buyback went smoothly, as did the Uber ride to the Nissan dealership. Here are my first impressions:

Road noise and drive was much better than I was expecting. Truck runs beautifully.
Utility features (utilitrack, cleats, bed-liner, etc.) all are solid.
Seats are comfortable.
Exterior metallic paint is nice, though when it's cloudy my Arctic Blue looks too grey.
Stereo is not as good as my Audi, and definitely lower class than my wife's Volvo. I guess that is to be expected, but it does the job.
Still trying to figure out how to get some apps working on the NissanConnect. Trying to figure out if there is any use to it.
Turns out CC-LWB makes it a bigger truck than I was expecting. Not a problem driving, but it's making me paranoid parking, and it seems to stick out in the parking spots.
Going up from an A3 to this takes getting used to; however, I think the trick is going farther into the spots where the A3 couldn't go, because it has much higher clearance.
I didn't think I'd care about the turning radius, but now that I'm experiencing it, I agree it could be better. Again, I notice it while parking, or when leaving parking spots.
I haven't really tried, but I don't think I can fit into the garage anymore, but now that I have a truck, I can finally take out all the junk that is in there...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I finally took delivery of my new Frontier on Wednesday. Audi buyback went smoothly, as did the Uber ride to the Nissan dealership. Here are my first impressions:

Road noise and drive was much better than I was expecting. Truck runs beautifully.
Utility features (utilitrack, cleats, bed-liner, etc.) all are solid.
Seats are comfortable.
Exterior metallic paint is nice, though when it's cloudy my Arctic Blue looks too grey.
Stereo is not as good as my Audi, and definitely lower class than my wife's Volvo. I guess that is to be expected, but it does the job.
Still trying to figure out how to get some apps working on the NissanConnect. Trying to figure out if there is any use to it.
Turns out CC-LWB makes it a bigger truck than I was expecting. Not a problem driving, but it's making me paranoid parking, and it seems to stick out in the parking spots.
Going up from an A3 to this takes getting used to; however, I think the trick is going farther into the spots where the A3 couldn't go, because it has much higher clearance.
I didn't think I'd care about the turning radius, but now that I'm experiencing it, I agree it could be better. Again, I notice it while parking, or when leaving parking spots.
I haven't really tried, but I don't think I can fit into the garage anymore, but now that I have a truck, I can finally take out all the junk that is in there...
I went personally went from a cobalt ss. So the overall size and seating position were drastic changes. The stock stereo in my SV is very inadequate when compared to the Pioneer set up in the chevy. The last complaint i have is the braking coming from 4 piston brembos in a 2900 lb car (never was able to activate the abs when not intentionally trying) to a mid size truck. Thus i found the headlights inadequate for the braking abilities of the truck. I didnt feel confident i could stop if i truly had to because i wasnt able to see far enough down the road to react and get the truck slowed down.

I ended up retrofitting my headlights. I think it was the best mod ive done to the truck, but like other stated, you have to remove the front bumper cover to take the headlights on and off. Which once i figured out where all the bolts and clips were it was not difficult just time consuming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are there any replacement bulbs that make a reasonable & worthwhile improvement?
I have some LED replacement bulbs on mine and I really like them. Don't expect them to project much further but the overall brightness and color are greatly improved. There are tons of options but I went for these based on price and review. I removed the battery to access the passenger side but other than that these were easy plug and play and took 40 minutes all together.
https://www.amazon.com/YUMSEEN-Head...F8&qid=1481911292&sr=8-1&keywords=yumseen+LED

1 - 15 of 15 Posts