Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2015 Nissan frontier 4-cyl. max GVWR 3500 lbs. I am looking into getting a nobo 10.6 or a geo pro 12 srk. Wondering someone had other suggestions as far as camp trailers on a budget.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4
387 Posts
Well, I don’t think campers are budget items in today’s world. But I had a ‘19 4cyl. At the time I owned a 2020 10’x6’ single axle cargo trailer and I had considered turning it into some sort of a camper… I believe that trailer weighed 1190lbs.

that’s a possible budget build if you’re handy. Not sure what those trailers cost these days but I’m thinking I paid around $3k 3 years ago…

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
941 Posts
Geo Pro is not the cheapest but are probably a better quality than others in that class. I would avoid anything made by Starcraft, my trailer is made by them and is a pos and I can't wait to get rid of it

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I have 2015 Nissan frontier 4-cyl. max GVWR 3500 lbs. I am looking into getting a nobo 10.6 or a geo pro 12 srk. Wondering someone had other suggestions as far as camp trailers on a budget.
It would help if you actually posted the weights of those models - rather than making everyone else research it.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
184 Posts
It would help if you actually posted the weights of those models - rather than making everyone else research it.
They weigh about 1800 lbs dry. Once you add water, food, and supplies, it's going to be well over 2k lbs. That little four banger is going to struggle pulling it. There's a member who tows a small trailer with his four banger and he stated that it struggles on the highway, especially when you go up a steep incline or have head on wind.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4
387 Posts
Ya man. Been down that road. I had my 6x10 loaded with a 1000lb motorcycle plus all my mechanics tools and other belongings. I’m sure I was between 3800-4000 lbs. that 4 banger struggled but I got up and over some mountain passes (Raton, Vail, others) and cross country 1.5 times. My ‘19 was a 5 speed… dunno if the auto would tow better. Once I was on I-70 going west just over the Kansas line and the wind was so bad I couldn’t get the truck over 30mph in second gear on level ground with that trailer!
In retrospect, I don’t think I’d be too scared to tow ~2200 lbs especially if the trailer was aerodynamic or tear drop shaped. Mine was not!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Basically, the engine is the only difference between the I4 and the V6 versions - all the rest of the running gear is the same.

So, while you're going to be down quite a bit on power, you're not any more likely to break anything, or have handling - related problems.

If you can accept the fact that you're not going to be able to accelerate as quick or cruise as fast (and can avoid situations where that could be a safety hazard), you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
As long as you have a manual you can compensate for the lack of power with lower speed and gears. You might just be the guy in the slow lane but your truck should tow 1800 pounds just fine. I towed the setup in the photo with my 2013 4.0 with few issues. I wasn't sir speedy on the highway and had terrible mpg's and low acceleration rates but with a proper trailer brake and some willingness to cruise speeds between 55 and 65 and pull over to the edge and let people pass the old Frontier did just fine. I didn't even turn off the AC. Not sure if 1800 pounds really would require a trailer brake but I can tell you that if the trailer itself has brakes on it you should add one and it will really give you some confidence in stopping.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts