Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier S 4X4
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

We got a pretty crazy setup. More so Glamping. I will have to try to find an photo. Surprisingly I was able to fit everything in bed but I decided trailer cause I wanted to see how the frontier did LOL!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use those same black and yellow totes, wife wanted them, I hated the idea but have since come around. It's helpful to know where all your stuff is quickly sometimes.
Yeah I love em I buy em off season since they jack up prices around holidays. And use a permanent market to mark which ones are with and they stack really nice. And durable I'm not exactly the most careful with thing lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
It is a 4 cyl manual trans. That camper is light weight but has a lot of wind drag from the flat front and square back. A head wind kills it and hills require downshifting and revving the engine for power. But it does the trick and we have done 1000+ mile trips. Always remember to have some tongue weight and a trailer will track true.

The camper is homemade on a light 4x8 trailer.

Tt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know what's max Ft travel trailer can this frontier handle? I read somewhere 21 but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
2,170 Posts
Does anyone know what's max Ft travel trailer can this frontier handle? I read somewhere 21 but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.
As a disclaimer I've only towed mine around the large metro area to test how it would tow, but my 21' single-axle factory-lift (Jayco Baja edition) was close to but not right at the limit. This was with a full load of fresh water, but not loaded up with other gear. I don't know how much the extra height of the baja edition affected it versus something sitting at a more traditional height would, or how much worse extra gear would be.

This is admittedly a 139.9" wheelbase truck, not the 125" wheelbase truck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a disclaimer I've only towed mine around the large metro area to test how it would tow, but my 21' single-axle factory-lift (Jayco Baja edition) was close to but not right at the limit. This was with a full load of fresh water, but not loaded up with other gear. I don't know how much the extra height of the baja edition affected it versus something sitting at a more traditional height would, or how much worse extra gear would be.

This is admittedly a 139.9" wheelbase truck, not the 125" wheelbase truck.
How did it perform any struggles? Do you have Weight distrusbuting hitch?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How did it perform any struggles? Do you have Weight distrusbuting hitch?
I probably put 100 miles on towing it, desert southwest, not the hottest weather we see, and did some hilly and some off-pavement. It did fine. I was able to do freeway speeds with the 4.0L V6 and automatic, though I did not let the truck do overdrive. No particular temp problems. It definitely didn't want to go much above 70, but that limiting was mostly due to gearing.

I don't know what gearing is acceptable for towing with the 3.8 and new transmission. Honestly I don't even know if I had to disable OD or not.

I do have a weight distribution hitch. I'm tempted to upgrade to the Anderson, so that there's less stick-out from the back of the truck to reduce the moment-arm that the trailer can impose on the truck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We have a 2018 keystone bullet crossfire 19 RD. Manufacturer #’s of hitch 490#,3760 # dry, 940# cargo weight.

Keep in mind the manufacturers are notorious for underrating there weights.
Using a husky centerline weight distribution hitch. A w/d hitch is a must. I’m sitting within 1/2” of level with w/d hooked up.
Look on YouTube for tfl truck and big truck bigrv. They’ve both tested or reviewed the frontier. Very informative.
A travel trailer is a big sail.
Above 62mph it starts swaying. When semis pass they suck you in as they approach, push you out as they finish passing.
Pay attention to your payload. Look on the drivers door jamb, will be a white/yellow/orange sticker. The w/d hitch alone weighs about 100#’s. Also, look in your owner’s manual, for the max square frontal area of your vehicle, that you can tow. Our camper is 8’wide, with the box measuring about 7.5’ tall, yielding 60sqft, with an overall height of 10’ 5”.
We bought the trailer last summer. I put just over 1000 miles on it. With 800 of that interstate. Got 10.5-11.5mpg. That part made me happy.
I’m currently looking for a 1/2 ton. Would really like a Titan XD, with a gas engine. Not trying to disappoint you, just my experience and two cents.

Reactions: DanB2019

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The w/d hitch alone weighs about 100#’s
I'm really strongly leaning towards the Anderson unit because of this, it looks like it's a lot lighter weight than the Husky I currently have, and also looks like it's shorter, so that disconnecting the WD part for offroad towing won't leave it sticking out so far.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
577 Posts
There really isn't a max length that you should tow. I comes down to the amount of payload and not going over it. Most of the time you will go over your max payload before you go over you max tow number. I tow a 24' TT with a weight around 5K and I'm just below payload with my wife, small dog and a 100lb generator. No problems and it tows very well. So well I bought a 2022 SV LB.

2013 SV LB

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There really isn't a max length that you should tow. I comes down to the amount of payload and not going over it. Most of the time you will go over your max payload before you go over you max tow number. I tow a 24' TT with a weight around 5K and I'm just below payload with my wife, small dog and a 100lb generator. No problems and it tows very well. So well I bought a 2022 SV LB.

2013 SV LB

View attachment 345834
Did you have to do a WDH?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

2013 SV LB

View attachment 345834
Yo SuperDave1, what is the make and model of your travel trailer?

Since your SV is towing it satisfactorily, something similar will be a candidate for my shopping list.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts