Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I've got a '99 2.4L 5spd with 175k miles. She runs pretty good, has never really left me stranded.

With that being said, I came across a steal a few weeks ago. Guy had a complete 2.4L motor and automatic transmission with 160k miles on it. He claimed when it was pulled it ran like a top, they just scrapped the truck and kept the motor.

It looks to be in better shape than mine. Oil is still pretty clear, not much buildup that I can see under the valve cover(haven't removed it yet just looked in the oil fill hole)

Anyways, since I feel like I've got a little bit of life left in the motor I've got, I'd like to tear this one down and do a rebuild.

I've never done it before, but I'm pretty quick at learning how stuff works.

Couple people have told me "I wouldn't worry about rebuilding it" which I understand. I'm sure she'd fire right up and run fine if I swapped it.

But I just want the piece of mind knowing that when the original kicks the bucket, the one I drop in is basically new, therefore I won't have to worry about it kicking out on me 30k miles down the road.

"Just buy another truck" a couple of people have said. Yea I guess I could, but I love that little truck and wanna keep it going as long as I can.

I guess what I'm really asking from everyone, can someone point me in the right direction as to where to get started? What do I need to know before I start? What all is included in a "rebuild"? I think they sell rebuild kits, but it would be awesome if I could just find a list of everything I would need so I can start getting stuff.

Now this isn't gonna be a 2 week project, I don't plan on getting in any kind of hurry, partly because I don't wanna drop a whole bunch of money into it at once, but mainly because it's getting cold. Too cold to ride fourwheelers....so I have nothing else to do when I get off of work lol.

I appreciate any info and opinions from you guys!

·
Registered
169 Posts
A web search brings up several pages, like:

How to build a KA24DE

...which has nice pic's. Most I think will be on rebuilding the car version of that engine but the internals will be the same. Consider selling that auto trans to finance the rebuild. Car-parts dot com shows it as fitting all 1st Gen four cylinder 2x4 trucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet that thread does have some good pics in it. And yea I thought about selling it, but I wouldn't know what to ask for it considering I don't 100% for sure know there isn't anything wrong with it. I don't wanna screw someone over

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Buy a factory repair manual.

Reactions: Alg1892

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
NicoClub.com has free, downloadable service manuals for Nissans. NissanHelp.com has downloadable service manual chapters in their "knowledge base" section. They should have the "Engine Mechanical" chapter there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I got a several chapters off of nicoclub and printed them out at work. Gonna eventually get them all.

But as far as what I'm gonna need in the process, like a list. Where would be the best place to find one? If I Google rebuild kit are they gonna have everything I need or are there some miscellaneous parts/items I would have to get in addition to it?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
First you will need to determine what is needed.
A good portion of the rebuild will be machining which has to be sent out.
Have it checked (block and heads) checked for cracks. Don't know how they do it since every thing is aluminum.Iron blocks can be magnaflux.
Does the cylinders need to be bored?
Does the crank need to be ground?
Does the block need to be decked?
Does the heads need to be rebuilt? Valves and seats need to be ground or need new valves?New valve guides?Need new springs?
That will determine what you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First you will need to determine what is needed.
A good portion of the rebuild will be machining which has to be sent out.
Have it checked (block and heads) checked for cracks. Don't know how they do it since every thing is aluminum.Iron blocks can be magnaflux.
Does the cylinders need to be bored?
Does the crank need to be ground?
Does the block need to be decked?
Does the heads need to be rebuilt? Valves and seats need to be ground or need new valves?New valve guides?Need new springs?
That will determine what you need.
Ten four, I'll make sure to have all that checked for sure.

You wouldn't happen to know a ballpark price on how much all that would cost would you?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
No clue. Been years since I built a car motor.
Look up automotive machine shop in your area.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
If it's going to need cylinder boring and machine work on the crank, it's going to start getting to the point where it would make more practical sense to spend the money on a remanufactured engine with a warranty. Even though it's only a 4-cylinder, the price of parts can start adding up quick on these engines...unlike an ol' small block Chevy or small block Ford where there are millions of them out there and parts are relatively cheap!

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
In all honesty, for a first time around, I would not go all the way in to the engine. Or, in the least, I wouldn't mess with the lower end. I would replace all gaskets and hoses, water pump, oil pump, timing set and maybe, just maybe have the cylinder head gone through. I would leave the crank, rods and pistons right where they are unless there is an issue.

"modern" engines are not the same as engines from back in the day that after 100K were in need of attention. I would do a compression test and leak down test on the engine to get a good idea what kind of shape things are in. This will give you a better idea on how deep to go.

I know this is new and exciting, but, it's real easy to be thousands of dollars in before you realize it and sometimes, some of it isn't really needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts