Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hard to believe at 56 yrs old, I have never owned a Nissan. By dredging my organic hard drive located inside the 20lb pimple between my shoulders, I have owned a lot of vehicles. Some that come to mind are VW Bug(air cooledx3), VW Fastback, Porsche 911(x2), Dodge D100 Van, Mustang II, F150(x2), Toyota 4X4 pickup, Ford Fiesta, Citation, Civic, Corolla, Intrepid, Monte Carlo SS, Crown Victoria, Silverado. Accord(X2) and Colorado. Best were (are) the Accords, worst was the Intrepid. Several are in the "wish I still had" category..like the Porsches. Amazingly after raising two children, I have never owned a SUV or minivan.
How is it that I missed Nissan? I guess some of it has to do with the perception, generalization and stereotype (ignorant or not) that Nissan plays the third string quarterback to the "big 3" Japanese players of Toyota, Honda and Nissan. But the coupe de grace in killing my interest in Nissan was an unfortunate expereince I had with a rented "Nissan".
After arriving on a flight at LAX, I rented an almost new 1976 Datsun B210 Hatchback from Avis. What a total pile of excrement!! Poor ride, cheap, no power, no visibility, poor HVAC and noisy as hell. This thing would not be acceptable in any third world country, much less the USA. The Datsun was a constant reminder that you were in a rolling penalty box.
Odd how life experiences manifest themselves in decision making and assumptions for many years. I guess my opinion of that B210 was shared by others. When was the last time you saw one?
Fast forward 35 years. Yesterday, I had a new 2010 Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 delivered to my home. The driver had me sign the papers and he left in a chase vehicle. First time I ever purchased a new vehicle without going to the dealer.
This was my second experience with carsdirect.com. The purchase is entirely conducted over the internet and telephone. The process is so simple, no pesky sales people, no haggling, no back and forth nonsense over price. With the $2000 factory rebate and the cardirect buying process, it came to over $5,000 off MSRP. Basically I bought new at used truck prices. I am very pleased and would never buy a vehicle any other way again.
First impressions with the new truck is solid, quiet and smooth. Steers and feels like a car. Nothing like the B210 I so fondly recall. The seats are at my butt height so I don't have to stoop or climb to get in. That's an important feature for us old timers. Seems very well built. Reason for purchasing was primarily to haul a slide-in, pop-up truck camper. Plan to do some camping and hit the car show and air show circuits. Maybe take in a NASCAR event too.
Stay safe everyone, enjoy the parched California scenery in the photos..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Welcome to CF. And welcome to Nissan. Hope you enjoy your truck. What part of parched California? I was born in Fresno, but moved to Mississippi at 8yrs old. I miss CA.

I like white Frontiers!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to CF. And welcome to Nissan. Hope you enjoy your truck. What part of parched California? I was born in Fresno, but moved to Mississippi at 8yrs old. I miss CA.

I like white Frontiers!
Antioch, halfway between Oakland and Sacramento.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Welcome

This (2010 SE CC) is my first Nissan too. Love it.

Beat the $hit out of Ridgelines and other wannabe's

·
Registered
677 Posts
Congrats on finding the truck you wanted! We actually had similar paths to owning our Nissans. We both started looking for used ones and had a hard time finding the right one, then eventually bought a new one. Like you I never stepped foot in the dealer, although I did not use carsdirect. I emailed and called a dealer 300 miles away and did all my bargaining through emails. It is a lot easier than in person. I also paid ~5000 less than invoice and the truck was delivered halfway. We signed paperwork at Mcdonalds!

Again, congrats and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
another white frontier on board...
take care of the truck, its good for a couple hundred K-miles should keep you going till you feel old.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
That's quite an impressive ownership record! I have to agree with you, an Accord is a car that's very hard to beat. I still have a 1991 Civic and it runs very well. Your Datsun story is similar to what my parents thought of their 1979 Civic. Worst car they ever owned, they claimed. But now our family is a devoted Honda family...with one Nissan added recently.

You've got a gorgeous truck. Congrats. It's so hard to find exactly what you want in a car. Someone else on these forums was talking about Cars Direct and how nice it was. See you around!

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Any pictures or links to the slide in camper you're referring to? Enjoy the new truck.

Clint

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, slide in camper pix. Good idea, let's see what I can rustle up for you. It's an '87 Starcraft that was rotten from water damage. I spent the last 18 months rebuilding it, all new wood underneath. Still have a few finishing touches to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2008 Frontier. I recently bought a slide in pop up camper. love it.
However, I would appreciate anybody telling me how to access the spare tire while the camper is on. If I find the answer I will certainly post it here so that you will have the answer as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts