Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit 1000 miles and wanted to do an oil change to change to synthetic and make sure any original build “leftovers” were flushed from the system; here are my thoughts:

1. The oil was just as dirty as I expected – I’m glad I didn’t wait until 3K as recommended.

2. Yes the oil filter was WAY too tight; that said, it is an oil change, it is not hard at all. I opened the filter door to allow the oil to drain from the filter, then I took the filter off by reaching around the skid pan.

I’d rate this as a 1.5 on a scale of 10 (due to the stuck filter & access), but it is EASY; don’t take your car to some auto tech you don’t even know, get under there and do it yourself. Your quality control is better, and you will get familiar with the underside of your truck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Isn't that a bit soon for the first oil change? I am not mechanically inclined by any means but I have heard that the manufacture's add something in the oil to new cars to help the break in. I can't say that for sure is true or if nissan does it. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
There is a thing called "break-in" oil but in the newer vehicles, most of the break-in occurs in the first 1k miles. I thou would have waited till 1.5k but 1k isn't horrible.

I wonder thou, instead of syn, why not dino till 3k and then syn? It doesn't matter but it would help put others at ease.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I did the exact same thing, right around 1000, I did an oil change using mobil one and purone filter. I'v e stuck to that combo since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been wrenching for decades. For my money, I’d like to get some synthetic oil in ASAP (apologies to the dino die-hards); and can’t imagine a “danger” or changing it too early. Oil’s enemies are heat and contaminates. Oil with less contaminates is better oil, and new engines are known for break in contaminates as new bearings and rings break in.

I know guys who build race motors, and their break in oil is whatever they run (M-1, Lucas, etc.), but they change it out early. Wait longer if you’d like, you will probably not have any issues; my vehicles get the first change in early, I’ve never had any problems, and they last a good long time.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree, get that oil out at 500 - 1000 miles. The tits are off the cylinder walls by then. Use synthetic, changed at 4K, then again at 10K. 10K intervals from then on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts