Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to do my first oil change at 1,000 miles. The last few weeks have been pretty busy and i didn't get around to it today. Current miles are just under 1,800.

I used Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance (M1-110) filter. These days, I buy my oil and filters from Amazon. Same price or cheaper than Wal-Mart and saves me a trip to the store.

The truck was much easier than the vehicle it replaced - 13' Subaru Forester 2.5XT. More clearance on the truck. Additionally, Subaru wrapped the exhaust manifold around the filter. You couldn't pull out the filter without dripping a little oil on the manifold. It was almost impossible to clean it up 100%, meaning the car smelled like burning oil for 100 miles after every change : ( Due to the location of the filter on the truck, it was a little less convenient than my wife's minivan. Her minivan has a paper filter in a canister in the engine compartment = less mess! Still, the Frontier was quick and easy. The oil that spilled under the filter upon removal was easy enough to clean up.

The oil still looked and smelled okay - which I guess is to be expected after only 1,800 miles.

I do have one concern. I let it drain for 20 mins or so. Also, I dumped the oil from inside the filter into my catchment. The oil pan was dripping just a bit when I replaced the plug. However, I only ended up with roughly 4.5 quarts of oil in my container. Is this normal? I haven't noticed any chatter about these engines burning oil. Is it possible the factory didn't fill it up all the way? Capacity is 5.4, right? I would have expected closer to 5 quarts in my container.

The truck has been running fine. I've checked the oil a couple of times - and it seemed to be okay, though I have to admit these dipsticks are a bit difficult to decipher. Oil pressure has always been right where it should in the middle. I added 5 to 5.5 quarts, shooting for 5.4. Dipstick is still a bit tough to read. The oil pressure is a tiny bit higher than it was, but still smack dab in the middle.

What do y'all think? Any reason to worry?

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
reason to worry? no. As long as the oil is in the full to add range you're fine. To help with the 'hard to read' dipstick I took a file from my toolbox and 'hashed' the area between tthe full & add marks. Another method is to take a very small drillbit and drill a small hole in the Full and Add lines.

·
Super Moderator
20,007 Posts
If you check the oil after the truck has been sitting overnight the dipstick should be easy to read. It's possible that the oil was consumed through blowby if it was at the proper level when you bought it. I don't see any reason to worry at this point. Just monitor the oil level at least weekly to see how it goes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I pulled out the owner's manual and it stated that it's normal to add some oil during the break in period. Zero Six LE, I'm assuming this is due to blow by that will cease now that the motor is broken in.

Also, we're probably talking about less than 1/2 a quart after you consider the residue in the discarded filter, rags, various containers, etc. used to change the oil. I imagine there is a little residual left in the motor too, even though I let it drain for sometime.

·
Super Moderator
20,007 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I pulled out the owner's manual and it stated that it's normal to add some oil during the break in period. Zero Six LE, I'm assuming this is due to blow by that will cease now that the motor is broken in.

Also, we're probably talking about less than 1/2 a quart after you consider the residue in the discarded filter, rags, various containers, etc. used to change the oil. I imagine there is a little residual left in the motor too, even though I let it drain for sometime.
You're welcome. Yes, there is always the possibility of blowby with these Nissan engines. Refill quantity is not the same as filling a dry engine either from the factory or after overhauling.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts

During break-in the rings have to seat, resulting in more than 'normal' blow-by or burning. This is one reason there is so much contention on method of break-in for new motors. Personally I'm in the "make it work for it" camp but the reality is unless you have a crate engine by the time you get a new vehicle the engine is already beyond the ring seat phase and its character is set. But if you rebuild or buy a crate its well worth to research break-in methods/reasons

1 - 8 of 8 Posts