Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all; New to club,
I am the lucky owner of an 06 Frontier NISMO Crew and am looking to have a little more fun with it. Have heard good things about CAI. What are some suggestions as to a first good modification to start off with? I have not changed anything on the truck (expect I had to get new tires a few months ago). Am looking to get more performance without changing (or even improving) MPG. Want the mods to be relatively maintance free (like not oiling filters, etc). What brands, products can you all recommend.

Also, any suggestions on a good radio to put in that allows ipod usage? Thanks so much everyone

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
There are numerous threads addressing each of your questions extensively. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with this forum and its wealth of information. Using the search function for topics of interest to you should yield plenty of informative threads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
first mods with a cheap price tag would be intake and exhaust. i have K&N intake and catback flowmaster exhaust. then get a tune/chip. that should get you started.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Best bang for buck i had was with a tuner, plus maintanace free. The Superchips is a great off the shelf tuner! Let us know what you went with!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome!
I also have an '06 Nismo Crew cab, and started modding about a year ago. My first mod was a CAI. The main choices are Volant, Nismo, K+N, Injen, and Stillen. the Volant and Stillen are both closed-box, whereas the others are open to the hood. I got the Stillen one on sale and I love the sound, slight mpg gain, and easy install. The volant is very popular but is a little more tricky to install- you have to move some things out of the way and take off the stock intake pipe and the Nissan-logoed engine cover.

I'm assuming you have the Rockford Fosgate sound system. I bought an adapter that plugs into the stock radio that gives you 2 Aux ports: its called a PAC AAI-NIS2. It works great and is the best mod I've made to the truck so far.

Some good initial interior mods (search these for more info): Pathfinder window switch covers, Garmin + Nissan Garmin GPS dock, Locking Differential mod, front window tint etc.
Hopefully this gets you started.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
A tuner was my very first mod. Excellent bang for the buck, and great startoff on stock truck.

D-mo

·
Registered
602 Posts
x2 tuner the only thing i got so far thinking about cai next then exhaust one thing at a time

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm with the Tuner guys.. 1st!

2nd. A loud(er) exhaust will make you stick your chest out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
tuners are great, would be my reccomendation if you don't really have a ceiling on your budget for your first mod, if your strapped for cash go with intake, theres tone out there for a variety of prices, ranging from stupidly cheap (making your own) and about $400 (ingen)
Most guys here i find go with the volant (if you still want to have an air box) the K&N if you like the open filter style, or the Ingen

Intakes are also second easiest to install and use after performance programmers

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Why is everyone saying a "tuner"? I'd suggest a VK swap and go from there. Nothing else will get you there without have to do a complete rebuilt anyway so why not just put the VK in when the VQ is out?

If not then a closed box CAI with a dryflow filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks

Very helpful ideas all of you. Wish I knew the acronyms better, don't know much about mod'ing yet. What is WOT and VK swap? Am thinking to go with CAI (just learned that one recently). Mainly for budget reasons, unless I can find a deal on a superchips or something. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
WOT: Wide Open Throttle

VK: The Nissan Titan has a VK56DE motor

VQ: The Nissan Frontier has a VQ40 (v6) or a QR25(4 banger)

CAI: Cold Air Intake (you know already thou)

AAL: Add-A-Leaf (lifts the rear end)

UCA: Upper Control Arm

LCA: Lower Control Arm

TBS: Throttle Body Spacer

IMS: Intake Manifold Spacer

There are others but that should get you started.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Very helpful ideas all of you. Wish I knew the acronyms better, don't know much about mod'ing yet. What is WOT and VK swap? Am thinking to go with CAI (just learned that one recently). Mainly for budget reasons, unless I can find a deal on a superchips or something. Thank you everyone.

Autoanything has a decend price on them and you can usually wait for them to have a 10% off sale or something, and shipping within the contienental US is free
But a CAI is a solid first choice, first thing i did to mine, and theres an awesome sticky for all of them, but to break it down a little simpler...

Open filter style stage 1 CAI (pipe and box replacement)
AEM
K&N
Weapon R (the sickest looking)
CoolVue (K&N knockoff, really cheap)

Open filter style stage 2 CAI (just box replacement)
AFE
AirRaid

Closed box style (which i think are the best, they won't suck as much warm air from inside your engine compartment)

Volant (i'd reccomend, price isn't too bad and the scoop is AWESOME)
Ingen
Stillen
S&B will apparently be coming out later this year with a closed style airbox, might be worth it to hold off and see how it turns out?

Also you can get the volant with a powercore filter off of autoanything now, which is a little better than the dryflow cones that the rest of these come with

1 - 14 of 14 Posts