Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've found myself taking my truck down trails more often than I thought I would, and have gotten in a bind a couple times where a bumper with a winch mount would have been useful. I've found a few commercially available bumpers, but I'm curious what you've put on your truck or built yourself. Post up some pics and details!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I made one myself, but I think Coastal Offroad bumpers from Canada (I think?) are really cool looking too.

The bull bar middle of my bumper is build out of 1/4" steel, which also holds the winch between it. It lines up well with the frame horns of the truck.
The outer portions under the headlights are 1/8" plate.

There also runs a 1/2" steel plate from between the frame horns that I added in, just as an extra strengthener.

It sticks out a little bit on the nose, but I wanted it to so that any impacts wouldn't immediately run the risk of puncturing the radiator. I used paint on bedliner to protect it, and its been holding up well for 2 years. I will need to repaint the bedliner within another 2 or 3 years, it looks like.

The shackles are probably overkill size, but that's what I already had, so that's what I put on. If memory serves me correctly, winch is a Smittybilt XRC 9500 lb capacity. Has done well for me on trail, pulled myself out from being high centered, stuck in soft ground, and pulled an F250 out from being stuck in shallow mud. I have had the winch longer than the bumper.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Reactions: propav8r

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey all, I've found myself taking my truck down trails more often than I thought I would, and have gotten in a bind a couple times where a bumper with a winch mount would have been useful. I've found a few commercially available bumpers, but I'm curious what you've put on your truck or built yourself. Post up some pics and details!
For the 98-2000, there are a few options out there...

4x4parts.com still has the TJM bumper listed on their website - I'd call to make sure they can still get them. I haven't seen anyone running one of those in a while.

ARB Still Sells a Bull Bar available through 4x4parts, 4WP, or even Amazon. That's what I'm running. It's ok. Has held up well under self recovery, tree removal, and snatch recovery situations. Easy winch install, easy bumper install. I've modified mine to fit fog lights, which there is plenty of room behind the bumper to do.

I think in retrospect, I'd go with the Coastal Offroad. Better construction, options for having the headlight hoops or not, and it bolts to the front of the frame rails into the factory threaded holes as well, whereas the ARB only bolts to the sides. This seems like it would really cut down on vibrations on washboard or otherwise. Call or email to confirm, but for a 98-2000 Frontier, I think you actually need to order their Xterra Bumper. The 2001-2004 frontier has a slightly different front end. If you use Coastal Offroad's Frontier bumper, you may have to remove the filler under the headlights to make it fit. you may want to do that anyways. Just a heads up, you may want to touch base with them before ordering.

Shrockworks still makes a bumper as well, and on their order form, they have an option for 1998-2000, or 2001-2004, so they have adjusted the design accordingly to make the bumper fit either the pre- or post- face lift models. I've heard that their bumper is super solid (I have their rear bumper, which is well built). I think it's heavier than the ARB due to thicker material, but don't quote me on that.

Anyways, good luck! Let us know what you go with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.