Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mean, I've taken it off road a little - nothing more than a spot near a creek...just enough to get a little dirt on it is all...

Anyhow yesterday I took it off road on a trail - I spotted a trail one day on my way into work, and decided yesterday that I'd see what's back there. Besides idiots dumping some stuff like washing machines and meth labs along with some big as hell bugs pelting my truck the whole way in and out (WTF? - at times it sounded like hail!) - it was pretty fun...lot more work than I'd imagined!

Since I was going solo, and had never taken my truck on any trails, and this one was much more rough than I thought it'd be, I took it SLOW and really used my ears, eyes, and the wheel to tell me if something wasn't right. I think the trail overall was about 1 mile long, lots of elevation changes, some pretty good sized bumps (good sized in my book is 6-18" - I'm a newb!) and ruts (that I tried to avoid, as they looked deeper than my tires would bite) and so on, and a tiny bit of mud here and there. Went in w/ 2WD, with something my Dad telling me years ago - drive in 2WD then use 4WD to get yourself out.

I have to say the truck does have a stiff/stout suspension, which IMO is a good thing (especially compared to my 97 Ranger I had before) - I never once hit anything underneath (except for high grass/weeds), and heck, this was my 2nd ever off-road trailgoing experience, and 1st time with this truck - so I wanted to make sure I do as much as I can right...

Once I hit the turn-around I put it in 4LO just to get some time with it, and it's amazing how much more you have to work with the steering wheel! Granted, terrain was dry clay w/ rock, so I'm sure that had a bit to do with it.

Anyhow, I'm impressed with this truck...seems to take everything you can (within reason) throw at it and it'll take it and ask for more.

Today it's rained, and I'm entertaining the idea that I might hit that trail again and see how bad it is...lol - only bad thing is there's no turning around until you reach the end unless you've got a spotter or get out...and I don't want to get dirty if I can help it! :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
glad you enjoyed it !

I must agree with your observation of it being quite a stiff ride, absolutely agreed. I grew up from age nothing offroading with the family and friends to now and I know a nice ride vs. a stuff obnoxious ride, and my frontier is close the the stiff obnoxious level.

My personal previous two vehicles (97 4x4 rodeo and 01 4x4 rodeo SUV trucks) felt wicked great off road on any terrains at any speeds, hopefully through some coil/spring swappage and modification I can get my truck feeling more comfy like my rodeos were with some looser flex to take the edge off of scary inclines and obstacles, Xterra has the same feel as my frontier... my latest riding buddy ashley has an SE 08 xterra and the ride is nearly the same minus the fact that her wheel base is much shorter.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Sounds great. The best thing you can do is take the truck out when it's stock, when you what area you wait to improve on.

I can't believe the amount of people that spend hundreds of dollars on on lift and armor before they even take the truck out.

·
Premium Member
13,442 Posts
Sounds great. The best thing you can do is take the truck out when it's stock, when you what area you wait to improve on.

I can't believe the amount of people that spend hundreds of dollars on on lift and armor before they even take the truck out.
Yep I started wheeling mine a little bit when it was bone stock...it definitely gave me a better sense of which upgrades I wanted to do first.

I had the same impression that you did, kannibul...I was amazed at how well the truck did before doing any mods at all. I went snow wheeling and over rocks that should have punctured the stock tires and everything. Just be careful about going out by yourself. Sometimes the mud will swallow you before you realize what is happening.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I started wheeling mine a little bit when it was bone stock...it definitely gave me a better sense of which upgrades I wanted to do first.

I had the same impression that you did, kannibul...I was amazed at how well the truck did before doing any mods at all. I went snow wheeling and over rocks that should have punctured the stock tires and everything. Just be careful about going out by yourself. Sometimes the mud will swallow you before you realize what is happening.
Yeah, unknown trail + being alone + inexperience can = not-so-fun...

But, I took it very slow and cautious and figured at worst I'll make my own turn around spot or...even get out of there in reverse. ;)

Very capable truck...I bought it in time for a couple of snow-events, and this same hilly area was closed off due to ice/snow - and I popped it in 4HI and went through no problem then...I knew it was a winner of a truck!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Agreed, truck does darn well... minus the "throw you into the ceiling if you're not wearing a seatbelt" ride.

I was very impressed in how well my truck did in the snow last winter. Foot and a half of powder was absolutely nothing, just trudged right on through, did dang well. I even had the bald factory FGB's on at the time. So, prepared to be even more amazing in your truck when snow falls. Now I've got some 285/75 blizzak's winter's that i'm excited to test out...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Agreed, truck does darn well... minus the "throw you into the ceiling if you're not wearing a seatbelt" ride.

I was very impressed in how well my truck did in the snow last winter. Foot and a half of powder was absolutely nothing, just trudged right on through, did dang well. I even had the bald factory FGB's on at the time. So, prepared to be even more amazing in your truck when snow falls. Now I've got some 285/75 blizzak's winter's that i'm excited to test out...
hitting the ceiling does hurt... hurts worse when you dont land back in the seat! lol:crikey:

I also agree 100% about these nissans being very sturdy in stock form. I have taken my 2wd on paths some 4wd's wouldn't go on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts