Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Am I the only one that loves the fact they haven't changed very much in 15 years. They are perfect work horses and just like the Jeep Cherokee which also had a 15 year run, which is extremely sought after because it is cheap and inexpensive to build into extremely capable offroaders, they will have parts for days so building and repairing the vehicle will be very inexpensive.
The current model isn't too bad looking. However they are completely out of date compared to other midsize trucks being offered by other companies. The tech and features on them currently are alright, that is if we were in the year 1998. Also I drove past one recently while in a nissan rogue, and the rogue sits higher and is larger interior wise. I don't know about anybody else, but I can speak for myself and I wouldn't dump $20k or more on one of these especially with toyota Ford,chevy, dodge, and even nissan themselves having LED daytime running lights, 7 to 8 inch indash screen with bluetooth capabilities, android auto, and backup camera etc and these are all standard features consumers want nowadays.

As far as it being a dependable off roader. That's cool if you already own one and are into that, but some of us want a nice looking modern midsize that can be used daily. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
518 Posts
The current model isn't too bad looking. However they are completely out of date compared to other midsize trucks being offered by other companies. The tech and features on them currently are alright, that is if we were in the year 1998. Also I drove past one recently while in a nissan rogue, and the rogue sits higher and is larger interior wise. I don't know about anybody else, but I can speak for myself and I wouldn't dump $20k or more on one of these especially with toyota Ford,chevy, dodge, and even nissan themselves having LED daytime running lights, 7 to 8 inch indash screen with bluetooth capabilities, android auto, and backup camera etc and these are all standard features consumers want nowadays.

As far as it being a dependable off roader. That's cool if you already own one and are into that, but some of us want a nice looking modern midsize that can be used daily. 🤷‍♂️
I for one have no use for most of the new "modern" tech they have on vehicles. Some people wonder why it costs so much to repair a vehicle now days. The backup camera, gps, and linking to my phone for hands free calls is all I expect. I also like the slightly smaller size the Frontier currently has over the other mid size trucks.

One should purchase the vehicle they will be happy with. The Frontier meets my needs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I for one have no use for most of the new "modern" tech they have on vehicles. Some people wonder why it costs so much to repair a vehicle now days. The backup camera, gps, and linking to my phone for hands free calls is all I expect. I also like the slightly smaller size the Frontier currently has over the other mid size trucks.

One should purchase the vehicle they will be happy with. The Frontier meets my needs.
Understandable and I agree to a certain extent as well. However due to them having an out of date vehicle that is not comparable to any other midsize with today's standards that's the reason sales are slumping for this segment.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So my wife went to get Rogue serviced this past weekend. the salesman that helped us lease her vehicle told her that the 2021 frontier will be in showrooms by the end of the year. that's interesting news, hopefully we can get more info prior to waiting til september or later to actually see it. i don't know about others but im getting mighty antsy and some of those leftover 2019 and 2020 titans are looking real good right now..... :unsure:
I find that somewhat doubtful. Nissan barely has the 2020 in showrooms, now and there hasn't yet been a press-release of event for them to show off the new body.

I understand that they want to keep it under wraps, but if the 2021 is just months away, they might want to start building up a little bit of hype or nobody is going to know it exists.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Am I the only one that loves the fact they haven't changed very much in 15 years. They are perfect work horses and just like the Jeep Cherokee which also had a 15 year run, which is extremely sought after because it is cheap and inexpensive to build into extremely capable offroaders, they will have parts for days so building and repairing the vehicle will be very inexpensive.
You're not wrong. The Frontier is a perfect work horse, and personally, I like how simple and analog things are. The truck is just plain easy to live with. I have little faith in Nissan, these days, I'm almost ashamed to own one. My fear is that they're going to fu*k it up royally, because that's what they've been doing for the last 15 years.

That said, I do want the current Frontier to get some incremental updates. I don't like the spongy buttons all over the interior, hopefully they fix the steering radius, and the seats that wear out in 2 years.

What the Frontier REALLY needs is a spec upgrade and some innovation. My request list:
-More Tactile buttons inside that click when I push them.
-Dome lamp switch on the left of the steering wheel, like a truck should have
-More secret storage areas under the floor, bed, bumper, seats, etc.
-Fold-flat rear seats with a goddamn midgate (angels sing)
-Slow open tail gate, and a power tailgate lock that locks with the doors
-Dry cargo area (like the ridgeline's trunk)
-~7500lb tow capacity and better towing mirrors
-Front and rear tow hooks from the factory
-Front and rear park sensors, maybe some 360° cameras

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find that somewhat doubtful. Nissan barely has the 2020 in showrooms, now and there hasn't yet been a press-release of event for them to show off the new body.

I understand that they want to keep it under wraps, but if the 2021 is just months away, they might want to start building up a little bit of hype or nobody is going to know it exists.
Well they better otherwise buyers will start looking at the other brands. Especially if they're in the market for a new midsize pickup. I'm trying to be patient and wait but who knows what'll happen when chevy updates the front fascia this year, toyota and jeep come out with new colors for their vehicles.... 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well they better otherwise buyers will start looking at the other brands. Especially if they're in the market for a new midsize pickup.
They've lost at least one customer already, I was set for a new truck, had an account with the money sitting there ready to spend . . . year after year no new truck. I watched the Mahindra truck appear on the horizon and get closer, only to fizzle out. I focused on the Chevy Colorado diesel, only to see them go bloated, upmarket out of my price range and crew cab only. Nissan Frontier diesel runner concept from 2014 looked really good. Wait, wait, wait, wait . . .

My needs had been gradually changing, and woke up one day with the realization that I no longer required a truck at all. Trucks are trending right now, markups are higher than for other types of vehicles. Trucks are no longer the good value they once were, they're profit centers for the manufacturers. I like plenty of hauling space, I only tow a light trailer, I don't need to carry passengers. My Nissan truck had a camper top, giving me an abundance of weatherproof cargo space. Well, I reasoned, how about an SUV or a crossover? They're not cool right now, meaning you can get a deal on them. The three row versions have lots of space with the seats folded down, bunches of tech, decent fuel economy, nice ride- a long list of features. I bought a used 2019 Kia Sorento with the 6 cyl. and AWD with locking diff. It's not an offroad vehicle, it's not a heavy duty towing machine, but that's not what I was doing with my truck, anyway. For well under $20k I have a vehicle that does everything I need, and in comfort and safety. If I need to carry people I just pop the seats back up.

I need to thank Nissan for dragging their feet; if they had come out with the new truck a year sooner, I'd have spent a lot more money.

·
Registered
429 Posts
With the economy tanked I doubt we’ll be seeing a new Nissan Frontier any time soon. Ford already delayed the reveal of the Bronco which was suppose to have happened last week. It ain’t looking good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They've lost at least one customer already, I was set for a new truck, had an account with the money sitting there ready to spend . . . year after year no new truck. I watched the Mahindra truck appear on the horizon and get closer, only to fizzle out. I focused on the Chevy Colorado diesel, only to see them go bloated, upmarket out of my price range and crew cab only. Nissan Frontier diesel runner concept from 2014 looked really good. Wait, wait, wait, wait . . .

My needs had been gradually changing, and woke up one day with the realization that I no longer required a truck at all. Trucks are trending right now, markups are higher than for other types of vehicles. Trucks are no longer the good value they once were, they're profit centers for the manufacturers. I like plenty of hauling space, I only tow a light trailer, I don't need to carry passengers. My Nissan truck had a camper top, giving me an abundance of weatherproof cargo space. Well, I reasoned, how about an SUV or a crossover? They're not cool right now, meaning you can get a deal on them. The three row versions have lots of space with the seats folded down, bunches of tech, decent fuel economy, nice ride- a long list of features. I bought a used 2019 Kia Sorento with the 6 cyl. and AWD with locking diff. It's not an offroad vehicle, it's not a heavy duty towing machine, but that's not what I was doing with my truck, anyway. For well under $20k I have a vehicle that does everything I need, and in comfort and safety. If I need to carry people I just pop the seats back up.

I need to thank Nissan for dragging their feet; if they had come out with the new truck a year sooner, I'd have spent a lot more money.
Personally, Nissan lost me as a fan back in 2004-2008. Terrible styling, terrible handling, terrible power. Just more and more bland appliance vehicles that are quietly released without anyone noticing. I only recently noticed Nissan apparently changed the tail lights on all of their models to achieve a new brand image. I couldn't possibly recommend a Nissan to any friend, I don't even want to get one as a rental car, especially the Versa. This is coming from someone who has owned over 10 different Nissan/Infiniti vehicles since 1996 and rented another 8. Being honest, I'd take an FCA vehicle over Nissan and I HATE FCA.

That all said, there's a reason I went with the Frontier in 2015, and I would still get one (4.0L, outgoing model/engine) today: Because it's a lot of value for the money. It's VERY affordable, even for the top tier Pro-4X. It's analog, uncomplicated, and very supported, which means its a breeze to repair and maintain. It's got the specs to back it up, and is great off-road. I mean, sure, some of the trucks designed in the last 2 years will beat the Frontier, but look at how huge they are. The Frontier is an incredibly easy truck to live with, especially for a DD. Having just done it in a Ram 1500, I couldn't possibly DD a full size, or even the much larger Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma vehicles.

It's certainly not going to earn the title "Truck of the year", but it reminds me of the old B13 SE-R ad campaign. The Frontier picks on trucks twice its size.

I've been where you were with the Diesels. I also tried shopping the Colorado Diesel before fizzling out on the price and availability. I kept a close eye on the Frontier Diesel Runner. I bought my wife a 2016 CX-5 as our family CUV. Here's what I learned:

1. Pickup Trucks are tough to live with. Even with a bed cover, I don't consider the bed to be "Dry cargo" I call it the "mold zone." CUV/SUVs offer much more dry cargo storage for a family/daily vehicle, but in my life, my truck is a necessity for my job and my life. I own 2 small trailers and I support the maintenance department in my company.

2. I'm giving up on Diesels. The Colorado Diesel is a failure, in my book. A carefully choreographed failure between a manufacturer that didn't want to supply enough to meet demand and a customer base that wasn't willing to pay $45-55k for a mid-size truck. I can tell you why the Diesel Runner died: because it probably will suffer the same fate. The Titan Diesel was also cancelled.

I would love to have a Frontier Diesel, but I'll probably change my mind quick when NO dealerships actually order them and I have to drive 250 miles just to be told, "We can't come down on price because this truck is too in-demand." I've NEVER seen a Colorado Diesel on the street, but apparently it's a "High Demand" vehicle and that's why dealerships are only ordering 1 per month and selling it over sticker. Welcome to the Dealership model.

3. CUVs can be very cramped. Be careful what you choose. Once my wife began to stock the CX-5 with car seats, strollers, and extra diapers. It got very small inside. We're finding that we could've really used a CX-9 with the back seats permanently folded down. My Frontier has actually become our road-trip vehicle, since there's just not enough room in the CX-5.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts