Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
As the title says I finally got the time this summer to get my CP on. nNstallation took a fair amount of time due to stripped fan nuts, and a VERY stubborn pulley (we did not have a puller available and it was sunday so no stores were open). The fan shroud I can honestly say was rather poorly installed, and the lower shroud seems to be nothing more then a nusience. Needless to say I removed the skid plate to get at it, and to not have to worry about it catching all the hardware from up top. 200 ft/lb impact gun didn't work so the old starter bump method was used at it worked like a charm...nothing came flying off. Initial impressions are quicker throttle response and a fast drop in RPM's when the clutch is pushed in, which is kind of a nice improvement for shipping. My engine/exhaust note seems to have gotten a little more growl in it too. No change in idle. Although I certainly wouldn't pay full price for this part as I never really felt that much seat-of-the-pants, I did learn a lot on the install.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Looks good. I have two questions thou, why are you missing a radiator cap? Also, I hate you so much. I didn't know the fan was in 2 parts. When I did the install and then later the Efan mod, I took off the 4 nuts (rounded one off in the process) and scratched the crap out of my hands. If I knew you could take the fan apart in 2 steps, it would have been much easier.

I have to say again thou, it does look good. Its a minor change that does help liven up the truck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I stripped one of my fan nuts too, but they are the same size that came off the manifold studs so I had a spare at hand from doing the IMS. I wouldn't call it an all day project, like 3 hours is a good bet. Most of that time will be trying to get the bolt out of the crank pulley.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
a nice tip with the fan bolts.....

if you put a 3/8 ratchet in the opening on the belt tensioner, then pry back on the tension, you release all the pressure on the belt and pulleys. i pushed on the tensioner with one hand and i could freely spine the fan pulley.

just makes it easier that way to always have a bolt on top, instead of trying to reach underneath to get a nut you cant see.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks good. I have two questions thou, why are you missing a radiator cap? Also, I hate you so much. I didn't know the fan was in 2 parts. When I did the install and then later the Efan mod, I took off the 4 nuts (rounded one off in the process) and scratched the crap out of my hands. If I knew you could take the fan apart in 2 steps, it would have been much easier.

I have to say again thou, it does look good. Its a minor change that does help liven up the truck.
I took the cap off when I partially drained my coolant for when I took off the upper rad hose. And the fan shroud IS in 2 parts, but the upper shroud really is the whole damn thing, and the lower shroud is a useless little smiley face that sits in the very bottom of the upper shroud.

Nice work man. So would you say this is a all day project to diy?
Took myself and a friend 6 hrs...5 to take apart and 1 to put back together. 3 Problems we had: stripped fan nuts = 2 hrs...crank bolt = 1 hr (didn't want to do the start bump right away)...taking the crank pulley off without a pulley = 1 hr. So I'd say 3 hrs with some beer breaks, 2 hrs if you wanted to git er dun.

if you put a 3/8 ratchet in the opening on the belt tensioner, then pry back on the tension, you release all the pressure on the belt and pulleys. i pushed on the tensioner with one hand and i could freely spine the fan pulley.

just makes it easier that way to always have a bolt on top, instead of trying to reach underneath to get a nut you cant see.
Excellent tipe Mandangalo...we ended up doing this after we stripped the fan nuts and needed to grind them flat to get them off...in the end I used all new fan nuts straight from Nissan, and I replaced 2 of the studs as well.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Nice work man. So would you say this is a all day project to diy?
Heck, if you can get the crank bolt loose this can be a 1-2 hour job. I got very good at taking everything off and on, I just still can't get my crank bolt loose.

X2 much easier

·
Registered
39 Posts
As the title says I finally got the time this summer to get my CP on. nNstallation took a fair amount of time due to stripped fan nuts, and a VERY stubborn pulley (we did not have a puller available and it was sunday so no stores were open). The fan shroud I can honestly say was rather poorly installed, and the lower shroud seems to be nothing more then a nusience. Needless to say I removed the skid plate to get at it, and to not have to worry about it catching all the hardware from up top. 200 ft/lb impact gun didn't work so the old starter bump method was used at it worked like a charm...nothing came flying off. Initial impressions are quicker throttle response and a fast drop in RPM's when the clutch is pushed in, which is kind of a nice improvement for shipping. My engine/exhaust note seems to have gotten a little more growl in it too. No change in idle. Although I certainly wouldn't pay full price for this part as I never really felt that much seat-of-the-pants, I did learn a lot on the install.

Hi,
I will be installing my pulley tomorrow and i have a couple of questions,
-I have a 600ft impact gun on hand already and if it doesnt work i guess i have to do the bump start method and i know i have to pull some fuse out,where it is located?
-If i do the bump start method ,should i remove the belt or the belt stays on.
any help or advice should be apprecited .Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
I will be installing my pulley tomorrow and i have a couple of questions,
-I have a 600ft impact gun on hand already and if it doesnt work i guess i have to do the bump start method and i know i have to pull some fuse out,where it is located?
-If i do the bump start method ,should i remove the belt or the belt stays on.
any help or advice should be apprecited .Thanks
-Well the 600ft/lb gun SHOULD be enough...or at least I'd hope so lol. If for whatever reason it doesn't work, (BTW there's plenty of room to fit an impact gun in there) I chose to pull the fuel pump fuse before I did the starter bump method. The fuse diagram is given on the inside of the fuse box lid when you remove it which is a nice feature, so you know for sure you've pulled the right fuse. If your lid doesnt have that for some odd reason, let me know and I can check my truck to see which one it is.
-I'm trying hard to remember if we removed the belt beforehand, but I honestly can's say for sure. Really, removing the belt before you go after the crank bolt would work the best, because then you can take the pulley off right after the belt. Just remember to lower the tensioner before trying to remove a belt. I believe a 3/8" drive will do the trick.

Hope this helps and good luck with the install!

·
Registered
39 Posts
-Well the 600ft/lb gun SHOULD be enough...or at least I'd hope so lol. If for whatever reason it doesn't work, (BTW there's plenty of room to fit an impact gun in there) I chose to pull the fuel pump fuse before I did the starter bump method. The fuse diagram is given on the inside of the fuse box lid when you remove it which is a nice feature, so you know for sure you've pulled the right fuse. If your lid doesnt have that for some odd reason, let me know and I can check my truck to see which one it is.
-I'm trying hard to remember if we removed the belt beforehand, but I honestly can's say for sure. Really, removing the belt before you go after the crank bolt would work the best, because then you can take the pulley off right after the belt. Just remember to lower the tensioner before trying to remove a belt. I believe a 3/8" drive will do the trick.

Hope this helps and good luck with the install!
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I pulled both the fuel pump and I believe the ignition fuse so there would be no fuel or spark to accidentially get the motor turning.

600 should be good. I believe that is what Brutal uses and he has never had an issue.

I took the belt off right in the beginning. It was right after I took off the fan/shroud.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions along the way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well finally i installed the pulley yesterday and unfortunately the 600 ft/lbs. impact gun is not enought but bump start trick works like a charm.Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well finally i installed the pulley yesterday and unfortunately the 600 ft/lbs. impact gun is not enought but bump start trick works like a charm.Thanks guys for the help.
Got any pics?
Alltogether how hard was the install?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? Wow...I would've thought that gun would be able to do it. Oh well...at least you were able to get it out with starter bump. How did the rest of the install go?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Really? Wow...I would've thought that gun would be able to do it. Oh well...at least you were able to get it out with starter bump. How did the rest of the install go?
The hardest part of the install is taking the fan shroud out cause at first i didnt remove firts the radiator fan.Then i have to go to autozone to rent the pulley puller.Otherwise the install is okey.

Got any pics?
Alltogether how hard was the install?
Pics. are on the first page of this thread.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hardest part of the install is taking the fan shroud out cause at first i didnt remove firts the radiator fan.Then i have to go to autozone to rent the pulley puller.Otherwise the install is okey.
Ahh yes...the fan shroud. Did you pull off the bottom bit of the fan shroud too or just the main piece?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts