Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got them in. The Truetrac looks really cool. It's also a shiny heavy sob. The full setup-gears and Truetrac weighed in about 43lbs, most of it being the Truetrac. I'm getting them installed tomorrow by a local shop I trust and have had do gears before. I wanted to do it myself, but between the fact I've never done gears before and I don't have a dial indicator and a press i decided it was smarter to let him do it for me.
I find it interesting that the gears are a 4.11 ratio, not the 4.10 ratio often mentioned here. Don't know what brand it is, got them from a respected vender mentioned often on this site. But they have 37 teeth on the ring and 9 teeth on the pinion. They line up great with the Truetrac, so I can only assume and pray they are correct. Will find out soon enough.
Anyway, hoping this will finally allow me to hook up good and get my track times down like they should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
gotta get a light weight drive shaft at some point too

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OBX's are doing great. Was just looking at them last week. Still a pretty chrome/blue color. No leaks, no corrosion. I know those new longtubes are pretty good headers, but I cant logically take off my nice equal length OBX's for them. I think these are a pretty good match for my setup.
About the light weight drive shaft-never really though about it. I'm truthfully not trying too go crazy into racing. Just making a powerful, fun, but also reliable truck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
As the most badass NA frontier you have to post NAST'Y burnout vids with the trutrack. The ones with you breaking loose in 2nd gear were killer, let er rip with the posi bro,

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
sub'd for droolz, good luck and enjoy RD :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As the most badass NA frontier you have to post NAST'Y burnout vids with the trutrack. The ones with you breaking loose in 2nd gear were killer, let er rip with the posi bro,
Once I get it broke in, I intend to do a little clip having some fun. Hate to kill my tires like that, but gotta have a little fun, maybe lose a few months or so off my tires life will do :).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
wow i cant wait!!!! this is gunna be sick! with those gears i dont think you will have any problem roasting those tires. lol

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Are you going to safety wire or re-loctite the TT bolts?

I know some of the Titan guys had some bolts back out and cause issues, one even blew the diff. It may be something to look at before it is just thrown in.

·
Registered
242 Posts

I know some of the Titan guys had some bolts back out and cause issues, one even blew the diff. It may be something to look at before it is just thrown in.

Dang, I was fixin' to suggest that...There's been a few Toyota fellas that have had that problem too.

How thick is that ring gear spacer?

That's the route I'm going when someone has the 4.10/4.11 available for the M205... It's getting old driving around with 285's and 3.36 gears.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, no safety wire on the truetrac for me. I've thought about it, but think it's got its own issues. Main reason I don't care for the idea of safety wire is the fact that the bolts are recessed. The wire would have to go over these recess lips to get to the next bolts in certain locations. I think thats just asking for trouble. The wire might eventually wear through and then I would have wire fragments in my rearend. Plus I have a concern about it throwing it out of balance. Just my feelings about it, might be wrong. I'll just do regular inspections every 6 months or so like mist the Titan guys do.
Now the bad news --THE GEARS WONT FIT!!!!!!!
It was a no-go on the gears today. Basically the pinion has a different spline count than my driveshaft coupling. The only good news is that we did manage to get my Truetrac installed. No issue on fitment there. So I now need to try to find another coupling from a different Frontier-year, 4 x 4, or I don't know-- that will fit my Pinion. The ring itself I think is fine, but couldn't be certain since the pinion couldn't be mounted. But the ring gear fit the Truetrac just fine.
I dont have both the exact counts, but I know my 4.11 Pinion has 29 splines, all even I think. The 3.54 Pinion and coupling had I think less, and has 2 flat spots on it too. I think i read on this forum where one of you 4 x 4 guys had similar issues, so I gotta research. If anybody has any good ideas, I'm all ears.
The part that really sucks, is If I can find the correct Coupling, I still will have to pay for installation again.:comphead:
Well at least I can lay to nice black lines now. Just gotta get it broken in first. I guess I should be happy with that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Send Penski a PM. I think he did a little research on that. I want to say a Rubicon flange might work??? I'm not sure, I could be talkin' out my azz, can't quite remember...

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
that sucks RD, hope you can get it sorted

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I know I have a 4-bolt flange and from checking penspkis post probablu a 24 splines. i would like to find the correct flange if I can. So if anybody have a good source for nissan parts and numbers any help would be appreciated. I do have some time now since my truck is back on the road, so I shouldn't hopefully have to go to the extremes that penski did. PM sent to you penski.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
My Nismo came with a really nice aluminum driveshaft. I have no intention of ever changing it. Light weight shafts are a waste. I got one for my Z and it dropped alot of weight, but didn't do anything for performance. The rotating mass of a DS is so close to the axle that it doesn't have that much of an effect. A flywheel on the the other hand makes a ton of difference. But lightweight flywheel on a truck is questionable as well. I however did go from a two piece DS on the Z to a one piece. That was noticeable, it added to some vibrations too.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, little update. I finally managed to find what I think is the correct yoke(companion flange) that I need. 4x4parts.com had a 29 spline, 4 bolt one in stock. Cost about $100. Just received it today and it looks correct. I'll be getting it installed(I hope) in a couple days. I wish I had the part number for this yoke so I could post it up for others incase they decide to get gears, but the flange has no number on it and while the box says nissan on it, it also has no part number on it.
I just really hope the gears are correct also and everything fits. I'll find out soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
if it is correct, i've got a friend that works at a nissan dealership, i can have him look up the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Finally got my 4.11's installed. The companion flange(yoke) I got from 4x4parts.com was what I needed. The install went without issue on friday.
So, I've driven just under 200 miles since then and have been testing them out. I haven't went all out yet, but blip the throttle quite a few times. Spun the tires a fews times, some by mistake & some intentional. Nothing serious yet until I get a few more miles on the gears
My first impressions--
1-I love the gears!
2-So far, I cant tell any drop in mpg, still getting about 18mpg combo driving
3-RPM at 60mph is 2050, and at 70mph is 2400, not bad I think
4-My truck noticeably pulls harder now
5-1st gear goes by very quickly
6-Even with truetrac, now with the gears I can still spin them some in 2nd from a roll
7-Cruising on the freeway in 6th it is much nicer doing slight roll-on's accelerations
8-The gears have taken away a little of the gains my Truetrac gave, but not near all.
Anyway, I'm very pleased with the gears. I feel the pair-Truetrac and 4.11's-is what I've been needing badly for a long time. I will be going to the track in the next couple weeks, I do expect some nice and improved results. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
:fantastic: i don't think i'm gonna need gears unless they are just stronger than the OEM's once i get done with my eventual build, but i will need a TT like whoa... i think you know what i'm talking about :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts