Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my skid plate in, it is a lot nicer than I thought it would be, I think these guys get an A+, will find out how well it fits when I give it a try.
My question is should I paint it a color or just clearcoat it and if I paid it a color should I paint it black to match my truck although no one will see it should I paint it red because I do have a lot of red cans at home or should I paint it some other color.
I do have two cans of black Plastidip and will do that but will that work well to stay on there if it gets scratched or will that peel off too easily?

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Did you go with steel or the alum? definitely looks beefy!

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steel

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
before you paint it, hit it with a light sand paper and cloth to clean any oils off it. I did three light coats of grey primer followed by 4 coats of red paint. Main reason I went with red was to make it easier to look for scratches for when it does its job. If you only have that one skid, no one will see it regardless of color. I have full Hefty steel skids, all painted red, my gas tank skid and brackets peek out from below.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Looks good! Paint it rather than plastidip!
Paint is a lot more durable. Red or black paint, it's there for rust protection.
I have 3 of their aluminum skids to replace my steel ones on order.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yep - That is one hunky chunk of steel!

Is there enough clearance above it for a Fumoto oil drain valve?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - That is one hunky chunk of steel!

Is there enough clearance above it for a Fumoto oil drain valve?

well we will see tomorrow, I think there is, I already have one installed

I will probably go red, as I have several can on hand

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well so far i put on two coats of red, gonna possibly do another after work

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
This thread gets Bonus Points for using the word "nipple"...

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it mounted, now time to get the radiator skid

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I did my skids high vis orange, it always makes me chuckle when people ask if I have underglow. Hefty stuff is nice, good call on them. It looks like you put a bit of effort into the painting too.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was thinking about buying the radiator skid but my gosh they are so expensive and I only do Beach driving when it comes to off-road for the most part

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

I need some help pricing my OEM radiator skid what do you think it would be worth for me to sell it has no dents, what do you think it is worth?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I was thinking about buying the radiator scared but my gosh they are so expensive and I only do Beach driving when it comes to off-road for the most part

I need some help pricing my OEM radiator skid what do you think it would be worth for me to sell it has no dents, what do you think it is worth?

Give it to someone local so they can double it up and have a little protection.

I strongly suggest that you take the time to drill the holes needed to mount the engine skid at all 4 corners. Those M8 weld nuts in the frame are very weak and can break loose easily.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You don't really "need" a new skid if your are beach driving, but it would look cool. I have the hefty engine skid as well. Kinda messy when I take it in for oil changes.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I have a full set of the Hefty aluminum skids and really like them. I have beat them on rocks while off-roading and they have held up great! (not intentionally ... it just happens)

Reactions: jaymarstel

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't really "need" a new skid if your are beach driving, but it would look cool. I have the hefty engine skid as well. Kinda messy when I take it in for oil changes.

I know what you are saying, but I have seen drift wood get caught up in oil pans and tear them up and I saw while with my cousin that a 2x4 piece of drift wood went up into his rocker panel and dented his 3 day old Chevy Silverado, these things are rare but do happen so better to be safe then sorry...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a full set of the Hefty aluminum skids and really like them. I have beat them on rocks while off-roading and they have held up great! (not intentionally ... it just happens)

Those Hefty Skid Plates look awesome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts