Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Finally got my first Frontier!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  shift_RUSH 
#1 ·
I traded my 2011 Malibu in for a 2007 SE 4x4 Automatic Crew Cab Long Bed with 132,XXX miles on it. It has some definite wear and tear on the exterior, but mechanically it seems to be in pretty good condition.

Now that I have it I am wanting to do as much preventative maintenance on it as possible to help the longevity. Funds will force me to spread it out over the course of a few months.

Here's what I have in mind so please let me know if I have missed something...I am aware of all of the great write ups on here that pertain to a lot of these, although the photobucket photos no longer showing have made that information slightly less informative (shame on them)

1. Synthetic Oil Change
2. Transmission Fluid Change (not flush) of 4-5 quarts every few weeks until the fluid looks new
3. Power Steering Fluid
4. Radiator Coolant
5. Front/Rear/Transfer Case Fluid
6. Brake Fluid Change
7. New Air Filter (both engine and cabin)
8. New Spark Plugs

I can't tell for sure if the radiator in this one is stock or aftermarket. That said, I want to ensure I am protected from the SMOD issue. Below is a link that shows how to do the bypass on an Xterra which shows a pretty good photo of the hoses to be swapped on page 1. Will this really remove the risk of SMOD? It seems kind of simple...

How-to: Bypass Radiator Transmission Cooler - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

See less See more
#4 ·
The bypass will be happening ASAP. It just seemed too simple of a fix to swap the locations of those 2 hoses so I was wanting to make sure.

#6 ·
^^^What he said!

Going from a Malibu to a Frontier...Jeeze, that must feel like divorcing Rosie O'Donnel to marry Jennifer Lawrence!

#7 ·
Congrats on your purchase. Buy a new radiator, don't do the bypass. Keep the truck as designed.

Clint

#9 ·
The point is the trucks with failures had bad radiators so if you buy a quality replacement you be fine. When my Pathfinder and my brothers Pathfinder both lost their transmission and radiator, Nissan replaced them and the radiators and all was fine for at least the next 6 years and MANY miles until traded and never even considered bypassing either truck. One point is in colder climates you need the heat from the radiator to warm the trans fluid in winter.
Everyone is welcome to do otherwise.

Clint

#10 ·
I'll have to do the bypass until I can get the funds to get a new radiator. I'll definitely add that to the list.

#11 ·
Consider replacing your coolant hoses as well.
Good luck w/ your progress toward renewal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.