Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. the guy that welded on my sliders suggested fiber glass skid plates. see he has a moon buggy that is insane and he does alot rock crawling. yes i plan on going around once a month, i have a wife and 2 kids so not sure how that is gonna work out. lighter material sound good. he says its strong enough but it does wear down.

is it worth it or am i better off with metal ones??

this is a pic of his moon buggy.
downsized_0806091240.jpg
I WISH

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
i would be wary of this. if i were looking to protect my undercarriage, i would not do it with fiberglass. metal would be my only choice. the weight is really the only downside i see

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah with the wieght of the truck coming against a rock I'd want a Metal skidplate protecting my soft spots. I bet fiberglass works for the buggy cuz its light, but just to be safe go with metal.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
^^^
X2

I can't see fiberglass being very protective at all.

·
Registered
256 Posts
HDPE skid plate - Nissan Xterra Forum: Xterra Forums

This would be the only option other than metal that I would use. There's a few xterra guys over there that have/had them and liked them. They can apparently take a decent beating too.

As strong as polyethylene is, it is not strong enough without sufficient thickness. And once you get a piece thick enough it is HEAVY. For the weight you'd be better off going with thinner, stronger, and more wear resistant sheet metal plates.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
As strong as polyethylene is, it is not strong enough without sufficient thickness. And once you get a piece thick enough it is HEAVY. For the weight you'd be better off going with thinner, stronger, and more wear resistant sheet metal plates.
I'm pretty sure that guy reinforced it with metal sheeting to make it stronger but still a lot lighter and cheaper than shrock or any other professionally made skids. He said the whole sheet, before he cut it, weighed 100 lbs. I am planning to do this in the future at some point and for the trails I run, they will be plenty strong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill will call him back tom. and find out if he is talking about that same material or if it is just fiber glass like i thought. that thread did talk about heat being a big issue now. that would be a problem cuz im not gonna even try to mess with that. this is a new hobby for me and i dont have a ton of money to mess with.

but it looks like ill be putting on a metal one.

thanks peewee, that was a good thread to read.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm the one who did the HDPE sheet. I didn't back it with metal, but there are 3 cross supports as detailed in the referenced thread, with more details here.

I believe that the skid will be plenty strong. The only trouble I've had is around the exhaust where it crosses from the driver's to the passenger's side. My solution was to simply cut away material in this area, though I considered wrapping the exhaust. I didn't want to back the poly with a metal sheet since I didn't want to reflect any heat back to the transfer case and floor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts