Beamtech LED bulbs
LED interior lights
x5 roof mounted 7" offroad lights
x3 bumper mounted 7" offroad lights
36" rear chase light

Wheels:
Level 8 Strike 6 wheels
285/75R16 General Grabbers ATX
Dual 33" spares (wrapped in General Grabber rubber)
Black 6 spline lug nuts
2" rear wheel spacers

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Funny post .... at least it made me grin. Look forward to seeing what else happens

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, in time my top post will be updated. For now we'll take things slow..

September 21, 2016:

This was the day I brought the truck home from the dealership. With a fresh detail and full tank of gas, I brought her back home to the stable. For those who are interested in a little backstory on why I picked this truck up, I'll give you some insight. For the past 4 years I've built and loved anything that was planted on the grounded. Anything that was low, wide, and had no ground clearance, was what I was into. One of my closest friends however, had several Tacomas throughout the years, ranging from stock to full blown racetruck, and I always envied him being able to go on trails/mud/dessert terrain. After recently selling my beloved mustang earlier this year, I upgraded my sport bike, and pretty much went without a project for 4 months. Fast forward to September, I decided to pull the trigger and get myself into a truck to experience the other side of the hard paved streets. I chose a Frontier for a few simple reasons; it was cheaper than a Tacoma (my first pick), they don't binge on gas like alot of V8s, and it isn't a standard truck people convert into a prerunner. With that in mind, I hopped the gun and financed one.

It's a 2008 Frontier SE crew cab, 2 wheel drive, in storm grey.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ask and you shall receive! But seriously, I think some tint for the front windows/windshield are next. Small things, then big things, then out of money, and then back to small things.

September 23, 2016:

My immediate goal for this truck is to create a "mild" prerunner/overland machine, with a mid-travel kit, glass all around, some nice wheels and tires, and other goodies here and there. What happens after I accomplish that goal is beyond my control as I tend to spend copious amounts of money on things I don't need when I get bored.

Anyways, enough messing around. Let's start getting into the swing of things. The beginning of the build will start off slow, with minor upgrades and necessities. Upon bringing the car home, the first thing I did was swap out the crappy old headunit (crappy in that it was aftermarket with no aux port) and put in the one from my ex-daily.

Uh oh, spaghettios.

Next up came painting this shiny chrome grille.

Then I got interrupted when I saw the condition of the headlights so I restored them a bit.

And now back to our regular scheduled programming. I sanded down the grille with some 2000 or so sandpaper, hit it with a couple coats of primer, then a few coats of matte black paint, and voila.

Not my best work, but definitely not my worst. Once the new glass is ordered, I'll have the grille thrown into the booth to have it color matched. But this is definitely fine for now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not sure what "the new glass" means. Are you going to get the bumper painted too?

I'm not sure whether I want to get a custom front bumper on mine or just get the OEM
one Rhinolined.

I'm not clear on the rules for this area of the forum, are we allowed to ask questions or
just wait and see?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what "the new glass" means. Are you going to get the bumper painted too?

I'm not sure whether I want to get a custom front bumper on mine or just get the OEM
one Rhinolined.

I'm not clear on the rules for this area of the forum, are we allowed to ask questions or
just wait and see?
New glass meaning fiberglass (fenders and bedsides). I'm going with a tube front and rear bumper.

Open discussion is fine, provided it is relevant to the topic at hand.

Looks like you are off to a good start, OP. I like your banner in the first post. :)
Appreciate it! I like to get creative sometimes. ::grin::

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
October 9, 2016:

This afternoon I cruised up to Yucaipa, CA to pick up my freshly built prerunner bumper. Big thanks to @ dezert_runner_official for the great customer service and exceptional work. I had them build me a widened skid plate and extend the tubular bumper on each side to accommodate the future fiberglass fenders. It came out even better than I anticipated. I'll be leaving the bumper bare for now as I am still undecided on what color I want. I'm leaning towards a medium gray/graphite color however to compliment the body.

And done.

Surprisingly, it doesn't look half bad on a stock body. I'm hoping to have some quality suspension under it shortly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
October 17, 2016:

I got a bit more work done on the front bumper this past week. And by a bit more work, I simply mean I sanded, primered, and painted it.
I just went with good ol' gloss black and hit the grill with an extra coat as well. Looks just right against the storm gray.

In a few days I'll order some titan lower control arms, get the front windows tinted, and possibly get some lights for the bumper.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
October 28, 2016:

Nothing too major this week... the new titan lca's arrived. I just got some oe replacements. They came with all the bushings, balljoints, and all that jazz but I still might end up replacing those before throwing them in.

I also got the front windows tinted to match the rest of the truck. 15%. Looks tits.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
November 19, 2016:

I recently installed a cheap PA system inside my truck. For shits and giggles and predominantly offroad use. The mic is pretty quiet but the sirens and sounds are great and clearly audible. I'll see if I can get a video uploaded of the PA in action. I pretty much ghetto rigged it since it's very light and just fit it where I could. The wires have all been cleaned up and zip tied to the edge of the fender. The speaker is actually tucked up under the stock intake so it's well hidden.

I also purchased some LEDs to brighten up the inside and out of the truck.

I changed out both map lights:

The dome light:

The cargo lights:

And the front sidemarker bulbs:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
November 23, 2016:

My new wheels came in today. I went with a set of Level 8 Strike 6 wheels in black with a machined lip. They are 16 X 8.5 et-6 all around. Nothing too special but I figured I can make them work. The first thing I'm going to do is mask them off and redo the lips a different color. Probably going to go with gold or bronze. I'm not a big fan of the center caps so I'll probably end up swapping those out as well. Other than that, I really like the design of the wheels and am pretty satisfied with what I have planned.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
November 25, 2016:

Got the wheels finished up today. I stuck with my roots and went with a Ford color, sunburst gold, for the lips. Nothing too special for the process, just some masking, 3 coats of primer, and 5 coats of paint. I ended up skipping the clear coat as I'm pretty happy the way they came out without being too glossy. The new lugs nuts should be here mid-week and hopefully then I can get them mounted.

·
Rogue Admin
13,107 Posts
Those look good with the painted lips. Wouldn't adding clear-coat help prevent the paint chipping? I would think this may be an issue on rims (if you 4x4 or offroad at all)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those look good with the painted lips. Wouldn't adding clear-coat help prevent the paint chipping? I would think this may be an issue on rims (if you 4x4 or offroad at all)
Thanks man. I came to the same conclusion as my bumper; since I'll be doing some serious offroading and they're bound to get chipped, I'd rather just leave them uncleared that way I can touch them up with leftover paint if they get nicked or a bit of the paint comes off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
December 2, 2016:

The new lug nuts finally came in which means I could send the wheels off for mounting! I'm thrilled at how these came out. When I upgrade to 33"s (most likely general grabbers) they'll look tits. I also got some other goodies which I should have in an update tomorrow or Sunday. I didn't snap too many pictures but I'll let the few I did take speak for themselves.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
December 5, 2016:

A few more parts came in for the new suspension recently. The first being a set of of PRG variable height shackles.

The other a set of lightly used 2.5 Icon coilovers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
looks great. Those rims are awesome. The color really kicks off the build. I love it..

1 - 20 of 102 Posts