Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if this has came up before but is there a better way to attach the fender flares im getting little pebbles and dirt clods in between the flare and the body and it pushes the flare out so you can see it and it looks horrible

ive seen 4 bangers with a little rubber piece in between the flare and body

also how do you remove the fender flares anyhow

thanks you

grant

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
I have no experience with this, but this is what I would do.

once you figure out how to detach them--
clean them and seal them with gray RTV, and then re-attach.
remove the excess with a squeegee or your finger. (I don't mean the kind of squeegee used to clean your windows)
--a scraper, plastic application spatula, whatever they're called.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well there are screws that hold the flare to the fender lip but then there is something else holding it on to the fender

would that method that you mentioned igbar also act as addition mounting support?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
yeah man i know what you mean, i have little pebbles wedged between mine right now and im scared i'll mess the paint up if i try to get them out, if you have a fix for this please do a write up because i am sure we aint the only ones with this issue.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
well there are screws that hold the flare to the fender lip but then there is something else holding it on to the fender

would that method that you mentioned igbar also act as addition mounting support?
I guess it depends on how you seal it.
You could attach and then fill the seams and smooth the excess.
this wouldn't help too much with the mounting but it would help a little. It would also make it easier to remove your flares in the future, if you wanted to.

Or you could smear the RTV on the mounting faces of the flare and fender and smooth out the squeeze-out. This would be a really strong bonding method for the flares. You probably would have kind of a hard time removing them if you wanted to--depending on what kind of RTV you use.

--also, keep in mind that you cannot paint silicone RTV without RTV primer.
just an FYI if you wanted to paint your truck in the future.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A couple of years ago we were all doing this mod.
The dealer has the flare gaskets in stock, and you need 4 left rear gaskets (the longest one). They also have the body color matching fake nuts. There's a push/lock fastener under the fake nuts that holds the flare on.
The only problem is they've jacked the price of the flare gaskets up to $40 each. It used to be $12 each. So I'd check J.C. Whitney for gaskets (they're just a generic, straight piece of rubber w/a channel that you form around the flare.
To do the job right you've gotta figure all day. If I had it to do over again, especially w/the ridiculous prices, I'd do what igbar was saying. Only I'd use black form a gasket and slick it w/a wet finger.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Pop out the fake nuts w/a small screwdriver and remove the push/lock fasteners. Remove a couple of bolts up under the front edge and 8 or 10 screws around the inside edge and mud flap. Remove the flare.
Give the dealer the best part of $170 for the gaskets and a pack of push/locks. Maybe a couple of color matched fake nuts.
I cleaned and waxed the fender underneath, installed the gaskets. Used a few drops of super glue here and there to help hold the gaskets. Reinstalled the flares. All day job to do it right.
Or, if you've got a steady hand, simply loosen the flare enough to get the rocks out, clean the gasket area (I use naptha), tighten the flare, and put a bead of (any color) form a gasket or silicone. Slick w/wet finger. Just like caulking a bathtub. Maybe mask the fender/flare first.
But I'd check J.C. Whitney or the like for a gasket. Off the top of my head you'll need about 20 feet. Something w/a channel.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I didn't go that deep into a fix. on the 03-04 models they have clear 3M protective tape under the flare. had the fenders fixed then installed Nissan part# 63878-9Z510 x2 it was under $10 from the dealer.
6 yrs later no problems i still get pebbels but no damage. i wash them out with the pressure washer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts