Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has used this gasket set? I am thinking about returning it and just using RTV around the whole pan...just wanted yall input on the matter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would stick the OEM call out of RTV. I have had bad luck in the past using gaskets on pans or valve covers when the OEM call out was for RTV. Torque specs are based on the use of RTV and using a formed gaskets is a guess most times and run the risk of either over or under tightening them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well if it's a v6 then the gasket set should come with a tube of rtv and 2 of the rubber half Moons and that's definitely something that you can't just fill in with rtv, they are about a half inch thick - one for the front and one for the rear. Is it a paper gasket?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
What engine? What Fel-pro gasket part number?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late reply guys, but I was busy with school and family stuff. The engine is a V6 3.3L Non SC and the Fel-Pro gasket number is #OS30591. The parts guys at Courtesy Nissan told me the techs just use RTV everywhere but I am not sure about the half moon area.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry for the late reply guys, but I was busy with school and family stuff. The engine is a V6 3.3L Non SC and the Fel-Pro gasket number is #OS30591. The parts guys at Courtesy Nissan told me the techs just use RTV everywhere but I am not sure about the half moon area.
A decent oil pan gasket set for the v6 should come with two half Moons and a tube of silicone, the silicone is for the whole pan to block itself and the half Moons go in the front and back of the pan

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
The "half-moons" are actually the oil pan, front and rear lip seals. You can't replace them with RTV. The Felpro kit you listed is good and will have the two lip seals and two small tubes of black RTV sealant. You need to install the lip seals onto the engine, not onto the oil pan. You can apply the sealant to the oil pan flange, which would be the way I would do it if you are working under the engine. If you had the engine on a stand and could rotate it 180 degrees, then I would install the RTV on the engine, itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "half-moons" are actually the oil pan, front and rear lip seals. You can't replace them with RTV. The Felpro kit you listed is good and will have the two lip seals and two small tubes of black RTV sealant. You need to install the lip seals onto the engine, not onto the oil pan. You can apply the sealant to the oil pan flange, which would be the way I would do it if you are working under the engine. If you had the engine on a stand and could rotate it 180 degrees, then I would install the RTV on the engine, itself.
Do I need to apply RTV where the oil pump and rear main seal plate meets the block? To be more specific, do I apply RTV at the both ends of the half-moons, both under it and on top of it? I am asking because when I look at diagram SEM894B (page EM-9 of the service manual) that what it looks like.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Yes, but within reason. You want it anywhere there's a seam or a bend, but you don't need to "glob it up," so to speak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts