Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up a 2006 CC frontier and its a great little truck. I am currently going over the truck and replacing things that need to be done. I believe my fan clutch is toast because it is crazy loud and never seems to disengage. After reading that it is somewhat common i decided to just replace it.

This is the one i bought but havent installed yet.

After ordering it i read some reviews saying the "Heavy Duty" one that i bought wont work well with our trucks and it will be just as noisey as it is now. Can anybody chime in on this issue before i tear it apart for the install? Will this be ok or should i just return it without even trying and get another OEM one? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine went out a few years ago as well, same symptoms, sounded like a Mack truck.

I replaced with OEM part. If I recall it was roughly $150 from Courtesy Parts.

I've heard mixed things on aftermarket fan clutches and how long they last. Personally I'd stick to oem knowing I'll get another 9 or 10 yrs out of it, rather than have to replace it again in 3 or 4 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Avoid the aftermarket fan clutches on Nissans; they have a poor track record. There are some things you can go with on the aftermarket, but there are a lot of parts that is it best to stick with genuine Nissan or the original equipment supplier of those parts to Nissan (brands like Hitachi, Aisin, NGK, KYB, Bando, Akebono). Some of the parts that are best to go with genuine Nissan include ignition parts (distributors and their parts, cam/crank sensors, plugs/wires), starters and alternators, drive belts, fuel pumps, thermostats and, as mentioned, fan clutches.

·
Super Moderator
19,979 Posts
Avoid the aftermarket fan clutches on Nissans; they have a poor track record. There are some things you can go with on the aftermarket, but there are a lot of parts that is it best to stick with genuine Nissan or the original equipment supplier of those parts to Nissan (brands like Hitachi, Aisin, NGK, KYB, Bando, Akebono). Some of the parts that are best to go with genuine Nissan include ignition parts (distributors and their parts, cam/crank sensors, plugs/wires), starters and alternators, drive belts, fuel pumps, thermostats and, as mentioned, fan clutches.
I agree with that except I replaced my OEM serpentine belt with a Goodyear Gatorback belt and it has performed well.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
On the older Nissans (the ones with mechanical adjustments), a lot of the aftermarket belts (Dayco being one of them) were usually a little bigger than the genuine Nissan belts. Bando, who makes a lot of Nissan belts, always fit perfect.
On the VQ40DE, if you go aftermarket, you want to make sure you get the updated belt size, which is a little smaller than the original belt and causes the self-tensioner to put a little more tension on the belt to correct the belt squeak issues of the early 4.0L engines. Gates refers to it as the "enhancement kit." The difference in length between the original belt and the updated (or "enhanced") belt is about 0.6 inch.

Reactions: jan

·
Super Moderator
19,979 Posts
On the older Nissans (the ones with mechanical adjustments), a lot of the aftermarket belts (Dayco being one of them) were usually a little bigger than the genuine Nissan belts. Bando, who makes a lot of Nissan belts, always fit perfect.
On the VQ40DE, if you go aftermarket, you want to make sure you get the updated belt size, which is a little smaller than the original belt and causes the self-tensioner to put a little more tension on the belt to correct the belt squeak issues of the early 4.0L engines. Gates refers to it as the "enhancement kit." The difference in length between the original belt and the updated (or "enhanced") belt is about 0.6 inch.
I didn't pay any attention to the belt size when I bought it. I'm still on the original belt tensioner and never had any squeal. I used OEM belts on my other Nissans with the manual tensioners. if the new belts squealed at all, it was because they were not tight enough and easily remedied.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow great info guys, thanks alot. I decided to take everyones advice and just buy the oem clutch. I will return the other one as soon as it gets to my house. I dont feel like doing it twice.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Different model of Frontier. Replaced the fan clutch on my 1998 Frontier 4 years ago (at like 180K miles) with lifetime warranty unit from O'Reilly. I just replaced mine (at 220K), think the heat kills them (Arizona) - mine just failed the rolled up newspaper test, and one could see the fan blade turning slower than it should.

I've had to replace the fan clutch about every six years on my 1988 Mazda truck, that's a Hayden unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts