Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have heard that the Northeast has be deluged with wind and rain this weekend. It was at a peak last night when I found myself on a road that had many fallen trees. The traffic was backed up for several miles. As I approached the front of the line, a man ran up to me and asked if I could move a very large tree branch that was blocking the road. I said OK.

As I approached the branch, another truck (2WD) was making an attempt. No movement. I then positioned my Nismo to be hooked up. Using 4Lo, I tried to move the branch. It was not too big, so it seem reasonable. Upon launch, I make great headway. But it was only an illusion since the branch was firmly trapped in a median barrier. The branch acted like a big rubber band and when I reached the critical point, its return force picked up my back end. With no traction, nothing could be done. I had done no better than the 2WD. Fail.

The people managing the pull said it was more due to the way the branch was trapped.

No, I do not think a Titan would have done better.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You may have heard that the Northeast has be deluged with wind and rain this weekend. It was at a peak last night when I found myself on a road that had many fallen trees. The traffic was backed up for several miles. As I approached the front of the line, a man ran up to me and asked if I could move a very large tree branch that was blocking the road. I said OK.

As I approached the branch, another truck (2WD) was making an attempt. No movement. I then positioned my Nismo to be hooked up. Using 4Lo, I tried to move the branch. It was not too big, so it seem reasonable. Upon launch, I make great headway. But it was only an illusion since the branch was firmly trapped in a median barrier. The branch acted like a big rubber band and when I reached the critical point, its return force picked up my back end. With no traction, nothing could be done. I had done no better than the 2WD. Fail.

The people managing the pull said it was more due to the way the branch was trapped.

No, I do not think a Titan would have done better.
:thatswck: sounds like the people that needed you to pull out the tree did not really have everything figured out. is your truck ok?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thatswck: sounds like the people that needed you to pull out the tree did not really have everything figured out. is your truck ok?
Well, after I was unhooked, I needed to turn around. But the tranny was still in 4Lo, despite the switch setting. My transfer case got a workout. Otherwise, no damage.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Could have been worse. The log could have snapped and sent a big piece into the front end of your truck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
At least you tried! Yes, it would have been better if you saved the day and left a hero, but Mother Nature had a plan this w/e. I have a sideways tree due to said storm. Should I yank it with the tow hook in the front or use the hitch receiver in the back? It's a small pine-type tree - no more than 9 feet tall.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you didn't maybe look and see the entire object you were trying to move was caught on something?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you didn't maybe look and see the entire object you were trying to move was caught on something?
No, there were at least 6 men around the branch who were working the problem for a while. I relied on them to set up the pull. Keep in mind that the highway was backed up for miles so the "best pull" strategy was probably already debated and settled on.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yeah - thank god nothing but a good bit of rain - no 65mph winds up in the hartford area, but def in the 40's!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I bet, if you had a much, much longer chain.....and had, say 35mph of speed when you ran out of slack.... I bet something would have given in! Hahahaha J/K, J/K!

A for effort tho!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
yeah - thank god nothing but a good bit of rain - no 65mph winds up in the hartford area, but def in the 40's!
Y'all should take a jaunt down to Southern Fairfield County... Looks like a war zone. Thank God we didn't get it in Danbury either but man, Stamford, Norwalk, Greenwich got tattooed.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yeah - friend of mine lives in stamford... I think he just got his power back on this morning... crazyness!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.