Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any of you guys replaced the factory tie down points? I dont like how they are open eye bolts. My ratchet straps always fall out when I am trying to tighten them.

Chad

·
Registered
890 Posts
totally agree, they SUCK, ive been meaning to add some other stuff in there but i havnt gotten around to it, for lighter stuff those universal utilitrack type of rails are pretty cool, i dunno if id tust them for a bike or something though

·
Registered
824 Posts
When I had mine I just welded them closed. You can also get larger ones and weld them closed as well if they aren't big enough.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just turned mine so they are open at the top instead of the bottom.
I wonder if there is a nut welded on the inside. I assume it is metric but I could use a lifting eye to thread in to it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got them in today. Looks good.

8MM with a 1.25 thread pitch.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No it was easy. Th hard part was removing the old eye bolts. Simply break them loose with vice grips. Make sure the new ones fit and clean off the threads with thinner. I painted mine and put LocTite on them. For some reason the rear points tightened down and they eye was vertical but the fron they eye laid horizontal. No big deal though. I just put the loc-tite on and tighten them down with a screw driver through the hole.

Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 from Loctite Adhesives

This is what I used and you should be able to find it at any hardware store. I have ties several things down and they have yet to break loose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got mine on Ebay pack of 5 for $5. They also have them in stainless for around $11 for a two pack. Here is the link to their store, just put 8mm in the search box and it will pull up what they have. For $5 I love mine!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Dang so I'm not the only one who has shitty tie down hooks. Had my bike thrown in the back with a cable, Pulled right out no prob. Put an eye bolt through the floor. When I moved I tied to the frame.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
125 Posts
I drilled holes through the bed and added my own eye-bolts.

One in the center of the front edge of the bed, one in each front corner of the bed. Then one on each side just in front of the wheel well, one on top of each wheel well, one just behind each wheel well, and one in each back corner of the bed.

I started with an eye bolt, and threaded a nut all the way down. Then a washer, then a fender washer (to distribute the force, and not rip the bolt out) then put it through the hole in the bed. Then underneath, another fender washer, another regular washer, and a locknut with a nylon insert.

I've tied down two motorcycles at a time. I tied one bike down and drove cross-country. I have hauled lumber, steel, and all kinds of debris. I ratchet the straps down as tight as I can, and I've never had anything come loose. It's been about 2 years now.

The factory tiedown points are useless, indeed.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I drilled holes through the bed and added my own eye-bolts.

One in the center of the front edge of the bed, one in each front corner of the bed. Then one on each side just in front of the wheel well, one on top of each wheel well, one just behind each wheel well, and one in each back corner of the bed.

I started with an eye bolt, and threaded a nut all the way down. Then a washer, then a fender washer (to distribute the force, and not rip the bolt out) then put it through the hole in the bed. Then underneath, another fender washer, another regular washer, and a locknut with a nylon insert.

I've tied down two motorcycles at a time. I tied one bike down and drove cross-country. I have hauled lumber, steel, and all kinds of debris. I ratchet the straps down as tight as I can, and I've never had anything come loose. It's been about 2 years now.

The factory tiedown points are useless, indeed.
I would really like to see pictures so I can get some ideas on how I am going to do mine. I have a factory drop in bed liner. I considered pulling it out and welding some down and getting a spray in but I dont want to shell out the cash for a spray in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can't take a picture of the whole inside of the bed right now, because it's full of tree branches. But I got a photo of one of the eye bolts.

The nut on top is key. The threads don't go all the way up the shaft of the eyebolt, so that nut allows you to get things fully tightened. Even if you had an eyebolt with threads that went all the way up to the bottom of the eye, when you tried to tighten things down, it would buckle the washer, and the washer would start to look like a taco shell.

Hopefully, I've gotten the photo posted properly. I've never tried to post a photo on this forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts