Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 SV with stock head unit.

So it's recently been pretty cold here, -20°C to -35°C and the factory head unit does not function when I start up. Very minimal cranking on startup so I know that the battery is OK. Once warmed up the radio only works if I turn it off and restart it.

I'm going to assume (since searching the forum turned up no results) that this is not a common issue. I'm also going to guess that it is likely a poor connection that due to the cold and wires connections contracting I'm losing a connection until warm.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any good starting points to start to diagnose the issue. I also don't have a garage so getting a chance to actually work on this may not be possible in the immediate.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this link. Didn't show up when I was searching with cold or cold weather since this is what I was thinking was the cause. I'll check this out!

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
My OEM RF does or did the same thing. It has happened twice now. Once 2 winters ago and once last winter. I typically park in the garage so it is not an issue but sometimes I am using the garage and need to park outside overnight for a week or so. The first time it happened I lost the display for a week. Everything worked though. The 2nd time I lost the ability to control the volume. Would go super loud and stay there. Had to shut off the stereo. I feel like it is not only due to the cold but moisture. I ski so there is often wet clothes, boots and melt snow in the cab. I drive around with the heat blasting and the inside of the truck is like a sauna. The moisture then freezes on the circuit board and causes issues.

I said that the next time this happened I would get a fancy double DIN stereo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts