Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,
So I've seen a bunch of frontiers rolling around town with those factory roof racks and I want to put them on my truck. My truck didn't come with them, so I'll have to purchase and install them myself. Has anybody else done this? Is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I’m almost 100% sure that from the factory they are bolted through the roof, so you’d have to pull the head liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am also interested in this, so I called the service department at my local dealer and this is what the guy told me...if your frontier was not factory fit with a roof rack then your truck does not have a reinforced roof that will hold any type of load worth putting one on, other than for looks...is he right...I'm not sure, maybe someone else can chime in with more info or if this is correct. He also said the best option would be an aftermarket like Thule, rhinorack etc...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I added an aftermarket roof rack. It came with the reinforcement plates for inside the roof. Rated at 150 lbs with plates. It also comes with nutserts to install without the plates rated at 125 lbs. I installed mine for looks only and found an all black one on Amazon for $169 delivered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added an aftermarket roof rack. It came with the reinforcement plates for inside the roof. Rated at 150 lbs with plates. It also comes with nutserts to install without the plates rated at 125 lbs. I installed mine for looks only and found an all black one on Amazon for $169 delivered. View attachment 311084
Looks awesome! How would you rate the install? Fairly easy?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The directions are horrible for assembly. I had put it together and taken apart and back together probably at least twice before I figured out where everything went. One tip is use the longest of the crossbars up front, that is where it goes. Fully assemble the unit and place it on your roof with the front crossbar in place where you're going to want it. Mine is even with the b-pillar just about between the front and rear door. Measure a million times and eyeball location. I used the nutserts, since I was only really putting it on for looks. I honestly think it's kind of high for loading things on and off, especially once you load a basket on top of it. Everything I read, it's a pain in the butt to put the plates inside the roof and since the directions are so horrible it would almost be a guessing game as to where they go inside the roof. There are some mounting bolts in the roof for the side airbags that are used for part of the mounting of the inside brackets. You would need to pull your headliner and both those brackets in place first and then take a small drill and drill in the middle of the holes that would locate for the roof rack through the roof of the truck. Then I would probably use a unibit to drill from the outside down so there's no bur. Dennis just a matter of having the roof rack lineup on the holes and you will use the nuts and bolts they give you to mount it. I would still fully silicone all mounting holes to prevent leaks. It took me about two hours to assemble the roof rack and probably another good two hours to mount it including measuring and drilling.
Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the factory roof rack and often wonder why the weight limit is so low. I don't trust it to have a roof top tent on it or anything like that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
150#. Possibly due to weak crossmembers. The bolted on bars seem to be stronger than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More than likely it's due to the brackets that are used inside the roof. Simalar brackets that come with the aftermarket rack.
thanks for everything man. after the holidays gonna order me a set and give it a shot.

side note, do you have 33's on your truck?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just added a rack. Came with nice brackets for the inside. Pulled the headliner to complete installation. It wasn't bad. No instructions what so ever but I didnt find it that difficult at all. It seems to be very sturdy. I wouldn't listen to everything the dealership says

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just added a rack. Came with nice brackets for the inside. Pulled the headliner to complete installation. It wasn't bad. No instructions what so ever but I didnt find it that difficult at all. It seems to be very sturdy. I wouldn't listen to everything the dealership says
View attachment 312209
looks awesome man. Good to hear installation wasn't a monster. What size tires are you running? Truck looks clean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts