Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Reading this I’m wondering if you can work out a new type of tire for me too since all this work is kinda pointless when there’s great aftermarket products likely at a fraction of the cost. I’m on my third head until with CarPlay in my truck and just last week put one in my wife’s Prius. (Toyota’s are notoriously PITA for adapting aftermarket head units but there’s kits aplenty.) I’d never go to Nissan for something like this.

But I guess that’s why there’s chocolate, vanilla, and raw cream to make your own flavor.
To each their own. Glad you've found success with aftermarket units you like.

Nissan has some goodies for our trucks though that are factory from other donor models. Vk swap, Titan suspension swap, Z brake upgrade, and more.

I've got a plan in the works to add push button start once I can nab the steering column lock module off a 2020 frontier.

·
Registered
503 Posts
To each their own. Glad you've found success with aftermarket units you like.

Nissan has some goodies for our trucks though that are factory from other donor models. Vk swap, Titan suspension swap, Z brake upgrade, and more.

I've got a plan in the works to add push button start once I can nab the steering column lock module off a 2020 frontier.
I love the tailgate cap on the newer trucks. I have also adapted to being midnight. But the mechanical items and aesthetic items are a different story. An OEM head unit is just an adapted brand name unit with a premium price and peculiarities that intentionally make it difficult to traverse into vehicles it wasn’t intended for. I simply don’t see the point paying through the nose for a Nissan branded Panasonic unit when there’s perfectly suitable Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer and others for far less $.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I love the tailgate cap on the newer trucks. I have also adapted to being midnight. But the mechanical items and aesthetic items are a different story. An OEM head unit is just an adapted brand name unit with a premium price and peculiarities that intentionally make it difficult to traverse into vehicles it wasn’t intended for. I simply don’t see the point paying through the nose for a Nissan branded Panasonic unit when there’s perfectly suitable Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer and others for far less $.
Good perspective, I respect it.

I do agree that the manufacturers make it difficult on purpose. Why not make a factory V8 Frontier? ...because they want you to buy a Titan. Why not put an advanced Infotainment system in a budget mid-size truck? ...because they want you to spend more on a diff model or look at an Infinity SUV. Why not put this in a base trim Sentra? ...because they can get you to upgrade to a higher trim model. They are smart, I'll give them the credit they deserve for the marketing ploy.

I do think though that long term the aftermarket options will become bleaker. Ever since the 2010's? Chrysler 300 came out and began integrating features of the BCM into the head unit, the trajectory has been set. Car alarm and audio shops have dried up compared to what they once were. The radio/receiver, called "controller" by Nissan, is one of the main computers on the car. This computer will increasingly become more customized and integrated with the other computers in the car. Many cars now exclusively have climate control systems through the head unit / controller. It's not a bad thing necessarily. My wife's Lexus has option for Mark Levinson sound system, it sounds great. This Bosch unit runs a linux port and seems to be a fairly well built controller (If I could only jailbreak it, it would open large doors, but alas my penetration testing on it has not gone well. They've employed some strong security measures like certificate pinning which has prevented me from hacking it).

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next-gen 2021 Frontier. If you look at the Navara there is a strong tie to the combination meter display for menu options and display output from the head unit. In the Benz X-Class there is even more discomfort as a standard aftermarket unit would be awkward to sit in the same orientation as the stock unit.

I'd say we should learn up as much as possible on how these units work so we have options (stock and aftermarket) in the future :)

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
iDatalink (Maestro) has helped bridge the gap(s) toward integration of the complicated interfacing scenarios. Our archaic trucks are not even close to some other manufacturers' models that use the touchscreen for controlling HVAC, for example. I love my Maestro's ability to display OBD data in 2 changeable 5-gauage clusters right on my Kenwood head unit. Pretty cool methinks.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yeah.... our h/u even with RF package sucks.... I DID pay for the upgraded SD card with updated maps.... which actually is really helpful here in SF/CA as there are new streets and construction 24/7.... ONE THING THOUGH I WILL SAY..... is when i'm out in the middle of Tahoe National Forest with no xm or cell signal... the GPS on our trucks STILL WORKS...even on the dirt roads which i think is REALLY cool and helpful .... i couldn't believe that the GPS has the Western States Trail from Squaw Valley to Auburn.... fwiw.... was thinking too WHY don't we have the bigger screen like all the other Nissan's when we paid for the fully loaded one.... sighs....

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
We're straying away from the original topic, but who cares we're having an interesting discussion - and you seem like a reasonable guy to converse with... so OKAY LET'S GO:

I do agree that the manufacturers make it difficult on purpose. Why not make a factory V8 Frontier? ...because they want you to buy a Titan. Why not put an advanced Infotainment system in a budget mid-size truck? ...because they want you to spend more on a diff model or look at an Infinity SUV. Why not put this in a base trim Sentra? ...because they can get you to upgrade to a higher trim model. They are smart, I'll give them the credit they deserve for the marketing ploy.
"Why not make a factory V8 Frontier?"
Because they don't have to, because there is no mainstream demand, and because the Frontier has been selling well as is. They've sold the Frontier for 16 years now with the same 4.0L V6 and essentially the same body and trim (aside from the mild refresh in 2009+). They've sold this truck for this long because people are still buying them equipped the way they have been since 2004. If there was any demand for a V8 Frontier (actual market demand, not niche enthusiast demand) I'm pretty sure they would have done it by now.

"Why not put an advanced infotainment system in a budget mid-sized truck?"
Because... it's a budget midsized truck with a budget mid-sized truck price, and this a budget mid-sized equipment list to go along with it. There's a distinct difference between a "budget midsized truck" and a current luxury-equipped "Infiniti SUV." aside from just the obvious price difference. They are simply for different audiences, thus they are equipped differently.

"Why not put this in a base trim Sentra?"
Because it's a BASE TRIM SENTRA.

BASE.

As in "At this price, you're not getting high tech" :D

That's the whole point. If you want premium features, you have to move up to the premium models. All of the above has nothing to do with "marketing ploys" - it's simply called having different model tiers for different audiences who can or can't afford certain features. Pay to play. Earn it or yearn it. LOL :)

I simply don’t see the point paying through the nose for a Nissan branded Panasonic unit when there’s perfectly suitable Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer and others for far less $.
Don't forget, it's a used Nissan-branded head unit.
I do applaud that the OP put the work and effort and time into figuring out how to get a late-model Nissan Sentra head unit (with CarPlay/AA) to wire up to a Nissan Frontier. From what was shown already, this wasn't just a matter of looking at some wiring diagrams and swapping a few wires to the right pins. This was an advanced project for sure. I engage in a lot of tinkering too, and I know it can go from a hobby to an obsession in the blink of an eye after hours and hours of testing and troubleshooting to get something to work how you want it to. But after all is said and done, was it really worth it? I still feel like it's not. Not when there's established, easier to do, more reliable ways to get Carplay/AA. So that just leaves the whole "it's an OEM head unit" reason.

I'm not feeling the "effort expended vs. performance improvement ratio here 🙃

when i'm out in the middle of Tahoe National Forest with no xm or cell signal... the GPS on our trucks STILL WORKS...even on the dirt roads which i think is REALLY cool and helpful
Yep. One can get far into the mountains or desert but still have working live navigation and streaming music thanks to native GPS and XM. :cool:

·
Registered
582 Posts
if I"m headed to the mountains or the desert I know that the built-in Garmin sat-nav will always work when my phone reception drops in and out. (y)
Heck I use a stand-alone GPS as my primary nav. Even though my phone is more than capable of being used as a nav system, I don't want to rely solely on one device. Because you know when your phone is going to crash or freeze? When you're navigating unfamiliar surface streets with a lot of turns, or when the next opportunity to turn around is 10 miles down the road.

My stand-alone also gives me more pertinent information, like grades, curves, mile markers, overhead clearances, and weight limits on roads. It's a Garmin Dezl that's geared toward truck drivers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
"Why not make a factory V8 Frontier?"
Because they don't have to, because there is no mainstream demand, and because the Frontier has been selling well as is. They've sold the Frontier for 16 years now with the same 4.0L V6 and essentially the same body and trim (aside from the mild refresh in 2009+). They've sold this truck for this long because people are still buying them equipped the way they have been since 2004. If there was any demand for a V8 Frontier (actual market demand, not niche enthusiast demand) I'm pretty sure they would have done it by now.
I've got 3 mid-size V8 4wd/awd vehicles. 06 4Runner, 15 GX460, and now 16 Frontier. There is demand with towing, crawling, etc. but CAFE standards make it hard for manufacturers. Check out the prices on the v8 4runners or v8 pathfinders, kinda silly high due to demand and rarity.

A few other manufacturers had a v8 in their mid-size truck at some point. Dakota, Colorado, etc. If you've been around a while, hot-rodding mags used to regularly cover V8 swaps for rangers and S10's. A lot of the interest stems from the 70's-80's when trucks were as fast / faster than most cars due to govt restrictions. I guess those drivers have gotten old and need to stick to the right lane :) The fast factory trucks used to have neat names too like Lightning and Syclone.

Hard to say if people would buy it if it was offered, but certainly engine diversity has been interesting in other trucks like the #1 selling F-150 offering the Eco-blows and coyote. I'd buy a tacoma tomorrow if it had the 5.7L in it, but they are absolute dogs with their v6 and you have to put the pedal down 110% to build any rpm for power.

I'm just glad to see that Nissan went with the 3.8L v6 and didn't turbo the 4 for 2020+

·
Registered
503 Posts
One can get far into the mountains or desert but still have working live navigation and streaming music thanks to native GPS and XM. :cool:
Used head unit or not.... As I mentioned above, I like the larger winglike tailgate cap on the newer Frontiers so I went to the salvage yard database to find some wrecked late model Frontiers with the wing. They want $150 for the two pieces! Not much difference from the cost new, so I suspect that late model CarPlay head unit out of a Sentra is still considerably more expensive than a new JVC. I just bought one for $250 plus $50 for adapters and misc for a Toyota. Along the same line, someone here recently was talking about putting a factory GPS head unit. Yikes! First, why when you can do CarPlay or Android Auto. Second, I had one in a Murano. $200 a year for map updates.

I’m amused by the obsession of installing upgrades stamped NISSAN.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Used head unit or not.... As I mentioned above, I like the larger winglike tailgate cap on the newer Frontiers so I went to the salvage yard database to find some wrecked late model Frontiers with the wing. They want $150 for the two pieces! Not much difference from the cost new, so I suspect that late model CarPlay head unit out of a Sentra is still considerably more expensive than a new JVC. I just bought one for $250 plus $50 for adapters and misc for a Toyota. Along the same line, someone here recently was talking about putting a factory GPS head unit. Yikes! First, why when you can do CarPlay or Android Auto. Second, I had one in a Murano. $200 a year for map updates.

EDIT ...wrong link

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've got 3 mid-size V8 4wd/awd vehicles. 06 4Runner, 15 GX460, and now 16 Frontier. There is demand with towing, crawling, etc. but CAFE standards make it hard for manufacturers. Check out the prices on the v8 4runners or v8 pathfinders, kinda silly high due to demand and rarity.

A few other manufacturers had a v8 in their mid-size truck at some point. Dakota, Colorado, etc. If you've been around a while, hot-rodding mags used to regularly cover V8 swaps for rangers and S10's. A lot of the interest stems from the 70's-80's when trucks were as fast / faster than most cars due to govt restrictions. I guess those drivers have gotten old and need to stick to the right lane :) The fast factory trucks used to have neat names too like Lightning and Syclone.

Hard to say if people would buy it if it was offered, but certainly engine diversity has been interesting in other trucks like the #1 selling F-150 offering the Eco-blows and coyote. I'd buy a tacoma tomorrow if it had the 5.7L in it, but they are absolute dogs with their v6 and you have to put the pedal down 110% to build any rpm for power.

I'm just glad to see that Nissan went with the 3.8L v6 and didn't turbo the 4 for 2020+
I had a V8 Dakota. Loved that truck. In fact I bought the Frontier because it was designed most similar to it. I just was terminated afraid of the tranny issues and the heater never worked from new.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Well, one thing's for sure - this thread made my usual boring work-from-home Friday not that boring (y)

I never said other brands had mid-sized V8's offered at some point. What I said was there's no mainstream demand like you might think there is. What and how many you own is trivial, it just shows what you prefer.

You mentioned V8 truck swaps... that's not factory discussion any more - that's aftermarket (even if it's OEM parts being swapped in). "Hot Rodding", "Car Tuning" is still and always be a niche aftermarket industry thing - not a mainstream thing that everyone who goes to a dealership is looking for. The closest it got to the mainstream was the heyday late 90's-early 2000's. The Fast and the Furious years. The age of APC Altezza taillamps 🤡 LOL

But going back to the fact that only hobbyist tuners would decide to swap in a V8 because there is no standard V8 option from the dealer lot just tells you how "popular" that vehicle equipped with a V8 really wasn't to the mass market, thus no demand to sell one equipped with a V8 from the factory.

3rd... you brought up the Syclone. One of my favorite vehicles of all time... the legendary 348 killer, and a super niche not-for-the-mainstream product! Such an awesome machine to drive (I couldn't believe I was driving a 4-speed automatic pickup truck this fast LOL), yet zero practicality thanks to the "show not go" suspension parts they had to fit it with...and just to poke you with a stick, that wasn't even a V8 :p

Not sure how that relates to what you quoted from me... for clarity, when I said "native GPS/XM" I was referring to having it built-into the head unit (aftermarket, not OEM Nissan)... as opposed to having a head unit dependent on an outboard secondary device. Is that what you were replying to?

Your amusement probably mirrors my amusement of those back in the day who were so obsessed with "JDM" parts upgrades, not realizing that their "JDM" was in reality just OEM somewhere else in the world. LOL :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well, one thing's for sure - this thread made my usual boring work-from-home Friday not that boring (y)

I never said other brands had mid-sized V8's offered at some point. What I said was there's no mainstream demand like you might think there is. What and how many you own is trivial, it just shows what you prefer.

You mentioned V8 truck swaps... that's not factory discussion any more - that's aftermarket (even if it's OEM parts being swapped in). "Hot Rodding", "Car Tuning" is still and always be a niche aftermarket industry thing - not a mainstream thing that everyone who goes to a dealership is looking for. The closest it got to the mainstream was the heyday late 90's-early 2000's. The Fast and the Furious years. The age of APC Altezza taillamps 🤡 LOL

But going back to the fact that only hobbyist tuners would decide to swap in a V8 because there is no standard V8 option from the dealer lot just tells you how "popular" that vehicle equipped with a V8 really wasn't to the mass market, thus no demand to sell one equipped with a V8 from the factory.

3rd... you brought up the Syclone. One of my favorite vehicles of all time... the legendary 348 killer, and a super niche not-for-the-mainstream product! Such an awesome machine to drive (I couldn't believe I was driving a 4-speed automatic pickup truck this fast LOL), yet zero practicality thanks to the "show not go" suspension parts they had to fit it with...and just to poke you with a stick, that wasn't even a V8 :p

Not sure how that relates to what you quoted from me... for clarity, when I said "native GPS/XM" I was referring to having it built-into the head unit (aftermarket, not OEM Nissan)... as opposed to having a head unit dependent on an outboard secondary device. Is that what you were replying to?

Your amusement probably mirrors my amusement of those back in the day who were so obsessed with "JDM" parts upgrades, not realizing that their "JDM" was in reality just OEM somewhere else in the world. LOL :ROFLMAO:
My amusement is like...gotta get OEM fog lights (that will get used 5 days a year) for $200 when there’s a literal ton of aftermarket knockoffs that look exactly the same, using the same existing harness, and, in my case, will burn the same switchback LED. I wonder where they think those OEM parts come from... Yes, China...just like the knockoffs.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
My amusement is like...gotta get OEM fog lights (that will get used 5 days a year) for $200 when there’s a literal ton of aftermarket knockoffs that look exactly the same, using the same existing harness, and, in my case, will burn the same switchback LED. I wonder where they think those OEM parts come from... Yes, China...just like the knockoffs.
Oh... not the "made in China" stereotype again hahah

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Oh... not the "made in China" stereotype again hahah
PS, I just bought what I assumed was a knockoff turn signal switch direct from China. It showed up complete with Nissan label and p/n. $78 vs around $175 from Nissan.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
PS, I just bought what I assumed was a knockoff turn signal switch direct from China. It showed up complete with Nissan label and p/n. $78 vs around $175 from Nissan.
So what you're saying is... the shady factories can make fake copy clones of Nissan OEM fog lamps... but they can't print a fake copy clone of a label with a Nissan OEM part number printed on it? :)

Labels don't mean a thing - any factory can print or reprint high-quality OEM exact labels, UL standard labels, ROHS labels, etc. to add to the appearance of authenticity to lure shoppers to buy their products.

A lot of the general public's perception of "look it's the same part without the brand name and it costs less, but it's made in the same factory so it's just as good" is completely backwards - that's not how it works. The reality is, even if the aftermarket part is made in the same factory as the brand name, the aftermarket part costs less because it doesn't have to reach any of the standards and QC and safety regulations of the brand name.

Example: the company I work for resells some specific tools that are manufactured in the same factory as name brand tools and off-brand knock-offs. In fact that particular factory makes 5 different identical-looking versions of the same tool (but each version is built differently with different materials and tolerances), and as a reseller, all we have to do is choose which of the remaining 4 versions we want to sell (because the not available 5th version is the brand name, branded and sold through official channels highest quality version). (y)

The cheapest versions of brand name goods are just made to LOOK like the brand name product, because for many people that's all that matters, and they will buy it. :cool:

·
Registered
503 Posts
So what you're saying is... the shady factories can make fake copy clones of Nissan OEM fog lamps... but they can't print a fake copy clone of a label with a Nissan OEM part number printed on it? :)

Labels don't mean a thing - any factory can print or reprint high-quality OEM exact labels, UL standard labels, ROHS labels, etc. to add to the appearance of authenticity to lure shoppers to buy their products.

A lot of the general public's perception of "look it's the same part without the brand name and it costs less, but it's made in the same factory so it's just as good" is completely backwards - that's not how it works. The reality is, even if the aftermarket part is made in the same factory as the brand name, the aftermarket part costs less because it doesn't have to reach any of the standards and QC and safety regulations of the brand name.

Example: the company I work for resells some specific tools that are manufactured in the same factory as name brand tools and off-brand knock-offs. In fact that particular factory makes 5 different identical-looking versions of the same tool (but each version is built differently with different materials and tolerances), and as a reseller, all we have to do is choose which of the remaining 4 versions we want to sell (because the not available 5th version is the brand name, branded and sold through official channels highest quality version). (y)

The cheapest versions of brand name goods are just made to LOOK like the brand name product, because for many people that's all that matters, and they will buy it. :cool:
Where do you think Nissan, Toyota, Ford, get their parts? The same place. Besides, I couldn’t care less if they’re knockoffs or gray market. I was in the IT business, I know all about back door markets, how stuff gets there and why the big boys do nothing about it. I used to buy intel processors that went from California to Indonesia, to China, and back to the US east coast and the landed price was half of what Intel was charging me direct in the states.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts