Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would install an after market Nav unit only to learn that I would lose my sonar and factory back-up camera, would have to splice a bunch or wires to retain my steering wheel controls and would have to mount a new mic and gps antenna.

Has anyone ever purchased a Nissan GPS straight from the factory and put it in a non-gps vehicle? I am wondering if this way would be plug and play. I don’t want to cut all these damn wires.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
If you mean "Sonar" as in the back-up distance beeping sensors, that isn't part of the head unit. You won't "lose" it, mine works even with the head unit completely out of the truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean "Sonar" as in the back-up distance beeping sensors, that isn't part of the head unit. You won't "lose" it, mine works even with the head unit completely out of the truck.

Exactly what I meant, Raine. IDK, there is this wire that I would have to splice to my emergency brake (according to Crutchfield) and if I didn’t they said I would lose the functionality ?????. But all the other stuff still prompted me to return it and seek other means of Navigation.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
Generally if there's a wire to connect to the e-brake, 99.9% it's for using the video/nav - it's meant to make you have to be in park with the e-brake up before using the screen, for safety purposes. However on most head units (save for some Pioneers) you can just ground this wire and you'll have access to those functions even while driving. You don't "lose" functionality, it's just a safety feature for liability purposes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
OP, Have you used a factory nav unit? I had one in my ‘15 and rarely used it. I found using the GPS on my phone through the Bluetooth connection was the quickest/easiest way to use GPS. Plus you will need to pay for updates. It shouldn’t be that complicated to install an Android/ApplePlay HU especially from crutchfield. Don’t they have adaptors for steering wheel controls and backup cameras? Like Raine said, sonar should be independent of the HU. Plus the factory HU will have inferior sound to almost any aftermarket HU.

My .02

·
Registered
31 Posts
OP, Have you used a factory nav unit? I had one in my ‘15 and rarely used it. I found using the GPS on my phone through the Bluetooth connection was the quickest/easiest way to use GPS. Plus you will need to pay for updates. It shouldn’t be that complicated to install an Android/ApplePlay HU especially from crutchfield. Don’t they have adaptors for steering wheel controls and backup cameras? Like Raine said, sonar should be independent of the HU. Plus the factory HU will have inferior sound to almost any aftermarket HU.

My .02
Gott agree with you here... After making the swap... The factory Nav isn't terrible but it isn't mind blowing. The sound quality the same as the non nav unit. I swapped my head unit for a factory nav so it would look stock... but I could have achieved the exact same thing by just adding a factory backup camera cause I never use the factory nav.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the input and will take it all into consideration.

I stalling those tweeters was a real pain in the ***!

Had to fashion my own bracket - have a look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stalling those tweeters was a real pain in the ***!
Had to fashion my own bracket - have a look.
Oh c'mon, it wasn't that hard... reminds me of how I installed my old Image Dynamics components:

Full Audio Upgrade, part 4 – Installing the Main Stage (02.29.15)

You are right - although I did it without using a drill and only a blade for the saw sans handle.

All my tools are in Florida! A fine place for then when you need then in Delaware. That is why it looks like crap and took me so long! But you cannot see then anyway - thank the lord.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
You are right - although I did it without using a drill and only a blade for the saw sans handle.

All my tools are in Florida! A fine place for then when you need then in Delaware. That is why it looks like crap and took me so long! But you cannot see then anyway - thank the lord.
Haha you know what they say about "having the right tools for the job" ::grin::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts