Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know if other Garmin Nuvi models besides the 750 and 760 will fit the factory Garmin Mount?

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
They may fit but not all play out the speakers.
The 750 that came with my truck has software with Nissan and Infiniti information pre loaded.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that they have pre-loaded S/W, but I thought it was only for safety reasons. I know Nissan makes Garmin put special S/W which prevents users from inputting data while the vehicle is moving, but I wonder if other non-Nissan Garmins will work same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know that they have pre-loaded S/W, but I thought it was only for safety reasons. I know Nissan makes Garmin put special S/W which prevents users from inputting data while the vehicle is moving, but I wonder if other non-Nissan Garmins will work same.
I installed a Garmin Nuvi 760 in the unit I just purchased. I can still input data while moving (which I seldom do because it isn't safe LOL)

I also like the fact that since you tap into the switched power on the radio you dont have to worry about the unit staying on like if it was plugged into the constant on 12V power source provided in our dash.

The speaker issue is a mute (no pun intended) point since the Garmin's speaker is adequate enough.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just got a 1300T for my bday yesterday. I love it so far, i plugged it into my computer and uploaded a nissan logo so that when i turn it on it boots up with a nissan symbol. its plenty loud (i choose the austrailian voice) dont know what advantages going through the whole ordeal of installing the factory mount has. It has a nice big screen and you CAN input data while moving(it just asks you if you want to disable saftey mode).

I mounted it to the panel where my 4wheel drive knob would be so its down low. and it works great! i love the economy calcualtor on it. tells you how much you spend per drive on gas.

thumbs up to the Garmin Nuvi 1300T

edit: i guess having it hardwire would be an advantage but i like to hide mine when parked. so i can plug it into the outlet and hide while charging. they are the number 1 iteam cars are broken into to steal

·
Registered
87 Posts
Iedit: i guess having it hardwire would be an advantage but i like to hide mine when parked. so i can plug it into the outlet and hide while charging.
The 2 advantages of the Nissan housing is that when you are not using it just flip it down and it is not conspicuous. Also it is hardwired to the switched power so it powers off with the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
ah the setup i was thinking of is different. In my friends X it has a dock on top and it just sits in a cradle. iv never seen those!

sorry rallykid hope you figure it out

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the dock and a seperately purchased 750 (which I loaded a Nissan emblem for the load screen as well Hunter ;)) and love it. As for your question, I have seen people using TomTom and Magellan units buy the Garmin dock, toss the 750 connector and modify it to use their unit's coordinating connector/mount. You just have to make sure your unit fits inside the housing, the ultra big ones will not obviously. If you do a search you may be able to find some of those retrofits. Best of luck to you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts