Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my Fabtech 6" lift for a little over a year now, and I'm fed up with the steering geometry causing the outside edges of my front tires to scrub their life away...
The geometry is just plain wrong, and no amount of alignment adjustments can correct it.
Regardless of which direction I turn my wheels, the outside wheel in the turn, is always turning sharper than the inside wheel.
If I'm making a slight right turn, then the right side wheel makes the slight right, while the left wheel is trying to make a right hand u-turn!
This results in an extreme amount of toe-in, but only when I'm turning the wheels. When I'm going straight forward, I have about 1/8" of toe-out.

I've been looking at other spindles, to see if anyone makes a 6" lifted spindle that will correct the bad geometry, but not having any luck.

If that's not enough, the steering knuckle (where the outer tie rod end connects to the spindle) is making contact with the lower spring cup, on my extended-length Radflo 2.0 coilovers...
Which is part of the reason I'm looking for new spindles.

The way my truck is right now, I have to make a 9-point turn, in the same space that I could normally make a 3-point turn, in my 4x4 Armada!

Has anyone else on here, that has the fabtech 6" DB lift, had any luck correcting their steering geometry?
Is the steering geometry this far off, on all the DB spindles?
Has anyone had similar issues with other brands of lift kits?
If so, has anyone found a solution?

And what do I have to do to keep my coilovers far enough away from the spindle's steering knuckle, to keep it from making contact?

And no, I can't go back to stock, and then do a Titan swap - since the DB lift forces you to cut the front diff mounting brackets, to install the new drop brackets...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dayum that sucks that you can't go back to stock. I've heard people make brackets for there's to bolt up instead of cutting but it's a little late for that. You are honestly the first person I've heard have issues with a fabtech lift kit. It sucks cuz I know how much money that lift cost and you would think that spending 2 grand on a lift kit wouldn't hurt the geometry steering capabilities of the truck but guess so. I wish you luck man and hope you find your answer. Free bump for a guy that needs help

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Yeah the Fabtech R&D sucks balls. I had their kit on my '11 and hated it. You can check it out in the DB lift link in my sig.
I have the Calmini kit on the new truck and it's night and day difference. None of the steering geometry BS, none of the drive line angle BS and no oddball ABS activation on freeway on ramps.
Not much you can do about the Fabtech spindles unfortunately short of ditching the kit all together. You can pick up just the front half kit from Calmini assuming they actually have them in stock. Worst customer service in the industry but their kit is light years better than Fabtech.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the Fabtech R&D sucks balls. I had their kit on my '11 and hated it. You can check it out in the DB lift link in my sig.
I have the Calmini kit on the new truck and it's night and day difference. None of the steering geometry BS, none of the drive line angle BS and no oddball ABS activation on freeway on ramps.
Not much you can do about the Fabtech spindles unfortunately short of ditching the kit all together. You can pick up just the front half kit from Calmini assuming they actually have them in stock. Worst customer service in the industry but their kit is light years better than Fabtech.
Cool! I thought I read your thread before installing my Fabtech lift, but being inexperienced with lift kits, I went with what was available, and at the time, the fabtech kit was one week out, where as the calmini kit was more than 2 months out.

I did the install myself (being a master tech, it was rather easy), and after everything was installed, I only snugged down the majority of the suspension bolts and diff case mounting bolts, I lowered it down, worked the suspension, then torqued every bolt I could get to, with it sitting at its new ride height (something Fabtech probably didn't do with yours, and may have led to the exploding front diff case).

Now that I'm reading your thread for the second time, almost everything you've said, makes SO much more sense, because I'm having every exact issue you've mentioned! I welded the lower sway bar link brackets to the LCA, which helped a LOT!

Oh, and yeah, my CO's are being hit, scraped, and dinged by the steering knuckle, at right about 3/4 turn... don't yet know what to do about that one...

But aside from all that, my question is, would you recommend trying to replace just my spindles with calmini spindles?
Or bite the bullet, and try to get the whole front-only calmini kit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts