Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this up awhile back. I still think a fabrication forum would be very helpful.
I got to thinking about this after boykodaniel ask about building rock sliders. I am sure there are lots of people that are interested in fabbing their own parts but just don't know how to get started.
There are quite a few people who have fab experience on this site and would gladly offer their knowledge.
Just wanted to see if there was any interest.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Awesome idea.

I am a metal fabricator (entry level) and I like to build one off parts for my rig.
Right now a hood, rock sliders, and a roof rack are in-progress.
Ive been lucky to learn from some very skilled workers over the years and its good to pass along some of the knowledge.

There are a lot of people on here who've build bumpers, SAS components, sliders, etc....it saves a lot of money (but costs a ton of time).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great Idea

I think this is a great idea. I am not a fabricator but I am a drafter/designer. I work in AutoCAD and AutoDesk Inventor (solid modeling). I would love to help design/draw up some parts. Maybe in exchange for some welding help ::grin::

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've fabbed hotrod frames, VW trike frames, in bed spare tire carries, etc......
Been bussy with new wife, kids and house last few yrs, but love reading and seeing pics of others work and ideas.
Maybe offer some advice.
Did I mention pics?
Pics are a must.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a retired machinist but worked in composites,spacecraft assembly,precision assembly,integration and test.I also trained our apprentices.Althouh I took my first CNC class in 1972 and a few more in later years,I preferred manual machining.
I think like most people who are into the trades,started building stuff as kids.
Started building motorcycles (Harleys) in high school.Army light vehicle mechanic,built drag bikes(Hona fours) and race motors while going to trade school etc.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this is a great idea. I am not a fabricator but I am a drafter/designer. I work in AutoCAD and AutoDesk Inventor (solid modeling). I would love to help design/draw up some parts. Maybe in exchange for some welding help ::grin::
I use "Solid.Works" and before that "Master Cam".My Solid Works program is an older version(legal) but good enough for what I do.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, don't know much about mobile apps.Like I mentioned before I use Solid Works but it is expensive. I saw autocad programs for around a hundred bucks.It was called "Turbocad".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cad

I use "Solid.Works" and before that "Master Cam".My Solid Works program is an older version(legal) but good enough for what I do.
I have my drafting/solid modeling certificate in soliworks. I use inventor now but it is almost identical to soliworks. My on the job training was working for a machinest that taught me "the correct" way to draft verses the school way.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you familiar with ANSI Y14(I think there is a later version)? That is the Industry standard for geometric toleranceing. A lot of people hate it but it is because they don't understand the system.
It leaves no doubt as far as dimensioning and toleranceing,from the designer, technicians to quality control.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome idea.

I am a metal fabricator (entry level) and I like to build one off parts for my rig.
Right now a hood, rock sliders, and a roof rack are in-progress.
Ive been lucky to learn from some very skilled workers over the years and its good to pass along some of the knowledge.

There are a lot of people on here who've build bumpers, SAS components, sliders, etc....it saves a lot of money (but costs a ton of time).
Yes,it does take a lot of time. I started to build my truck the year I bought it(2007) and finished it in 2014. The majority of the work actually was done in two years.
Saving money? Rather than paying someone to build my truck,I bought equipment and tools. The initial investment was probably more than the cost to pay a shop to build it. I did have Wright Fabrication build my cage since safety was a big concern.
Yes,I spent a lot on equipment but you don't need to,to get started.You will be amazed what you can do with a drill motor,hack saw and a set of files.Of course you will be limited to what you can make but simple brackets,no problem.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yes,it does take a lot of time. I started to build my truck the year I bought it(2007) and finished it in 2014. The majority of the work actually was done in two years.
Saving money? Rather than paying someone to build my truck,I bought equipment and tools. The initial investment was probably more than the cost to pay a shop to build it. I did have Wright Fabrication build my cage since safety was a big concern.
Yes,I spent a lot on equipment but you don't need to,to get started.You will be amazed what you can do with a drill motor,hack saw and a set of files.Of course you will be limited to what you can make but simple brackets,no problem.
I agree and disagree with whistler.
He is correct, you don't need a lot of expensive equip.
The only addition to his list of basics would be an angle grinder.

With the basic tools above, a welder and some time I built a brush/crash bar for a taco I once had. Hit a deer doing 60 and was able to drive it home. Officer said had I not had the protection, he would have to call a tow truck to get me home.

Again I think a fab forum within this forum would be awsome. I wouldn't want to limit it to just projects for our trucks.
Well maybe a whole separate forum wouldn't be so bad, but I like the idea of seeing what you guys are up to.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would be very interested in that. Love making up my own things, even if it ends up costing more than just buying it by the time I'm done!

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now I am starting work on a pitching machine.My friend wants to build one for his kids and doing the design work(he is an engineer,electrical and mechanical).He is a gear head and built a turocharged small block for his Trans Am years ago.
I am still recuperating so I might have to show him what to do on the mill.
Also just got the material for a GPS mount for a friend's class 1 car.
I was thinking about machining hydro bump holders like the ones on my truck down the road.
Also people been asking about the"White Rhino" light mounts.I have 3 grand in my tube bender that's been sitting awhile since I finished the tube work on the truck.If someone sent me the design and dimensions it would be easy to make.
Yes,4.5 angle grinders are great.I have a bunch,cutting disc,flap disc,grinding wheels etc.Although I don't buy them,people have had good luck with the ones from "Harbor Freight".I guess I am a tool snob.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can only upload one photo at a time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a class on GD&T years ago. Unfortunately I was laid off from that job before I could put it to use. After that I kind of stumbled into being an electrical/mechanical drafter for about ten years and none of the places I worked for had any use for GD&T. I know am a"jack of all trades" drafer. I do anything from P&ID's to electrical diagrams to ducting design to general arrangements and plot plans.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took drafting in junior high school as well as wood shop,electrical and metal shop.It was required.In high school I was a math major thinking I was going to be an engineer.Decided I rather work with my hands.
It was the same with my apprentices.They served four year apprenticeship and had to complete their degree in machining at our local j c. The company always pushed them to further their education and become engineers. They stayed.being machinist.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Solid Works"
Pretty much bed ridden for awhile.Hope nobody minds all my post.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 193 Posts