Nissan Frontier Forum banner

EZ Down - Tailgate Damper

16K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  4Star 
#1 ·
Just found this online: www.ezdown.com

It's a tailgate damper that slows the opening of the tailgate so it doesn't slam open/down. Has anyone purchase/installed this? According to the web site, it doesn't require any drilling and uses the stock factory holes.

I tried emailing them to order, but didn't get a response. I'm guessing this is one of those "build on demand" scenarios where once they get enough inquiries, they make a production run.

#3 ·
It looks good to me, but I wonder if it will help in closing the tailgate as well? I have to
exert a lot of effort in lifting the tailgate. An assist in closing the tailgate would be a real plus in my books.

Someone try this and let us know how to install it and how well it works.

OkieScot

#4 ·
I would like the Titan setup better. It works both ways. There is a company out there that makes that bar setup for full size trucks, but not for ours yet.

#5 ·
I wonder if the Titan hinges would fit on the Frontier-That set-up for the tailgate makes it feel weightless. You can literally close the tailgate with one finger!

#6 ·
#9 ·
I called and talked to Truck Specialties, about the use of the Tailgate Easy Lift. This unit would work both lowering and raising the tailgate. The only thing that would matter is the weight of the tailgate. It should be in the range of 34 and 42 lbs. I will confirm the wt, I left my notes at work. They will probably look into making one for the Frontier and like sized trucks. They have to find a material, either with a smaller diameter or trosion, so that it will not keep pulling the gate closed. I am not going to bet on when it will be available to us. The tailgate must hold the spring of the rod down. I will talk to the machinist at work, he may have some idea. This is not a sure thing. So, some spring strength spec on rod thickness would be useful.
It may be easy to make. Just a little heat and bend.

#13 ·
4Banger said:
Just found this online: www.ezdown.com

It's a tailgate damper that slows the opening of the tailgate so it doesn't slam open/down. Has anyone purchase/installed this? According to the web site, it doesn't require any drilling and uses the stock factory holes.

I tried emailing them to order, but didn't get a response. I'm guessing this is one of those "build on demand" scenarios where once they get enough inquiries, they make a production run.
Thanks 4banger for the find. I also put an email in for the frontier. Hopefully, if enough inquire, they will have one avail. for our awesome trucks.

#14 ·
Update. Talked to the machinist at work. Drew a big zero... He could not recommend a material without knowing the type of steel that they used. He is right. Any old steel rod may not have any spring to it when twisted. So, anyone with more thoughts may be able to go further on this. I sumbitted the email at their website to get a note when it becomes available. And I do not even want to guess when.. sorry...so maybe www.ezdown.com can come through.

#15 ·
Keep me posted if you here somthing or find something for the Frontiers!

#17 ·
Good news: It looks like these guys finally have an online store for the EZ Down.

Bad News: the Frontier isn't on the applicaiton list.

Let's all hit them up with emails/calls and then maybe we can get a group buy or at the very least, have them start making a kit for our trucks.

http://store.ezdown.com

Stabilus US
1201 Tulip Drive
Gastonia, NC 28052
(704) 865-7444
info@ezdown.com

#22 ·
don't hold your breath guys, i emailed them twice and haven't heard a peep. i've noticed that they have only full size trucks listed on there site. chances are that they just don't make them for mid size trucks as of yet.
nick

#24 ·
I've had mine for a year or so. I likey mine. Only helps for the going down though.

#28 ·
:) Funny!! :)

Actually, despite reviewer's claims, Frontier's tailgate is fine to me. Nissan could have fit a torsion bar in there to reduce the effort, but at higher cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.