Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2022 4X4 CC SV
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the Dee Zee EZ down on your Frontier? I like the design of Dee Zee over the Sachs because the Dee Zee has a ball and socket mount not the clip on. My research indicates that Dee Zee does NOT make one for the Frontier however I am willing to mod the installation (ie drilling a new hole in tailgate), has anyone done this and if so, which Dee Zee (model #) did you use. Thanks for any help you can provide as I really want add a tailgate assist.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Sachs, DZ, Stabilus - pretty much the same thing. I couldn't locate a Dee Zee version for our trucks either a few years back.

Though these are the clip style, I picked mine up from this seller - would buy a few sets at a time because they will eventually wear out. Look up the thread that recommends adding a zip tie around the metal retaining clip; works great.

I'm going on almost 3 years on my 1st one and it is slowly starting to go. No biggie as they are pretty cheap. While you're at it, can pick up some hood struts too here. Again, would pick up a couple of pairs - these used to be around $90 - now are $65 w/free shipping.

Enjoy the truck!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Has anyone installed the Dee Zee EZ down on your Frontier? I like the design of Dee Zee over the Sachs because the Dee Zee has a ball and socket mount not the clip on. My research indicates that Dee Zee does NOT make one for the Frontier however I am willing to mod the installation (ie drilling a new hole in tailgate), has anyone done this and if so, which Dee Zee (model #) did you use. Thanks for any help you can provide as I really want add a tailgate assist.
Just make sure that the strut is not fully extended, such that the weight of the tailgate is supported only by the strut. That was the weak point of the recent Sachs kits, the strut was a tiny bit too short and eventually cracked at the end.

Vic

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know if the part in Post 2 above will fit the 2017 Frontier? I have a new one coming this week and noticed the tailgate weight on the test drive. Are the tailgates the same as the '15 and earlier models?

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Does anyone know if the part in Post 2 above will fit the 2017 Frontier? I have a new one coming this week and noticed the tailgate weight on the test drive. Are the tailgates the same as the '15 and earlier models?
2017 Frontier is basically the same as the 09-up. Other than the winglet cap thing, the tailgate hasn't changed.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I recently installed a EZ down. LOve it. SHould have done it 10 years ago when I first bought my truck. There is one ol boy on this web site that makes a ez down add on plate. This prevents the clip from popping off. He makes them and sends them to you free. Also refuses payment. Ask that you pay it forward. The thread is down somewhere in the exterior mode section.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Hello,

Checking to see if the product you purchased worked on the 2017. All other research has products up to the 2016 model which should be the same, but why risk it?

If you had success please send links. How was install? Fairly easy?

Thanks!
Read 4 posts up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, they fit perfectly on my '17, and the factory cables stop the gate before the strut is fully extended.

Qty (1) SG325900EZ EZDown Fits Nissan Frontier Tailgate Dropgate Lowering Kit | eBay

That's for one, I did both sides. Looks like they're even cheaper now than a couple of months ago. Add zip-ties to the top clip-on "retainers" or they will pop off.

The Offroad Gorilla hood struts are also recommended. They get the prop rod out of the way, allow the hood to open a few extra inches, and make hood opening a one-hand deal.

Nissan Hood Strut Kit, Hood Rod Eliminator ? OffroadGorilla.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, they fit perfectly on my '17, and the factory cables stop the gate before the strut is fully extended.

Qty (1) SG325900EZ EZDown Fits Nissan Frontier Tailgate Dropgate Lowering Kit | eBay

That's for one, I did both sides. Looks like they're even cheaper now than a couple of months ago. Add zip-ties to the top clip-on "retainers" or they will pop off.

The Offroad Gorilla hood struts are also recommended. They get the prop rod out of the way, allow the hood to open a few extra inches, and make hood opening a one-hand deal.

Nissan Hood Strut Kit, Hood Rod Eliminator ? OffroadGorilla.com
Got it! Thanks to all for the "tailgate assistance"!

·
Super Moderator
11,738 Posts
I just bought two of them. I had a Titan and it was done by Nissan I liked it a lot.

Clint

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
You know I asked this and no one replied. THe EZ down is nice, but it would be even better if there is an UP assist like on the Titan. I believe the Titan loads up a coil/clock spring that is hidden the the hinge when you lower the gate. THis ihelps gently lower the TG but not slow like an EZ down. Then uses the stored energy to lift the gate back up when you close it. THe result is wonderful. If you have ever lifted a Titan TG it feels like the gate weighs only a couple of pounds. When in reality it is heavier than ours.

IIRC the part was about $50, which is very reasonable if it can be made to work.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/titan-tailgate-assist-331249/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed this morning.

Took a bit longer than expected due to one of the tailgate bolts from the kit not lining up and "catching" for some time. After several F bombs it finally caught and screwed in.

The thing is a nice little accessory. My old truck had a factory tailgate assist and it was missed dearly when moving over to the Frontier last spring.

I only installed on the driver's side for now. We'll see how she does. I don't mind that the tailgate might be off center a little. If a second unit is needed in the future I will install one. I might just get an extra anyway to have in stock if this thing ever dies.

Below is the pic from the other thread for the zip tie trick to keep the chrome retaining clip from popping off.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Interesting development. Anyone else? I wonder if it's because there was only one on one side?

Edit: That guy had it on one side only, which I believe tends to push the tailgate sideways, which may have contributed to his problem?

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/3558034-post34564.html
Nope. I only have one and it has worked perfectly. I do have the upgraded aluminum "hold on" plate. Have had it for about a year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts