Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to get this crap off the Fronty. I tried washing it and the birdcrap came off but the sap remains. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
^x2 I just did this as I was at a friends and parked under some white pines and had a lot of goo spots.But if you dont have the clay bar,rubbing alcohol/mineral spirits will work but wax area after you do it. I recently got the latest formula of bug/tar remover and it's crap imo. Did work but took quite a few apps. to do it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to clay it. You wouldnt believe the amount of sap that has landed on my truck.:itsfriday:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Clay bar should take it off.
YouTube - How to Clay Bar
clay bar will not take off tree sap , you need goof -off & make sure the paint is clean & cool ( shade ) make sure to re-apply wax as it will be stripped off , as far as bird dropings NEVER let them sit on the paint any amount of time as bird dropings are very acidic and will etch the claer coat and will never look the same , good luck RACELINE DETAIL

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I've personally taken sap off the paint with a claybar.

Claybar will take off pretty much anything stuck to the paint.
You probably should know that if you are a detailer dude. :confused:

Goof-off will probably work also, but I hate using any harsh chemicals on the paint if it's not necessary.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've personally taken sap off the paint with a claybar.

Claybar will take off pretty much anything stuck to the paint.
You probably should know that if you are a detailer dude. :confused:

Goof-off will probably work also, but I hate using any harsh chemicals on the paint if it's not necessary.
next detailer you see ask him , im telling you its not what to use , i dont think anyone wants to waste a 30.00 clay bar with gooey sap & did you know when you clay excessive you are actually taking some clear coat with ya !! i would not clay your car more than once a year.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to clay it. You wouldnt believe the amount of sap that has landed on my truck.:itsfriday:
goof off works awesome, formula xd.......

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
next detailer you see ask him , im telling you its not what to use , i dont think anyone wants to waste a 30.00 clay bar with gooey sap & did you know when you clay excessive you are actually taking some clear coat with ya !! i would not clay your car more than once a year.
All I'm saying is a claybar works for removing sap no question about it I've done it.
Really bad crap like sap (or tar) gets the old clay I have laying around and then chucked.
Besides you probably need to throw out the clay after using it anyway if when you used it you actually had a good reason, ie. lots and lots of junk in the paint.
I almost never re-use clay, it usually gets pitched after use unless it was a small area I corrected.
Why would I want to drag debris from a previous claying over my paint the next time, that's ridiculous.

And I only claybar when it's absolutely necessary just for the record.

I bought my truck used and the first good detailing included taking the claybar to it (because it needed it).
Haven't needed the claybar since (16 months later) because I stay on top of keeping the finish pristine for the most part.

By the way, I've done lots of detailing, it's been a hobby of mine for the last 25 years.

Everybody has their favorite products and methods for detailing.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out an alternative and something that has worked for me in the past.

Heck, even the dude in the video link above mentioned being able to get tree sap off with clay.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i would think a steam cleaner would work great, but i'm no detailer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oooh carefull with that goof off, any kind of mineral spirits is goign to remove paint and or clear coat, mabyee only in small amounts, but it will still take it off, i'd be more comfortable usign gasoline or kerosine than goof off, although they may be pretty similar. i like the steam idea, steam the sap until it's running thin and it may come right off like water. tree sap is water soluble What Is Tree Sap?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts