Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick forum search and did not come up with much. After washing the truck today I noticed that all my exterior plastic on the rear chrome bumper, the door handles and bed rails looked that dull gray color.

Is there a replacement kit available? Would it be better to plasti-dip it all?

Anybody been down this road? Thanks for any input/suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
If you really want to fix it, you can replace all those OEM plastic parts at Courtesyparts.com, but that's a long list and it will cost you some $.

Other options: Plastidip is temporary, some bedliner-type spray would be more permanent but it depends on if you like that look. Or you can restore them with some proper prep and a can of Krylon Fusion, I've seen this method done on other vehicles before and if you do it right it looks as good as new (and costs a lot less than replacing the parts)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you really want to fix it, you can replace all those OEM plastic parts at Courtesyparts.com, but that's a long list and it will cost you some $.

Other options: Plastidip is temporary, some bedliner-type spray would be more permanent but it depends on if you like that look. Or you can restore them with some proper prep and a can of Krylon Fusion, I've seen this method done on other vehicles before and if you do it right it looks as good as new (and costs a lot less than replacing the parts)

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is a product called "Back to Black" or something like that. Someone used it on CF recently and had good results. I saw some something on YouTube a while back. Seems like it's pretty strong/nasty stuff. Maybe a solvent based product? It is supposed to restore plastic back to like new condition and protect.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a product called "Back to Black" or something like that. Someone used it on CF recently and had good results. I saw some something on YouTube a while back. Seems like it's pretty strong/nasty stuff. Maybe a solvent based product? It is supposed to restore plastic back to like new condition and protect.

Thanks for the reply. Went to Walmart and picked up Mothers Back to Black. Just finished first go round. Looks pretty good. I'll see how long it holds up, but for $7 it is a large amount and I'll be able to treat many times if needed. The reviews were pretty good. McGuire s also has a similar product.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The back to black for me usually only lasts a month or so. A few washes. Then it is back to its faded self.

I just painted my grill and plan on painting those bumper pieces as well. They unsnap from the bumper from underneath with a pair of pliers. Simple enough to just do that and not very expensive at all.

Part of the issue is it never really was a black to begin with. More of a charcoal gray. I painted my grill black and those bumper pieces would look better black too.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The back to black for me usually only lasts a month or so. A few washes. Then it is back to its faded self.

I just painted my grill and plan on painting those bumper pieces as well. They unsnap from the bumper from underneath with a pair of pliers. Simple enough to just do that and not very expensive at all.

Part of the issue is it never really was a black to begin with. More of a charcoal gray. I painted my grill black and those bumper pieces would look better black too.

Another good longer term option. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I've gone through this...

The one that bugged me the most was the rear bumper step.

Started with Back to Black, as mentioned only lasted like a month. Also makes the plastic SUPER slippery, so it sucks on things you stand on.

Tried the heat gun method, lasted a few months and was pretty easy. Did that a few times.

Finally, I got tired of not finding a permanent solution. Removed the plastic bit from the bumper and gave a good wash/degreasing and light sanding followed by Rustoleum spray bedliner.
It has a nice and light texture once dry. I let it bake in the sun for a week before putting it back on and even then it did not fully cure until about month went by. It's been solid for a few years now and added grip on the step. Fairly good about not chipping, easy to touch up. No regrets on that one, better than original.

^This works good for bits that will be abused. For other things like the wiper cowl I like to use some black Plastidip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts