Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know your opinion about the extended upper ball joints that some companies sell mostly in Australia, would they solve, at least in a moderate way, the coil bucket contact?
Would you guys use them of light off roading?

Link to the product:

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,653 Posts
From their website:

Using an extended ball joint allows your suspension to use its full travel by pushing the upper arm away from the chassis giving you the ability to lift the front end over 2["] without the expense of aftermarket arms. Our replacement ball joints are supplied 35mm longer than OE, which when installed, allows exactly 35mm extra down travel at the wheel.​

35mm is approximately 1.4".

One of the suspension forum stickies features calcs. If the stock travel is 5.6" and if this gives downward travel without sacrificing upward travel, then that would mean a total travel of roughly 7.0". This would put it pretty even with the PRG UCA. It's not as much travel as the SPC arm at somewhere between 7.4" and 7.8", but the SPC doesn't have travel limit stops either.

I could see some advantages here, the UCA still has a hard limit on the coil bucket, more factory parts are left alone so if one trusts the quality of factory UCAs over aftermarket then this would tickle that. What I don't know is how much force this puts on the UCA itself in the press-fit socket. Will it wear out the UCA at that socket prematurely?

Also are there any potential wheel or tire clearance issues that need to be verified? In other words this is essentially lengthening the distance from the centerpoint of the hub to the top of the steering knuckle and UCA assembly. Will this clear 16" wheels? If not, how about 17"?

EDIT: I'll add one more thing, if a truck owner lives somewhere that is particularly hostile to truck modifications and has an inspection regimen, this mod might much more easily sneak in under the radar than a tubular UCA would, especially once it gets some weathering on it. No inspector is going to check the upper control arm ball joint height unless the ball joint has enough play to fail an equipment-readiness inspection anyway, so in those circumstances it might be the best choice, if it's durable enough and doesn't cause undue wear on the UCA itself.

Reactions: malacde

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I follow a couple of Navarra pages on FB, as TWX said, if you live someplace with insane modification laws, like Australia or Europe, yes, these will work, but, here in the states its not really an issue. In addition, the cost to ship might negate anything else. Talk to Nisstec or All Dogs for a decent set of uppers.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would like to know your opinion about the extended upper ball joints that some companies sell mostly in Australia, would they solve, at least in a moderate way, the coil bucket contact?
Would you guys use them of light off roading?
View attachment 329871
View attachment 329872
Link to the product:
Curious about those as well. I've seen these from Australian sellers for the D40 and they they are specific to Thai or Spanish built D40s -- diameter, and whether the ball joint presses in from the top or bottom. I was never able to determine if our American-built D40s are the same as the Thai or Spanish built and which would be compatible. It would give you plenty of clearance, but are they sturdy enough? I believe the lower UCA takes more of the load than the upper, but it could be catastrophic if that fails driving down the highway.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Using a ball joint spacer was pretty common. I had some in my some in my hardbody. Would think they would work fine. Though Like it was said previously. I am not sure they will acutely give any lift, but increased CB clearance.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Using a ball joint spacer was pretty common. I had some in my some in my hardbody. Would think they would work fine. Though Like it was said previously. I am not sure they will acutely give any lift, but increased CB clearance.
I had them on my D21 as well to correct the camber after a lift.

Reactions: malacde

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
So I did a little more digging. A Canadian Xterra owner over on thenewx put this kind of balljoint into his rig about two years ago. Unfortunately other than a picture he doesn't have any more information, doesn't remember if his truck was more like Thai or Spanish builds, doesn't have the documentation on the diameter of the balljoint. I went to cross-reference P/N of the American-spec balljoint, but then realized that Nissan USA doesn't offer just the balljoint as far as I can tell. I find that the stock UCA part number does cross to an international/Navara model but I haven't yet found if that is in reference to Spain- or Thailand-sourced trucks.

From the factory, one has upper balljoints that press-in from above, the other that press-in from below. As important as that is though, more important is the OD of the balljoint housing, it obviously must match first and foremost.

·
Registered
718 Posts
So I did a little more digging. A Canadian Xterra owner over on thenewx put this kind of balljoint into his rig about two years ago. Unfortunately other than a picture he doesn't have any more information, doesn't remember if his truck was more like Thai or Spanish builds, doesn't have the documentation on the diameter of the balljoint. I went to cross-reference P/N of the American-spec balljoint, but then realized that Nissan USA doesn't offer just the balljoint as far as I can tell. I find that the stock UCA part number does cross to an international/Navara model but I haven't yet found if that is in reference to Spain- or Thailand-sourced trucks.

From the factory, one has upper balljoints that press-in from above, the other that press-in from below. As important as that is though, more important is the OD of the balljoint housing, it obviously must match first and foremost.
I wonder if the Thai UCA would bolt up the US D40? But the cost of the parts and labor one would be better of with SPCs.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I wonder if the Thai UCA would bolt up the US D40? But the cost of the parts and labor one would be better of with SPCs.
So what I'm running up against, I've found a website with basically all of Nissan's global part numbers for all models listed:

The problem is that part numbers from the Thai, Spanish, and American sources appear to be unique to the factory. So I cannot compare if the parts are actually the same by part-number or not.

As an example for front suspension I'm finding the following:

Europe​
Right Upper​
54524EB30A​
America
Right Upper
54524EA00A
54524EA000
Asia​
Right Upper​
54524EB70D​
Europe​
Left Upper​
54525EB30A​
America
Left Upper
54525EA00A
54525EA000
Asia​
Left Upper​
54525EB70D​
Europe​
Right Lower​
54500EB300​
54500EB31A​
54525EB30A​
54524EB30A​
America
Right Lower
54500EA00A
54500ZG90B
Asia​
Right Lower​
54500EB71A​
Europe​
Left Lower​
54501EB300​
54501EB31A​
54525EB30A​
54524EB30A​
54500EB300​
America
Left Lower
54501EA00A
54501ZG90B
Asia​
Left Lower​
54501EB71A​

My hope had been that one of the sources from one of the other factories would have been the same part number as the American factory. Unfortunately it looks like they coded the part numbers to the factory of original production, rather than to which parts are identical or at least dimensionally identical. This is presuming that any of the parts are dimensionally identical between factories.

For what it's worth, it looks like American factory trucks are body code D40, with Spanish being D40M and Thai as D40T.

When I looked at pictures it looks like the American and Thai UCAs are much more similar, with the Spanish UCA being different, but without dimensions on the images that doesn't tell me enough to know if they're exactly the same design or not.

From the factory it look like American UCA ball joints install from above, which also looks like how Thai UCA ball joints were installed, with Spanish UCA ball joints differing in that they install from below, but Rockauto shows a Delphi replacement ball joint for the American model that installs from below. It may no be so much about the install direction as it is about the diameter and how tall the socket that it friction-fits into is.

So I guess it's time to try to figure out diameters. Yay. So much fun. /sarcasm

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
So another observation from an Australian e-bay listing lists the following:

NissanNavara2014D40 Ute 2.5 dCi 4WD (D40T)AWD Diesel 2.5L 4cyl 140kW YD25DDTi2488cc 140kW (Diesel)
NissanNavara2014D40 Ute 3.0 dCi 4WDAWD Diesel 3.0L 6cyl 170kW V9X2993cc 170kW (Diesel)
NissanNavara2014D40 Ute 4.0RWD Petrol 4.0L 6cyl 198kW VQ403954cc 198kW (Petrol)

Bear in mind that trucks for Australia were sent only from Spain and Thailand. No American production were sent there.

The first one indicates Thai production, D40T.

The second and third are Spanish production, as the 4.0 V6 gas motor and the 3.0 diesel motor were not installed in the Thai factory.

So perhaps while Thai and Spanish trucks had different ball joints from the factory, one installed from above and the other from below, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe the hole in the UCA for the ball joint is the same regardless of where they come from.

The annoying thing trying to resolve this is that Nissan doesn't sell the ball joint by itself anywhere. There is no Nissan p/n to refer to.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure now that this information is incorrect. I haven't confirmed actual dimensions but it looks like they're different and that e-bay's method of determining compatibility is giving misleading information.

Reactions: rdp91356

·
Registered
718 Posts
So another observation from an Australian e-bay listing lists the following:

NissanNavara2014D40 Ute 2.5 dCi 4WD (D40T)AWD Diesel 2.5L 4cyl 140kW YD25DDTi2488cc 140kW (Diesel)
NissanNavara2014D40 Ute 3.0 dCi 4WDAWD Diesel 3.0L 6cyl 170kW V9X2993cc 170kW (Diesel)
NissanNavara2014D40 Ute 4.0RWD Petrol 4.0L 6cyl 198kW VQ403954cc 198kW (Petrol)

Bear in mind that trucks for Australia were sent only from Spain and Thailand. No American production were sent there.

The first one indicates Thai production, D40T.

The second and third are Spanish production, as the 4.0 V6 gas motor and the 3.0 diesel motor were not installed in the Thai factory.

So perhaps while Thai and Spanish trucks had different ball joints from the factory, one installed from above and the other from below, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe the hole in the UCA for the ball joint is the same regardless of where they come from.

The annoying thing trying to resolve this is that Nissan doesn't sell the ball joint by itself anywhere. There is no Nissan p/n to refer to.
This Moog replacement upper ball joint looks like it installs from above. Might be able to get dimensions from Moog. EDIT: From what I've found diameter of these is 1.96" or 49.78mm, but that is probably the total diameter with the lip. The Austraila seller's eBay listing for the extended ball joint states: "42.30mm dia where the balljoint inserts in to the arm". It seems like it would fit. (the 25mm in the title refers to the thickness, or amount of extension)

Reactions: TWX

·
Registered
718 Posts
From the eBay seller:
25mm extended Upper Ball Joint
suits:
D40 Navara 2008-on
Please check the dia of your existing balljoint
42.30mm dia where the balljoint inserts in to the arm.
45.5mm Not Available in extended

Not exactly precise, but if the outermost dimension of the Moog is 1.96" or 49.78mm, then the inner dimension looks like 45mm based on this mock up I did. No way to no for sure without measuring.

Reactions: TWX

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This Moog replacement upper ball joint looks like it installs from above. Might be able to get dimensions from Moog. EDIT: From what I've found diameter of these is 1.96" or 49.78mm, but that is probably the total diameter with the lip. The Austraila seller's eBay listing for the extended ball joint states: "42.30mm dia where the balljoint inserts in to the arm". It seems like it would fit. (the 25mm in the title refers to the thickness, or mount of extension)
I want to try to find more information on the ones from PSR as they're 35mm in length instead of 25mm:

The top one is Spanish, the bottom is Thai.

IF they have the same socket diameter, then the one for the Spanish trucks looks like the housing below the control arm is much bigger, since only the top that pushes up into the A-arm has to fit through the hole. In contrast the Thai one has to slide in its entirety through the hole, which means its total OD must be no larger than that hole.

I may need to e-mail them. Having a bit of trouble calculating shipping from their website.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yeah.

I was surprised that the guy was so uninformed about the aftermarket parts he installed in his truck, especially since he had to go through the effort to measure and import.

Seems like if we can figure out what works, and if the parts are durable for those of us that aren't going to go do something insane, that this wuold really open up a lot of opportunities for inexpensive lifts. Hell, if the ball joint replacement can be done on-vehicle, without pulling the upper arm off, then the alignment itself may still be good enough to not require realigning at a shop, or if installing some kind of lift, make the drive to the alignment shop not so awkward.

Reactions: rdp91356

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've also started a discussion in the Navara subforum about models/factories/interchange.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Fou
From the eBay seller:
25mm extended Upper Ball Joint
suits:
D40 Navara 2008-on
Please check the dia of your existing balljoint
42.30mm dia where the balljoint inserts in to the arm.
45.5mm Not Available in extended

Not exactly precise, but if the outermost dimension of the Moog is 1.96" or 49.78mm, then the inner dimension looks like 45mm based on this mock up I did. No way to no for sure without measuring.
View attachment 329957
Now I'm confused.

I find one listing that claims Spanish trucks are 46.20mm diameter. I find another that claims that they're 42.10mm diameter.

I find another listing that claims Thai trucks are 46.20mm diameter.

Starting to develop a headache here. I did find two different LCA part numbers for European-produced trucks, one was seemingly standard duty, the other heavy duty. Perhaps Spanish-built trucks of certain trims were built with different front suspension components?

I think I'm going to have to visit an auto parts store with a pair of calipers to see what our American trucks are, then I can start to look more thoroughly at what the other factories used.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts